Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, August 02, 2009

Canoeing the Wood River

My second surprise on this vacation came while canoeing the Wood River. It is a gorgeous stretch of water, in the Klamath Basin, not very deep but with enough current to be different than anything we had canoed to date. It runs through ranch land and forests, is full of interesting things to see, nice places to pull a canoe out and have a lunch. It starts at a spring that forms a full river, not unusual in the volcanic Cascades.

Our daughter and her family had canoed this stretch (about 5 miles) several times before and talked of how beautiful it was. We knew it was too long for the smallest grandkids but our son's family had to leave a day earlier which left us a day to give it a try.I am not an adventurous person, nor am I one who likes to have thrills; so I had some reservations about the current they said was in the river. It also is a river of many oxbows where you nearly turn back onto yourself along with that current. They told me I'd have to keep my camera in a waterproof bag most of the time, only taking photos when stopping. That was definitely a drawback.

Being a canoe novice, I was nervous but willing to give it a try. There were some new tricks to learn with the paddle, ways to help the canoe make the turns, avoid downed trees, and avoid killing each other (that is Farm Boss and me). There is something about canoeing that can lead to spats as theoretically the back paddler tells the front paddler what to do. Strongest paddler is in the back. This can lead to disagreements especially if the canoe appears to be heading straight for a snag.
The stretch we canoed took about 5 hours, allowing for several stops and a nice lunch break (our daughter knows how to fix a picnic gourmet lunch). Although the river was constantly in current, it was a lot of work because the current doesn't take the canoe automatically where you want it to go. There is also one easy portage over an earthen dam.

We got a lot of good instruction, but there is no real way for anybody to tell someone else what to do in all situations in a river like the Wood. The currents and curves change with downed branches and trees. What worked one time might not another. You can be told the tools, learn how to use them, watch what the other canoe did, but each situation will vary. It will also vary from canoe to canoe.

Almost at the end of it, I got the surprise when we did something wrong (which we kind of think we know but still aren't totally sure exactly what). I felt the canoe starting to go over and knew there'd be no saving it. Being dumped into the river had not been on my agenda although I knew it was possible.

When a canoe tips in current, it reminds me of the sensation of being thrown from a horse (which has also happened to me). Basically, you are physically projected out and have to hope for the best. Even under water and looking up, I knew I was at no physical risk (we had passed the brush hanging into the stream, the stream was relatively shallow, and I was wearing my life jacket not to mention am a very strong swimmer), but still it's a strange feeling. Our son-in-law beached their canoe and came back to help us right the canoe and get everything back together.

It's one of those things that becomes more pleasant to think about after the fact than during it. My biggest concern had been my precious camera; but when we had started hitting more current, I had secured its bag to the canoe and it stayed dry.
I must admit that at nearly 66, I kind of like the idea of having been canoeing on a river, in some current, and being thrown from the canoe. A lot better at my age than sitting somewhere watching television or playing solitaire, not that I don't also do those things. However, I think I prefer the lakes where the only thing I have to worry about rocking the canoe is wind and a person at the back who keeps shifting position because of being uncomfortable.All photos are from along the upper Wood River. Yes, I have one of me looking like a drowned rat. No, I am not sharing it here!

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I would have been a basket case if I had been in the canoe when it tipped over. I have a fear of drowning and just the thought of capsizing sends shivers up my spine. You handled it well.

Your photos are, as always, stunning. Glad that you and Farm Boss survived the canoe trip, marriage intact. ;-).

P. S. Rain, I watched the movie, "SONGCATCHER' that you recommended and agree that it's a great movie. Thanks for the good advice.

Dick said...

Aw, come on and share that drowned rat photo. Years ago when we lived on Vashon Island I took our 70 pound dog sailing in an 8 foot long sailing dingy. She decided she wanted out and jumped, tipping the boat over. This was in Puget Sound which is fairly cold water and it was on George Washington's birthday, Feb. 22nd. Not the best time of the year for a fully clothed swim in Puget Sound! There are no photos of that.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Wow. What an adventure, Rain. The photos are beautiful and I applaud your chutzpah in doing this. I river rafted only once, up on the Kern, and I was thrown out, but the outdoor ed instructors were there to fish me out. The white water really scared me and I never went again. Sure looks like fun though.

Rain Trueax said...

I wouldn't think of canoeing in white water but our son-in-law does. It takes a lot more knowledge and strength than I have or will have. And I really am not a thrill chaser although I love beautiful places and that was the appeal that drew me most in this experience as it often does. Current like this one had was the most I'd try. I have thought though of taking white water rafting trips like you describe and know they can be dangerous if someone doesn't go with an experienced guide. There are way too many doing it who don't know what they are doing; and if you fall out, like you did, you want someone there who does know.

After this trip we bought one of the throwing ropes that they have for the possibility of being thrown out of a boat. In a lake it isn't apt to be needed but it basically is in a small sack with coiled up plastic rope which you toss to someone in the water, and the rope goes out as it is thrown.

robin andrea said...

Such an interesting description of tipping over in a canoe, comparing it to be thrown from a horse. I like that. I've been thrown from a horse, but have never tipped over in a canoe. That's a great comparison.