Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, August 30, 2009

The creek in late summer


Although I call where I live a farm, in reality, it is a small ranch as it only raises livestock. Living on ranches has its ups and downs. You see life and death much closer than most. The work never takes a vacation and some of it is for no monetary reward. I like the life or wouldn't have lived this way most of my life. Pretty much my only years off a farm were spent trying to get back to one even though I know well that it has joy and heartbreak wrapped up together.


The creek, which winds along one border to our property, is, on the other hand, a constant delight. Oh it has some problems when it floods and it definitely is hard on fences, but I appreciate everything about it. It is a blessing to live on a creek.

There is that coolness which makes air conditioning generally not needed at night. I like wading in it, checking on its creatures through the signs they leave behind, like beaver gnawed trees, raccoon paw prints, checking the mussel and crawdad populations. Ours has been fished but mostly has only guppy-sized fish. The flow in it is constant year round but it's not very deep. It provides the irrigation water for our pastures.


Last week-end we waded it, planning a route to take us from one of our gates to another. the creek had other ideas. It turned out there was a big log jam blocking our passage. It was washed there in the last floods and will likely be moved downstream in the next ones.


To inspect the whole creek, we had to wade up, back down, then go to the upper gate, enter and wade both ways. Our survey took twice as long as usual.


Part of our motivation of doing a thorough inspection was to be sure the calf we lost this year hadn't drowned. If it had, the bones would have been in that log jam or along the bank. They weren't. Whatever got that calf took it clear off the place. Whether the predator was human or animal, we likely will never know for sure.


I am along the creek pretty often but only wade its length along our property a few times during the summer. I knew when we bought it that living on a creek would be a gift and it has been over and over.

15 comments:

Ugich Konitari said...

You are so lucky to be able to live in such close contact with all the elements. Enjoyed reading this post very much and the pictures.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks Ugich. I do always appreciate it.

For anybody who still thinks nothing needs to be done about our medical system today, be sure you don't miss Kristof's piece in the NY Times for how it currently works out for some families: Until Medical Bills Do Us Part.

Dick said...

It looks like you have a good creek, one that still has water in it at this time of a dry year should be good all the time. Good photos, as usual.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This reminds me I do want to come and paint your creek again.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I read Nicholas Kristof's article "Until Medical Bills So us Part" and I will say it is true. I have a friend whose husband is dying of dementia. Although she hires help and has all the equipment to lift him to and from his bed, she faces bankruptcy. All the other residents in a nursing home with dementia except my mother were on medicaid.

Darlene said...

The place where I grew up was bisected by a small creek and I know the joy of living near one. It is a special place for a child to learn about tadpoles and frogs.

Ours was smaller than yours appears to be and never flooded.

Ingineer66 said...

Cool photos. It looks like a lot of fun.

Ingineer66 said...

Parapluie, what color are you going to paint it. Don't you like the color it is.

Dixon Webb said...

Hi Rain ... Beautiful creek. Your pictures are as good as your prose. When might you settle down and collect these little essays in a book?

Dixon

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, the Creek is really WONDERFUL! And the way you write about it and the pictures--Well, I just wish I could walk it with you...! I can see how being there in it could take all the cares and worries of the world far far away---even on a temporary basis----which would be a great relief and very re-newing to one....Wonderful pictures, Rain, and the Creek sounds intoxicating in the best way.....!

Thanks for your concern. I am laying very low and NOT going out at all...PLUS, all the Registers in my home are covered so that no smoke can get in, mostly....It makes quite a difference. These fires are HOORENDOUS and Scary, too....! I pray they get them under control.

joared said...

I've always enjoyed exploring creeks and their non-human inhabitants -- sitting quietly, or in a rowboat (no motors.) Fresh and ocean waters of various types give me respite, comfort and are the source of visualization images for me. Always said if I ever lived out in the country again, I wanted a creek on my property. I once fantasized I'd create a small waterfall with man-made small stream with miniature pond in a secluded corner of a back yard in my city home. Might have been a possibility if we'd lived only in one place.

TorAa said...

Living so close to Nature is a gift.
For people that do respect Nature as is. For those neglecting the beauty and importance of Nature, it's a pain.
It's really a conflict, more serious that most people are aware.

---
You know, we both could have books about this.

---

Here in Norway we had 2 weeks of Summer, then Rain, Showers, glimpes of Sun and repeat. Very disturbing. And depressing. But we are used to it.

hugs
T and A in Norway

robin andrea said...

Your creek is beautiful. It is so important to live near water. An essential aspect of life.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Out of curiosity, does your creek have bullfrogs at night? I love that about some creeks. On the down side, does it attract mosquitos?

I'm glad that you didn't find the bones of the calf and can only hope that it wasn't stolen but caught by something in the food chain. Your photos are beautiful, as always.

Rain Trueax said...

We rarely have mosquitoes because the water is running. I hear frogs and crickets quite often. Mostly I see the small green frogs, not the big ones.