Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 27, 2020

It's about the flowers

by Rain Trueax




As seems to be happening to me lately, I wrote a lengthy blog for here, and then woke up Friday morning knowing I wanted to put none of it out. Writing these things ahead of time appears not to be working for me anymore as my life and mood changes, what is outside changes, and what seemed a good idea no longer does. 

So, I am going to make this all about flowers. Sometimes what the world needs most is something pretty and a reminder that life is more than the moment. It continues on even when we sometimes doubt it will.

Most of the flowers you will see are xeriscape and have been here a long time. The zinnias are the exception. Ranch Boss got a packet of seeds to see how they'd do and they have seemed to handle the 110ยบ F heat just fine. A spot of joy. Since they are behind a fence in the cat yard, I don't yet know if they will be safe in front, with no fence, from the rabbits and javelina. I might find out in the fall.










With the fire still raging-- almost 90,000 acres now, Covid-19 making Arizona a hot spot in more ways than one as it gets more cases than anywhere else-- and it's hitting younger people; and smoke making it impossible for me to go outside, having something bright here is the best I can do.

5 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

Ahhh, aren't flowers great? Love 'em!

Rain Trueax said...

I miss the ones I could grow in Oregon and hence really enjoy when people from more northerly regions post their photos like lilacs, peonies, etc. I think I can grow roses if I am to be here more. I had given the ones here away when we bought the place 21 years ago because we weren't here enough then. Whether we will be in the future is still being debated-- part of the changes in life upsets but that are necessary realities as we age.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

My bones feel so much better in the warmth. And I have such wonderful memories of the year or so we were in Tucson a number of years ago.
The flowers are coming out all at once and the hot days means they will not last long so better photograph soon.

thelma said...

The flora and fauna do have a calming effect. It must be so worrying with that fire in the distance, and then this virus stalking around. Do take care and take pleasure in the smaller things of life.

Rain Trueax said...

You are so right, Thelma. Add to it the big fire here and the race riots that seem to erupt spontaneously. Our country is aflame in many ways. I believe we will get through it but what an ugly time.