Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, January 10, 2009

Focusing as part of finding Dreams

Focusing on what?
Inside or outside?
Where are dreams found?

Although I do oil painting, I also enjoy painting with the computer which is what the above work is. With my desire to find a new dream, I felt a digital self-portrait might be a possible tool. A self-portrait could be as simple as a stick figure with things around it or something more complex.

Finding a dream is about looking outside for inspiration but also inside for what resonates-- and when it does, why does it? What would be food for my soul at this point in my life? Self-portraits have a way of revealing things that we haven't planned and that's what happened this time.

I have written before about doing computer paintings and in particular self-portraits. I began doing them when I read about them from Natalie, at Blaugustine, who uses many such tools, to express herself. For me, I have considered my self-portraits to be like the sand painting Navajo or Tibetans do. They are not like fine art but rather a way to help me see things that I am missing.

To do this one, I didn't use a mirror but began by looking through my stock of photographs for one that spoke to how I felt right now. I have a stockpile of moody and what some might call unattractive webcam photographs. (I have written before about how a computer painting progresses and that can be found in Labels under painting.)

When I had finished the digital portrait, doing a lot of it by feel with no real plan for what would be the end result, I studied it for a bit. This is a woman who doesn't appear to see where she is going or even what is around her. The expression on her face is not depressed but a little cynical, disillusioned possibly. Is disillusionment what is blocking new dreams? A lack of trusting? Could she see beyond the swirls if she tried? She's not trying. I called it 'sorting out the dreams' and maybe she is beginning where she must.

I plan to do a few more of these self-portraits this winter and am thinking that as my mood changes, as things become clearer to me, perhaps the dream will emerge from the mist. I must be honest about what comes out-- succeed or not. I also don't plan to give myself a time limit on any of it. There will be no telling myself it should be this or that. Dreams have to be true. I very much believe there will be new ones. There always are.

January 10th is a full moon. A particularly auspicious time for charging the air for dreams of great power. Awhile back, I had written about an exercise where, during such a full moon, you take a piece of plain white paper and put it where the full moon can shine upon it. You are charging that paper with energy.

Then when the new moon comes, which will be January 26th (also the time of a solar eclipse which some say will make it astrologically very potent), you write your dreams and what you want to create in your life on that paper. I have done that before but to be honest not with much success. I think it's going to work better this time (but then I always think that)!

10 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

This is so interesting! I'll be watching how your efforts with this develop.

Darlene said...

I thought your painting looked like a sad woman who was going through a bad time. I guess we see different things in art. I'm glad my 'take' was wrong.

I have never searched for dreams. I have always known what I wanted. I guess that's because I am so darned practical. It's an interesting subject, though.

Anonymous said...

Rain, thanks for mentioning my self-portaits. We seem to be thinking along similar lines, and not for the first time! I'm about to start a self-portrait which I want to enter in the National Portrait Gallery's annual BP award exhibition here in London. It's not so much for the competition but more as a way to motivate myself. I used to paint a yearly self-portrait on my birthday but haven't done so for some time.
You certainly use digital paint brushes very skilfully and sensitively and your portrait is lovely. But I think that working from life rather than photos always adds another dimension, hard to explain why exactly. Maybe it's because a photo is already flat, two-dimensional, whereas when painting from life one has to grapple with the challenge and mystery of presence. I look forward to seeing your next one!

Rain Trueax said...

That's interesting, Natalie. I have done them looking in a mirror and from photos and probably each is different. I think in this case it would have been harder to get an emotion but might have been more of a likeness. I was really after the emotion, not the likeness, in this case.

I have enjoyed doing them since I saw yours but then have forgotten about it until I began to consider this topic. I'll look forward to seeing what you do.

The ones I have done with oils always end up very different than the computer. It seems like the computer has that painting with light quality that seems to have more freedom at least than my oils have. The other thing is I feel freer to experiment with the computer because of the ability to save in stages along the way.

Linda said...

Very interesting post. I enjoyed reading it.

Mary Lou said...

Hell, I cant even draw a straight line on the computer! Much less do a self-portrait!! You do very well!!!!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I just love this painting of you and the words that describe where you are and where you might be going.

Rinkly Rimes said...

The word 'wistful' comes to mind. Are you full of wist?

Anonymous said...

Sheer beauty !!

Rain Trueax said...

For anyone interested in doing computer portraits, I put most of mine onto a separate blog to see them all together and get the idea of how doing them grows the ability to do them: Rainy Day Extras