Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, January 03, 2009

Some flooding in the valley

After heavy rains about half of Thursday night, the rivers, in my part of the Coast Range and Willamette Valley, reached their peak flood stage Friday afternoon (for now), and it wasn't too bad. Definitely out of the banks but no damage to homes at least not ones that aren't flooded every time the sky sniffles.

The Portland Hydrologic Prediction Service (something I didn't even know existed until Fisherman (Parapluie's mate) sent it to me) said these rivers will not go over the 30' stage which is where we would potentially be talking about serious flooding.
Although it went over a few roads, it quickly retreated and tonight will be cold, drying it up further. When we drove out to the wildlife refuge, we saw very few birds, but on the way they seemed to be in almost all the (relatively) dry grass fields-- something that doesn't endear them to the farmers. No photos though as too far from the road.

These photos are all from Friday. You would have no way of knowing but all except the ones of the creek below, are in what normally would be pastures and grasslands-- definitely not lakes. Our creek has done a lot of damage to the trees along its banks, eroded a few places, but generally stayed in its banks.

10 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Wow!!!! Im glad it wasn't worse. The cleanup will be diffiult, I'm sure. However, your photos are wonderful as always!!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics Rain, Stay safe !!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Thank heavens it wasn't worse. Do you muck around out there in boots?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! That is really pretty scary isn't it? The possinility of terrib;e flooding is right there on the edge...! BEAUTIFUL Pictures, Rain.....!

Ugich Konitari said...

is this something that happens every year, or is happening only this year ? We've been having some weird weather in Mumbai, throughout this year, so I am just wondering if this is part of some universal weather change pattern etc.

Darlene said...

Any time the water gets high and leaves the riverbanks I get frightened. You seem to take this in stride and are very practical about it all.

Your pics say more than words and are, as always, very good. I love the sky that is apparent in them.

Dixon Webb said...

Good morning. 'Tis a bright and shining day. No rain here and the mountains are snow white and beautiful.

Your pictures are terrific. They remind me of where my sister lives, on a houseboat off Sauvie Island near Portland.

When she and her husband moved from a 2,000 sq. ft. home in Portland to a 750 sq. ft. houseboat on the river, I groaned. Thought it would never work.

Then my wife and I visited and fell in love with the place. Their deck (patio) is 12' by 18' and is a nice place to watch the river go by. And feed the ducks. And survey the wild land across the river.

With a beer in one hand and a book in the other a person wouldn't even notice the rain.

From your writing I am sure you realize how fortunate you are. From mine I realize how envious I am.

Dixon

Rain Trueax said...

I do love this area and am used to the idea that it floods now and again. Only twice have I felt threatened at the house potentially with too high of water.

I would not go near flooding streams unless an animal was in trouble. Generally they stay away but we have lost a few sheep that way in the many years we have been there. Usually lambs with no brains. When I go outside at this time of the year, I wear boots called muck boots because it's what they are wonderful for. They clasp the calf and are high enough to get through the barnyard when required.

The weather isn't particularly unusual for the idea of flooding with all our streams and rivers, but this fall going instantly to icy and snowing was a little different. For the last few years we have gotten something we call Pineapple Expresses where we get extremely heavy rains with warmer than usual temperatures for winter. They come up from the tropics although don't stay that warm by the time they get here. I couldn't say right now that the current conditions are unusual though.

I do feel lucky to live here especially to be on a stream even though once in awhile it has its risks. I have always thought though that living in a houseboat would be neat. I have seen many that look so interesting, and for all the reasons you describe. I will have to get out to Sauvie's Island next time I am in Portland to see more about what it would be like to have a houseboat there. The island itself is so pretty. There used to be a nudist beach or two there but not sure if they are still there or not.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.