Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why not billary?

As a sometimes out-spoken woman, who believes strongly in the ability of women to do anything to which they set their minds, why not Hillary? Why not a woman president? I am all for one but not this one. If you are a strong fan of Hillary's and not open to changing your mind, you might want to quit reading right now and come visit me again another day as what I am going to say is not going to please you. My reasons for disliking Hillary's candidacy are about her character not her policy positions (and with them who knows if she'd do what she says anyway).

When I have written about the political candidates, I have skimmed over Hillary Clinton and not gone into why I don't want to the Clinton machine back in the White House-- and make no mistake, it would be the package if she wins the presidency. If there had been any doubt about that, the last couple of months put it to rest. So you can't discuss Hillary without Bill (hence the nickname some have come up with-- billary). Sorry feminists, but she is not running as an independent woman who got here on her own two feet. She rode here on the coattails of a man. So when you get two-for-one again, what exactly are you getting?

Might as well start with a link I just read by Christopher Hitchens. I know he's not popular with many liberals or conservatives, but the man speaks his mind and this particular piece is specifics of how the Clintons have played The Race Card-- and not just in South Carolina. Bill our first black president huh? Maybe for those who really don't want a black man in the position, but what about him is supposed to be like a black man? Wasn't that all about stereotypes-- and not flattering ones either. The black men I know are just like anybody else. Throw out those stereotypes along with those who use them. They aren't serving us well.

For some, the Clinton package deal is a bargain. For me it's a lot of questions about who has been helping Bill Clinton amass his fortune the last few years. Based on whitewater and a lot of other shady, if not illegal, deals in the Clinton past, we know they are not averse to taking money from questionable sources. For whom has Bill been working, who's been paying those big speaker fees, what corporations have given him seats on their boards because of maybe exactly what could be happening now-- the Clintons back in the White House? The big donors to his presidential library, who have they been? Why doesn't he want their names released? Is it because they are also donating to Hillary's campaign and knowing who they were wouldn't look good? Is this run by Hillary exactly why President Clinton gave that pardon to Marc Rich?

I don't care about who Bill Clinton is having sex or trying to have sex with-- unless it's sexual harassment, but would it be a factor in the presidency of Hillary Clinton? Will it be one sleazy scandal after another as it was last time they were in power? Will that distract her as president or is what he does with other women not a concern of hers?

She said in a recent interview that she can control Bill. Can she in this area also or do they have an arrangement? It's nobody's business but theirs unless it impacts the job; and if she cared, it just might. Voters do assess the marriages of presidents-- male also-- as they question whether it will be a factor in the mental strength needed for the job.

When we get past the Bill factor, does Hillary herself have the temperament to be a president? For me it's questions about her own activities in the past, her secretiveness and sometimes what seems like a-- them-against-us mentality. It's about things like travelgate, and let's not forget the dossiers that went to the White House on various government officials with no reason ever given for why-- unless it was to find things that could be used to apply pressure on individuals when the need arose. Or the Rose Law Office files that mysteriously showed up on a White House table after being missing so long and no clue why they were ever there. How about Sandy Berger getting into the government archives and accidentally taking some that showed what happened during the Clinton years regarding a sensitive issue?

The Clintons like to rewrite history and some people are so eager to get payback for the Bush years that they want to ignore the negatives that Hillary will bring with her. She is supposed to be the most experienced candidate except what has she gotten that wasn't based on to whom she was married and maybe even a sympathy vote? She talks about her vast experience and how Obama has so little. He's been in elected offices longer than she, and he earned them himself. She may have been a workmanlike senator but has she shown leadership anywhere? What has she actually done except put up with Bill Clinton's infidelities?

After the way Bush has taken powers for the presidency, made secrecy a patriotic virtue, why would we think a person like Hillary would give that up? She already operates that way. She won't sign anything promising to restore the Constitution if she is President (neither has Obama as of yet but as a Constitutional law professor, those odds are better than with Hillary Clinton). It would take a LOT of trust to believe she will give up the powers that Bush has amassed. She'll get in and find she has to keep them for the good of the country. To me, in terms of personality, she is a female Cheney.

Because of Hillary's character, she is someone I am not sure I could vote for even if she is the Democratic candidate and that is very depressing to me. I have always voted. I can't imagine voting for any Republican given the Supreme Court picks, the way these guys all seem gung ho for more wars, have no fiscal responsibility, seemed determined to continue down the Bush trail, but at the same time, how could I vote for Hillary Clinton? If I had any doubts about whether she might have changed, the way she has run this campaign has answered them.

Some say Barack Obama doesn't have enough experience. Well, that's better than the wrong kind!

I posted the photo on top for two reasons. It is of the creek here on the farm and a reflection of a reflection. That morning we had had a snowfall. The sunrise to the east was reflected onto the western sky and it was its reflection that you see in the creek. What we see isn't always what is there, nor is it always clear from where light is coming. Many times reflections of reflections are all we get-- many not nearly so beautiful as this one.

I also wanted something as a reminder that life is beautiful and that keeping our eye on the ball means doing what we can to make a positive difference in the world, being informed, voting wisely, supporting just causes, but then releasing it all. As an imagery, close your fist tight over them, as tight as you can, slowly open your fingers releasing the results to the universe; then look at the beauty that is all around. If it's not outside your door, visit a park, watch the birds, notice the sky, get grounded in nature which is the best healer I know.

If any Hillary fans made it this far, feel free to post comments with your own opinions on why she would make a good president. Unless you bring up an issue that I didn't cover or where I hadn't made my own position clear enough, I won't put down what you believe. I took some time to make up my mind about Hillary Clinton, pulling together what I remembered, watching how she conducted this campaign, but it's my personal viewpoint. I know good people can see things differently.

11 comments:

Harold/AQ said...

Yeah, I think you got it pretty close to right.

robin andrea said...

Yes, I agree with most of what you say. Still, if she is the nominee in November, I'll vote for her. I can't bear the thought of another Republican president appointing Supreme Court justices. At least Hillary (billary) would make good choices there.

Ingineer66 said...

Excellent Post. You nailed her to a "T". I can only hope for a Romney/Obama final. I think either one of them could lead to a new era and heal some of the old wounds. But it is looking more like McCain and Hillary. Hillary would not only not be a healing president she would rip open the wounds and pour salt on them.

Governor Arnold endorsed McCain today. I was hoping he would follow the Kennedy family and pick Obama. That would make for some good political theater.

Mary Lou said...

WHOO-HOO!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! You voiced what I could not. I will NOT vote for her. Right at this point I am torn between Obama/Edwards (one can HOPE) or McCain!!!But if neither of them get the nomination then I may have to throw my vote away and vote for an independent or a GREEN party candidate. (Shudder)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Very convincing post. Three cheers for Rain, I hope you have many, many more readers.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo! Did you take it?

Anonymous said...

Rain, this is the best analysis of Hillary/Billary I have ever read.You nailed her and I agree with everything here. The real rub will come if she wins the primary and becomes the Dem candidate. Then I would once again be choosing between the lesser of 2 evils.

Nice analogy and metaphor in the picture of a reflection of a reflection...

Rain Trueax said...

thank you on the photograph and yes, I took it earlier this week when we had a snowfall.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous photo, as is the one from the day before. Joyce

Anonymous said...

I haven't been a Hillary fan for quite awhile.
HOWever.....should she be the Democratic candidate, absolutely I'll vote for her! NO WAY can I put up with another 4 years of the Republican ways!
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Anonymous said...

I do thank you for this post, because it led me to think my position through more carefully -- opposed to you, but opinions are what they are. I feel more than ever that Hillary is my candidate, though I will back Obama, if he's chosen. Yes, two-for-one is a bargain, in my eyes, because Bill is as brilliant as Hillary. Not necessarily more brilliant than Obama, but I'll take two brilliants over one. I think a Clinton/Obama ticket would be ideal, but I'll live with whatever the convention decides. I definitely think you underestimate her brains and political astuteness (therefore her silence and "privacy" in the past). I love your thoughtfulness. I happen to disagree with your premises and conclusions on this issue, but you embody what every voter should be -- careful and analytical.