Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Rune reading applied

The great holy man, Black Elk, said, "I cured with the power that came through me. Of course, it was not I who cured. It was the power from the outer world, and the visions and ceremonies had only made me like a hole through which the power could come to the two-leggeds. If I thought I was doing it myself, the hole would close up and no power could come through. Then everything I could do would be foolish."
from 'Fools Crow Wisdom and Power' by Thomas Mails
When I wrote about my rune reading in [Keeping My Eye on the Ball], I hadn't expected I'd be writing on it again. Something happened to change my mind. I see it as a third piece falling into place.

As I wrote a few days ago, I had a commenter, new to my blog, leave behind an encouragement to not give up on my dream. That was very nice, but at first didn't seem to be more than that.

Then there was the offering of a free rune reading. I didn't think I had a reason I needed to have one, but when I am offered something, I do stop to think should I open that door? Although the rune reading came from a friend, Cynthia, she is not someone I had talked to in awhile; so I am not sure what inspired her to offer it to her whole email list.

It was not until I lay in bed one morning, puzzling over a personal problem, which had just arisen again, that I put those first two together. I won't go into what my problem involved because that is not the important part. It had, however, been a hindrance in achieving my dream. Then I realized the rune reading was a tool to use in the problem and for that matter in any future decision making.

Does it seem obvious to you that when we have to decide what to do our JOY (first rune stone) should be taken into consideration? So often there are things I feel I just have to do. I don't stop to think-- will that bring me joy. Often, duty can bring joy, but what if it doesn't? Is duty with no resultant joy a good thing? Is joy something we can make happen when we take it into account?

The challenge from the runes was to look at how the problem being resolved, or any decision I might make, would contribute to my overall feeling of empowerment, self-reliance, of WHOLENESS (second stone)? If what I am thinking of doing or being asked to do isn't going to do that, why am I doing it?

To decide what makes me whole requires knowing my SELF (third stone) and that consideration is not always so easy, as I, and maybe many of us, do things for others and forget what it was we needed for our own self. Asking who we are is probably beneficial every so often. It does change with age, with experiences. You'd think by nearly 66 that I'd have worked that out permanently, but I have not.

Finally comes the last stone and the one related to the overall-- STRENGTH. I can see how wisely resolving my problem would make me feel more joy, wholeness, sense of self, but strength? Well I guess when we make wise choices, we do grow stronger. Or is it that my ability to resolve this thing will come through seeking strength? I am not sure.

The strength stone is the only one that I really have to question exactly how it applies. Cynthia, who knows me, had suggested that my strength could come through my creativity. Perhaps it's in using creativity that I will find the strength to deal with the returned problem and attain my dream?

At any rate, I felt that this coming to me, all three things in August, all seemingly unconnected and from different sources, suddenly all relating, were something more-- indicators that I am not really in this alone-- serendipity, coincidence, synchronicity, call it what you will-- I received help from outside myself.

At one time I'd have said the help was coming from god. Now I don't know what brought it together, but I appreciate its happening as it did: The encouragement from a stranger to not give up on my dream, a friend giving me the tools to use where it came to a choice I didn't even know I would have to make at that time, all led to dealing with something which has been standing in my way. Incidentally, that doesn't mean the problem represents a bad thing (if it had, it'd have been easier to deal with), but just one that wasn't moving me toward what I have said I want. Those things came to me opportunely at the least.

One of my favorite quotes is the one above from the book Fools Crow, a book I bought many years ago and remembered especially that quote. I have often sought to be that hollow bone but sometimes have not been sure what is flowing through me. Am I being used or kidding myself? Was the help I just received from other hollow bones where energy flowed to me from the great mystery?

(Photos are from the Portland Zoo where I was last week with my four grandchildren, Farm Boss, and our daughter-in-law. Very very fun day with many families, literally all ages, enjoying the same thing! It definitely qualified as an activity to satisfy all four rune stones.)

3 comments:

TorAa said...

Hi Rain,
I'm back again. From Vacation and in between long working Days.
When you write aboute Rune's, I imagine in my mind the letters written by the Vikings and the folks that lived in Scandinavia before that.
But you have given me another intepretation. That's interesting and great.

By the way, does George Sand means something to you?

We did visit this extrodinary womans home a month ago.
http://toraa.blogspot.com/2009/08/visit-to-home-of-george-sand-nohant.html

best wishes from
Norway

Rain Trueax said...

Hi TorAa, I do read your blog and saw you visited her home. I love visiting the homes of creative people. It is sad to realize that back then women, to be able to express full creativity, had to often be anonymous (as Jane Austen had to be) or take on a man's name. We have improved some, have we not? I hope.

The rune is the ancient alphabet as you thought but just used for divination just as playing cards became Tarot.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Gosh, I haven't thrown the runes for so very long--10 years at least. I remember well your dream post in January so I'm glad your friend Cynthia and your new reader have encouraged you to continue dreaming.