Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Webcam Portraits

If you are one of those who hates photos of yourself, a computer webcam is a tool that can teach what works for you. With webcams, you instantly see results of this angle or that, how lighting works if it shifts, what backgrounds help, how to hold your hands, and as you begin to see positive results, the camera becomes a friend, not an enemy.

Webcams have the advantage of not using a flash and that actually is a big one when it comes to portraits. Professional photographers use lights, filters and reflectors to get their photos. Webcams can offer some of the same results with a lot less set-up. Yes, you can't blow it up to an 11x14. Did you need to? A webcam with less pixels generally won't be as sharp as a snapshot-- and, at my age, that's a problem why?

Having played with cameras for photographs since I was a little girl, I have tried many different methods to get mood photos, the kind I most enjoy taking, and have to say my favorite is the webcam. If I use my laptop, I can get almost the whole body in the shot. If I want to change backgrounds, I move to the place I prefer.

One thing I have mentioned before when discussing portrait photography, I am the cameraman. I don't see these photos as me. I am the one behind their creation.

Photographs are images and illusions taken for a reason-- sometimes to use in art, sometimes to have fun, sometimes because a photo is needed, but they aren't me-- to me. No picture is anyway, but these are done for a product-- picture of woman who is sexy, kind, moody, happy, angry, or to illustrate something. The best way to describe it is they are about an idea, not just a person. When you divorce your physical self from the image, you are more capable of looking at whether it met your goals.

A lot of my personal photos in Rainy Day have been taken with my Canon Rebel. To get them with auto-timer, I set it up, click the button, move quickly to where I plan to be, hope the camera focused there, wait for the snap (assuming I got in position before it did), look at the results, see if the lighting was right, change it if it wasn't, and do it all over again until I get what I wanted. Try getting a mood right after that-- let alone any kind of interesting pose. Having someone else take it, who says oh no, not that way... doesn't do a lot more to get a mood right-- unless it was frustration.

Webcams are low pressure, let me work by myself, play with angle, expression, lighting, see what I am getting, and only then snap the picture. Surprisingly when I printed some the other day, just to see how they did in 4x6, they were almost as sharp as with the digitals. The more light on the subject, the clearer the image will be.

Of course, the other advantage of owning a webcam is in instant messenger conversations with family or friends. If you have a wireless, you can take someone through the house, show them anything you want, but most importantly make your conversation seem more real.

Some people feel webcams are not flattering and don't like using them for that reason. Most of the time, that is because of lighting. Play with it, adjust it to where it hits your face where you want. Generally speaking, more light is better as it allows for more details but you want it where it works for you, not against you.

For me, webcams have been a fun tool. Mine right now is a Creative because I am very color particular. I have tried other brands, but they had too much coolness for my computer and light situation. Looking at other people's webcams and liking their results is how I found mine. Its price was under $50 (the microphone is separate which makes it cheaper). It gives me focus and color adjustments to get as close as possible to actual color. There are fancier ones with zoom but nothing matters more to me than color and simple adjustments.

All of these photos were taken with one of my Creatives (I have one for the portable also) illustrating how mood, angle and lighting can change the message. Want to look happy, sad, thoughtful, illustrate a topic, take some fun shots, need a profile picture for an internet site, all are easy to do with computer and a low cost webcam.

And then, suppose you don't have a background that says what you want, with computer tools, you crop your photo, copy and paste it onto a different background more like where you wish you had been when you took the photo. Hey, the lighting might not be exactly the same, but it's all part of the fun of working creatively.

(The background sky was taken in Montana using the Canon Rebel.)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say it again Rain - you are a beautiful woman.

Anonymous said...

I love your discussion (and pictures of "Webcam Portaraits".
I would really appreciate it if you will tell me exactly 9the steps)of "how to" of create (save/publish)) webcam portraits......
I have a web cam: but have no idea (or instructions)of how to do what you are doing.
Love your blog....published your "Imolc" post on my blog.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.
Marion


marion

marion said...

Sorry, I evidently did fill out my "comment" correctly to include my tag.....

Ingineer66 said...

You always have the best webcam pictures.

