Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, January 21, 2008

Wolf Moon

Full moons have been given names by different cultures, but I love the one for January best of them all-- The Wolf Moon. It is not hard to create imagery to go with it-- wolves hunting in their pack as they run across a snowy landscape, in the distance a lone wolf howls and the sound brings a shiver the spine of all living creatures.

If you haven't noticed what a powerful moon this one is, you must wear a mask at night or have very heavy drapes. It woke me around 5 this morning as its light shone in my window. Living in the country, I don't do blinds; so I got the full benefit of all that light.

What most struck me was how yellowish it appeared-- rather like a wolf's eyes if I think about it. I lay there watching it but could not bring myself to find the camera, tripod and telephoto to go outside when it was in the teens.

Tonight, however, I bundled up with a heavy coat, scarf and went out. The sky was so clear and cold, the moon just starting to rise above the trees.

Beautiful as it was, it did not photograph as yellow as it appeared. Plus I could not get the two stars that shone right above it to be visible; so the last one is the photograph enhanced by me to what my eye could see but the camera lens not capture-- at least not at my skill level.

For those who give significance to full moons beyond the obvious beauty, this one is in Leo and will be totally full at 5:35 AM PST January 22. From what I have read, this moon encourages us to honor our roots and loved ones. Apply our creative energy to manifest the pack with which we desire to run. It is a powerful moon and the energy is ours to appropriate.
These photos are all more impressive if enlarged; but if you enlarge the last one, take a moment to meditate on what pack is yours. Are you with them; and if not, what do you want to do about it?

4 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Stunning moon shots. But they do not look like what I see. Maybe it is time to paint the moon.

Mary Lou said...

I had a big yellow moon peek over the alders around midnight tonight. It was sooooo COLD, but I just stood there on the deck and looked at the gorgeous sky! I knew it was a wolf moon, and even the hybrid wolves 6 doors down were howling. SO COOL!!!

Dick said...

Good photos. Most people don't realize how bright the full moon really is when you try to photograph it and they end up burning out all the detail. Your photos of the moon itself have kept the detail. Good job! You can save that and paste it into other photos in the future with Photoshop.

Ingineer66 said...

Nice photos. I took the trash out last night in between rain showers and the full moon was beautiful in an opening in the clouds. It was cold and the air was clear from the wind and rain and the moon was so bright.