Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, September 06, 2009

What are you reading?

This meme, in slightly differing formats, goes around every so often and is always interesting. The challenge is to find the book closest to you right now, where you are typing this, and open it to page 161, find the fifth sentence, and (as I understand it) put it in your blog. Then, if you wish, pass it onto five others, notifying them in their blogs through comments, to do the same. I received it from Peggy at Musings of Meggie.

The sentence for me is from Paulo Coelho's book Brida. It is a story of a young woman's search for magic and soul mate love. The sentence is: "She was sure that she would make very bad company." I actually had reviewed the book in May which is maybe why it's still on my desk shelf--Brida.

Sometimes when I get something like this, I do it but don't pass it onto anybody else. This will be an exception because I think it's interesting to know what others are reading and it's a way to advertise other blogs.

So the request (which feel free to ignore) goes out to:

Parapluie at Umbrella Painting Journal

Paul at Shadow of Diogenes

Fran at Sacred Ordinary

Ugich at gappa

Darlene at Darlene's Hodgepodge

and anyone else who would be willing to play the game.

7 comments:

Paul said...

I am reading "The Queen Bishop's Attack Revealed" by Chess Grand Master James Plaskett...I am an aficionado of the game and have played it for fourty years...

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Paul,
Is Queen Bishop's attack checkmate in four moves? I stumbled on this aggresive play by accident when playing a chess club guy while waiting for our late high school history/baseball coach teacher to return to class. The chess club gathered around and attributed the game to some master and I went along pretending I was a well read chess fan. It is about time I read the chess literature. And a second idea I have is to make my clay vases of precious values all chess men and queen. Then give the spaces on the checker board names for health care facilities. One side would be the consumers and the other the insurance and pharmaceuticals.

Darlene said...

I am reading a P. D. James mystery right now, but it is on my nightstand. The book closest to me happens to be one by Jane Austin and I will play the game. Look for it on my blog.

Paul said...

No Parapluie it is a chess opening...Checkmate in four moves is great play !

Dixon Webb said...

Good Morning Rain . . . Sounds interesting. I'm curious to see if you get much of a response. I am currently reading "Red Earth White Earth" by Will Weaver.Page 161 Sentence 5:

"Please look through one of these", the Indian said, handing them a flier. His braids swung as he spoke. "And have a nice day."

The story involves rural Minnesota and the struggles of the Indians living there.

Good book.

Dixon

Rain Trueax said...

I think I read that book, Dixon. If I did, it's in Tucson, not here but it was a good one. Thank you for participating. I appreciate it. It's always interesting to see what people are reading.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I will do this meme in the next few days, Rain, and thanks for the plug about Sacred Ordinary.