Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 20, 2020

Sometimes we'd rather...

by Rain Trueax


Given our times, I'd like to write something positive here. At the moment, for me, it turns out to be impossible if I want to be responsible.

That said, I don't believe people should get their facts from blogs, Facebook, Twitter or general social media with no real accountability. I think some readers depend on like Twitter, but that's unfortunate in a time where facts can be twisted, depending on the agenda of the one putting the 'facts' out. Yesterday, one thing will have been true. Today, the opposite.

Now, ideas are good to get from any source as we weigh them against our own knowledge. I have wanted this blog to stick with ideas, and I think it still is but what facts do I put into framing those ideas. There is the rub.

My reality for me, today, is the fires; and my gosh, that is still going on as fire ravages the Santa Catalina Mountains. At this point, they are taking it very seriously with 8 hotshot crews, 12 Type 2 hand crews, 2 Type 1 engines, 27 Type 3 engines, 4 Type 4 engines, 31 Type 6 engines, 3 Type 1 helicopters, 1 Type 2 helicopter, 2 Type 3 helicopters, 11 water tenders and 6 bulldozers. It is not stopping this fire.

Smoke has taken away one of my important mental health go-to's in a time of virus. Although not in danger, we are too close to the fires. I can't go outside without risking sinus infections, and I don't want to go to any doctor right now, but a bad sinus infection would mandate that (in my past experience). So I keep doors and windows closed and have to look out the windows to get my slice of nature-- some smoke seeps in anyway despite all those new windows (what a serendipitous thing was doing those this year). Looking outside is just not the same. But this fire is not done with my region of the desert. They are talking maybe no control until July 4th, but without soaking rains, that seems unlikely to me also. The one certainty is that it will change the landscape for my lifetime. :(


So, that was depressing but it's not all that is. That virus has not gone away. Too many have turned mask wearing into a political issue. IF you are one of those, please read the next two articles to get opinions from those in the field. This is especially true if you want to think it's over.



On Masks--
This article came from Facebook and I had to put it somewhere for others to read. As it turned out, I already had the right blog that I have not used since I created it in 2005. Maybe I will now as it was intended to be about bridges. Seems an apropos time for such a blog.

Ranch Boss and I wear masks although I don't go out much given I am one of those at high risk to have a bad result if I got it-- 4 markers against me. I am happy that Tucson now requires masks in public places. I hope Pima County will join in. 

Too many younger people think it's not about them. Our local paper posts the ages of those who are testing positive. Twice as many were 20 to 44 as those over 65. Some think they won't get that sick if they get it, being younger, well, this thing lingers in the body and who knows what it will do long term. Be smart-- not politically correct to whatever you think your ideology requires. It's a health issue. 

Now, for that positive stuff I promised... Well, this went on too long. So I decided to make a jigsaw puzzle from one of our recent photos. It relates to what next Saturday's blog will be about. If you decide to work it, I recommend reducing the number of pieces as this is a complex one. 


I really hope you will read these articles-- especially if you are among those who think it's over or that it's not about you. We don't have to have fear.  We have to do what we can and be informed.

3 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

I visited out west a few years ago when BC was having huge fires, the smoke in the air made it difficult to think straight. My lungs and sinuses were okay but I didn't want to breathe deeply and felt very lethargic and sluggish. And that was when I was many miles away from active fires. So I understand your concern there, and it is disheartening that you have the whole fire season still ahead of you! My province has had no new cases of Covid19 in 10 days and we are reopening parts of the local economy. Many more people here are wearing masks now, particularly older people but also some younger ones.

Rain Trueax said...

Good on your province for the virus. I just wish it'd be gone (like the fire) but wishes don't make things so.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Please stay safe everyone.