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you all for the comments. On my process, I don't know if it will help with other webcams but mine has an icon on the desktop that I click on to bring up the screen that enables taking photos. If you don't have one on desktop, check your programs and see if there is one there that you can create a shortcut.

When I have the screen up, I click on the video camera which would enable either a snapshot or a video. It shows me the picture of me and gives me the options to change settings. I do not use the default settings as I like mine sharper, as sharp as it can get, and like to play around with gamma or exposure depending on the lighting. My photos improved a lot when my husband suggested I put a desktop light on the shelf above my desk. I thought how could that be better, the monitor gives off light, but he was right and I got more detail and better color with that light which I can change what it points to. I also set my camera to take the biggest picture possible and then cut that down. If you start out small, it seems to give less detail and despite my liking that the cams are more muted, I want a fairly realistic image.

When I have snapped the pictures, I reduce them, sometimes darken or sharpen further with my Corel program. It is also where you can take photos with the acquire feature, but I really prefer the results from the desktop icon.

If you have no icon, maybe you can reinstall the cam and see if that gives it to you. I have had to reinstall my cam a few times when it'd lose features. I do have a booklet that came with the creative but don't know where it is at the moment to know how much it tells you what to do. Once you have up its screen, experimentation pretty well is the best guide as every lighting situation will be different.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just got a WEbcam...YESTERDAY! I got it because I have a friend who hass Skype...Nw I do, too...And I can see him and NOW, he can see me, too! I am still just getting used to the idea of having it....Not sure I will use it the way you suggrst, but, who knows...!
I'm so not thrilled with how I look these days, I'm not sure I want to take pictures with a camera that appears to distort!
The pictures of YOU, by the way, are Wonderful....! You cerainly have found a great way to photograph yourself! Bravo To You!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Came back to say, I FINALLY have you on my Blogroll! I couldn't believe it's taken me this long!! Sorry about that, my dear.

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you, Old Lady. It always means a lot to me when someone puts me on their blogroll. I appreciate it.

I wonder with the webcam if you have it too close and it's doing the fish-eye, as will any camera up close. With mine that is on the laptop, I try to position the cam a bit away when I am typing on the keyboard. I have not noticed any distortion otherwise. The color is not as good on some of them which is why I favor Creative which I feel has the most lifelike color. I also have learned that lighting makes a huge difference and it takes some experimenting to get it right. I have looked into a mirror at the same time I am looking at my webcam image and they are the same here but it's very good lighting and I don't look as good if I change it to something more harsh or that hits my face wrong. Lighting is everything.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I love this and want to share this with my art interested blog visitors.

Anonymous said...

Rain, these are beautiful portraits and you're lucky to have a beautiful bone structure that makes you photogenic from any angle. You're absolutely right about lighting, but bones are everything! Not being so blessed, I really hate having my picture taken by other people but don't mind it if I'm behind the camera because I can set it up as I wish. My Mac has a built-in iSight camera but it's flash and I look hideous in it. However, with my new camcorder I can play around much better.
Natalie

Dick said...

I've never used a webcam but the laptop I bought this past summer has one built into it so maybe I will try playing with it. You have gotten some very nice results with yours.

Rain Trueax said...

When I was younger, I don't think lighting mattered so much but now it makes all the difference for how my face looks in a photo. Maybe that's true for us all.

Ingineer66 said...

Maybe we can talk to the cameraman that does Warren Beatty's movies. He uses special filters to not make him look so old.

Rain Trueax said...

You see the same thing on newscasters. Watch the older ones away from their desk and you see the lines or bags but in front of it, it's smooth and washed out-- filters and lighting.

Anonymous said...

Webcam technology is one of the very few things I have not explored. Your comments here may just be the motivation I need to give it a whirl. Thanks...

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks for the tip, I will look for that if I ever watch the network news again.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I am such a nerd with my webcam. I have only used it to see my family in Washington. I'll have to see what I do to make a screen shot. The laptop has the camera built in, but I have a moveable webcame attached to the desktop.

Charles William ( "Butchie" ) Olmstead said...

Mercy...

Anonymous said...

So qrrazyt..
Mmmm..

No matter