Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, August 03, 2009

Klamath Basin


Klamath Lake was naturally a marsh area with some lake but became bigger in order to allow irrigation on farm and ranch land. This has led to turf wars when southern Oregon goes through droughts. The question of droughts must always be-- which amount of yearly precipitation is normal?
There is still controversy over which is most important, family farms and ranches, recreation, or salmon fisheries. Several years ago that led to heated exchanges and a few midnight releases of water. The problem is when you fool with Mother Nature, you often have no clue where it's going to end up; but man just can't quit improving on things... sort of.


These photos are all of the area above Klamath Lake and Fort Klamath. This is still big cattle country. It is about 33 miles south of Crater Lake.

I know it's amazing to me also that I live with cattle all year but that when I go on vacation, I just have to stop every chance I get for photographs of other people's cattle. Maybe there is something wrong here or maybe I just like the world in which I live.

1 comment:

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Great photos and interesting post. I didn't know all this about the Klamath Basin.