Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, June 08, 2016

the pioneer village


Collier State Park in Oregon has a museum across the highway from the campground and day-use areas. The logging museum is outdoors with historical logging gear of all sorts plus explanations. 



What fascinated me the most though was its pioneer village. What they have done is bring log cabins from many places, with bits about their history and set them up along the Williamson River. It does look like an early village in Oregon might have except, of course, these are mostly homestead cabins, built in isolated areas to prove up claims.



Not only is it beneficial to me to have such to photograph for backgrounds for  covers or in trailers; but it gave me yet another idea for how they could be incorporated in a plot either for an historical or one of the paranormals.




This is a free park and for Father's Day, they said they will have the logging equipment running. Very cool. The park is right off Highway 97 which travels from border to border in Oregon. For those who are not familiar with Oregon, the Cascades divide the state but more like 1/3 or even 1/4 on the west side and the rest with a variety of ecological zones. Well, even the west side changes from north to south with the wetter Willamette Valley being mostly fir and cedar and farther south more pine.

6 comments:

Tabor said...

I do like visiting historic sites. I was not so interested when I was younger, but now I have perspective!

Rain Trueax said...

The interesting part for me was the stories of the cabins. They would have been up in the mountains and some a single man, some a family and were brought here and reconstructed. So it's a bit of the history of Eastern Oregon in each of these names.

Celia said...

Thanks for posting this. I've been up and down 97 many times and somehow missed this. Loved seeing these kinds of places.

Rain Trueax said...

Celia, for years, we did the same thing. We were always on our way somewhere but this time we were staying right across from it.

joared said...

These sites are interesting. I recall visiting log cabin(s)years ago in Colorado. Reminded me my uncle have proven up on a claim in the last run, or whatever they called it in that state, so many years ago. Seems every trip we ever took we passed by places I thought looked interesting and hoped to return to visit ... sometime ... but rarely, if ever, did so.

Rain Trueax said...

I do that a lot, Joared, think I'll return somewhere but then don't. Time goes by too fast.