Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 18, 2016

when it finds the wrong readers

Last Saturday I wrote about when a book does not find readers. It's one of the things about writing and putting it out-- there is an emotional side, for which a writer needs to be prepared. Besides not finding readers, sometimes the book finds the wrong ones. 

When you write just for yourself, nobody finds fault with what you did because nobody saw it. Putting out into the world, your books or poetry or paintings or whatever your creative endeavor might be has a potential cost to it, and I don't mean just the dollars it takes to get it out.


An example is last week when I saw that one of my books, Arizona Dawn, had gotten a new review. I am not one of those writers who gets a ton of reviews; so this was of interest. There are some writers who say they have given up reading their reviews because it can be painful. I read mine even though they can be upsetting-- as did this new one star review (her caption said: I disposed of this book).
"This story is about unrequited love between a rich young white woman and a Yaqui Indian man who is 12 years her senior. He doesn't want her for all the typical reasons. I would have kept reading but was turned off by the spiritism, necromancy,.. Not a Christian read."
Well, the first thing this led me to do was look up necromancy. I had a vague idea it related to dead bodies but wasn't quite sure.
Merriam Webster said: necromancy is the practice of talking to the spirits of dead people-- the use of magic powers especially for evil purposes
Okay, so I kind of think that this reviewer didn't quite understand the word either. The scene she must be referring to isn't remotely what she claimed in the review. There is also nothing I can do to straighten her out. There is no arguing with a review, although a few writers try. 

In this case, it would have been tempting just because she didn't understand what she was talking about. She took spirituality at a grade one level and stopped right there. Her last sentence said it all. It's not a Christian read. From the blurb, she should have never thought it was, but something had drawn her to it-- and then she ran into Connie ;).

If the reviewer had understood more about what spiritism is or certainly necromancy, she'd not have seen it as what Connie practices. I've known a few people into spiritism, and it's very different than the scene where Connie, with some friends, about to go on a quest, sought wisdom for their venture. 

Connie is a secondary character in several of my books. She is a psychic and does use Tarot cards, reads tea leaves upon occasion and can palm read. She does ask for wisdom from spirit guides, has been accused of being a witch, but denies it. She's been driven out of towns by those like that reviewer of mine.

After that review, I thought, should I add in the blurb that my books are not Christian. They do not have a come to Jesus moment nor prayer that fixes everything. They do though sometimes have Christian characters-- but more like regular folks, you know, good and bad ones. I do consider all of my books to have spiritual values but not the sort that come from any religion.

Wednesday, I'll post the scene which, I believe, so offended her. If this sort of subject makes you uncomfortable, I hope you'll return next Saturday when there will be something different-- not sure what.

No comments: