Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, January 12, 2009

How much freedom do we have?

Part of my exploration of finding a new dream for old age has been looking at questions that could be part of the search. Does a spiritual power beyond ourselves pull the strings for what happens in life? Do we have free-will or are we predestined? Ignoring the spiritual possibilities for power, are there overlords right here, not as obvious as they might have once been but still in place that limit our options?

In looking again at such questions, I watched a film that I want to recommend everyone take the time to watch. It is available online for free as a download or you can buy the DVD for $5 from the site. The film is called Zeitgeist, the Movie. It explores religious roots, 9/11, and who really calls the shots in the world-- physically speaking that is.

It's a disillusioning movie to watch in some ways although it tries to add a bit of positiveness at the end. It's not enough to prove uplifting when you look at the possibility that so many of our problems are orchestrated to gain power for someone else. I can hear some saying now-- conspiracy nut talk. Well read history and you see many conspiracies to gain power and keep it.

What protects us from those who would take our power? Not ignorance. Not entertaining ourselves with comforting ideas. The thing that could protect us is if enough of us get informed. Will we? Good question. Watch the film if you are one who is willing to think. If not, well there are plenty of things out there to reassure us until the time comes it is too late to make changes.

There are things in the film that I doubted, but also questions raised that deserve answers; so if you decide to watch it, stick with it. Don't give it up when it says a few things with which you disagree. Watch it all and then come back to discuss the issues where you think it's wrong-- or right.

You can find the Zeitgeist site by a Google search. The newest version is available here:

Watching this will take almost two hours of your time. Can you afford it? Can you afford not to take that time? If it's not true, you have invested two hours in exploring some issues that don't threaten anything; but if it is, you might become part of the change that can turn this around.

Some of what Zeitgeist talks about (economic threats) seems a lot more likely today than it did when I first saw it. Events are moving so rapidly. Part of me would like to think the movie isn't true, can't be true; part of me looks at what has been happening and thinks it makes all too much sense.

It does relate to my dream search because a dream in a world without the freedom to make dreams come true is purely a fantasy.

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I saw it a year or so ago and I'd like to watch it again as it really made a great deal of asense to me.

I'll send you a link to a book that's pretty telling, too, when it comes to the mess we've got in this country.

Zabetha said...

I have mixed feelings about the video too. I don't know, but I do think that a lot of what happens in the world can be explained by basic human stupidity and greed, we don't need conspiracy theories for it. The fundamental flaw of a conspiracy theory is that it assumes incredible intelligence and efficiency on the part of the conspirators, they never make mistakes, their plans never go awry. But like I said, I do have mixed feelings about Zeitgeist.