Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, February 02, 2008

Imbolc

Today is one of four, seasonal Celtic festivals-- Beltane, Lammas, Samhain, and Imbolc. Typical of our culture to downgrade its meaning, most know Imbolc better as Groundhog's Day. The early Christian church renamed it Candelmas (representing 40 days after Jesus's birth, the purification of Mary, and the presentation of Christ to the temple).

Imbolc is also known as the festival of waxing light-- meaning the days are growing longer. It's midway between Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. This is the season where we all look toward the branches to see if the buds are starting to swell-- or we would if it wasn't snowing or freezing rain outside.

Some call this day Brigid's Day for the ancient Celtic goddess of water and fire. "She [Brigid] presided over smithcraft, poetry and healing-- all forms of sacred fire, inspiration. Her holy flame at Kildare was tended by nineteen vestals. Later, when the worship of the Goddess was disguised as the worship of the Saint, her priestesses were replaced by nuns." by Starhawk 2007 and in We'Moon '08.

Basically it is a day for us to think about justice, about what we want the growing light to bring to our world. One way to celebrate it is with water and fire. If I was a wiccan, which I am not, I might gather together with others who had a desire to see justice and healing grow throughout the world, and we would bring our water, light the fire and say words that had meaning to us.

My heritage is French Celtic, something I discovered in the family ancestry many years after I felt it in my heart. I have long been drawn to Celtic music and simple rituals, using natural elements, which add symbolic meaning to my own intentions both for my personal life and for what I hope to see manifested in the world.

Many of the so-called pagan ways, have more depth than what some today consider to be religious but instead seem to be empty of any meaningful symbols to help us focus on what we most need for ourselves and others.

"One by one, in tiny increments, candle by candle, gesture by effort, wish by prayer, concern by care, we feed the life-fires of the soul and light the infinite universe, little by little from within." by Donna Henes 2003 in We'Moon '08

So sometime soon, it's not so important what day (Imbolc can officially be between January 31st to February 3rd), gather the water of life and light the fire of intention for change in the coming year-- meaningful change that makes our own life and that of others on this earth better-- even though it might be bit by bit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some Celtic blood too Rain . :-)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

My maternal side of the family has some celtic also. Beautiful spiritual picture you have painted in words and image.

marion said...

Rain........
That is the MOST beautiful tribute to Imbolic that I have ever read.
And your picture is amazing. It took my breath away. I follow the Priestess Path; and we, of course, ritualize all the the Rythms...of the moon, of the earth....or life.
Thank you for catching the spiritual depth of the Imbolic ritural. Namaste

Joy Des Jardins said...

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are French Celtic Rain...spiritual, natural. I love this picture of you....just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful but powerful thoughts. Imbolc is not a term I knew before. Thanks for the continuing education.

robin andrea said...

I'm so grateful that you reminded of the word imbolc. I remember thinking about it last year, that there should be a word to describe the day that falls between winter solstice and spring equinox. It's a transition that I love, when the light of day begins to grow perceptibly longer. Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Seems when I was a Catholic Feb. 2 was the day we had to go to church to get our throats blessed. The priest would hold two candles to each side of our throat. Never really understood quite what that was for....except maybe no sore throats for the entire year?
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Anonymous said...

I never heard of this before and I think it's grand. I just went to a HeART of the Winter art show in the country and I was so excited to see green stuff coming up in the woods! Thanks for writing about this. I would love to have this Celtic background. The Italians, we're too grounded in religious superstition to celebrate anything vaguely pagan!

Unknown said...

The feast day of St. Blaise was when throats were blessed, I believe. I'll have to Google him to see when. Lovely pictures.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Now that you've given me the range of time for the Imbolc rituals, I will do this, too. I'll let you know how it all went.