Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, December 17, 2011

Reading the cards

No, it's not Christmas cards I'm talking about...

One of those times when I was surfing through some of the blogs I read, I came across an interesting one in "Beyond the Fields We Know" as she wrote about a new Tarot deck.  I clicked on the link, went to the creator's site, and from there straight to Amazon as I really liked this deck.

When it arrived, I was quite pleased with the earthy designs for the cards as well as the book, "Journey through the Gaian Tarot" by Joanna Powell Colbert. I have several decks and when I have done readings, I have often chosen the most common Rider-Waite as I understand the meanings of the cards best there.

When I got the new deck, it had been months since I'd done any readings. I have liked knowing I could when the mood strikes or when I felt stuck. I don't see Tarot as supernatural or occult. I see it as helping a person get into their own intuition which can sometimes be blocked for assorted reasons. It also is satisfying to do a reading. Dare I say fun?

The Gaian Tarot is mostly aimed at connecting with earth, our intuitive side, rather than divinatory.  I especially like how easy this deck is to shuffle as often a new deck takes some breaking in, but it has not. It was ready to work from the get go.

I might actually try a card or reading from it for inspiration occasionally on the new book I am writing. Like where should I go next in terms of a character. I won't use it to determine what will end up happening with this story as I know the general outline. I could use it though in small events and to add some variety of thinking, getting myself out of my own rut and into the way my characters might think. Right now I am just enjoying its beauty.



9 comments:

Tabor said...

I remember reading Kerredelune's blog on these cards. Interesting, although I do not know if I could get into it.

Rubye Jack said...

Interesting. I don't know why but for some reason like the other more traditional cards better. Maybe these are too realistic for me?
Yeah, I think it is fun to do a reading every so often.

Rain Trueax said...

She also has a different take on the cards to update their meaning especially the court cards which is interesting and adds a dimension to the readings for me anyway. I did a sample reading which I will post next blog which kind of illustrates the difference, I think. I won't be giving up my traditional cards. I have another unusual one which I love the beauty of but I don't use it as often either. I wrote about it a few years ago when I bought it.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

These cards are very Beautiful evem though they look so very different from the vards I have been use to seeing...I look forward to your "reading", Rain.

Kay Dennison said...

I love the variety of art one finds on Tarot cards and this one is lovely. I use a variation on Rider-Waite.

la peregrina said...

Kay is right, this is a lovely deck. Osco zen tarot cards are my favorite right now. I always get interesting readings with that deck.

Anonymous said...

Do Tarot cards have any validity ??

Rain Trueax said...

They have often seemed to work for me, anonymous but the why of that, I can't say. The times they don't (and there are such times), I know before I start that I don't have the feel for them. The other thing is you cannot go asking over and over the same thing until you get the answer you want. I believe the first time you deal them out, when you feel it, that's the one to mull over. In the book with this new deck of cards, there are several layouts I have never tried. When I have time to let myself go with it, I'll try them.

As I said, I will put up a reading of mine, the first one with this new deck with my take on it next blog.

Anonymous said...

OMG, do you see whats taking place in Syria? Regardless of a brutal government crackdown, the manifestations continue