Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 28, 2009

Jane Austen as an antidote to today's craziness?

Sometimes things come along into my life and absolutely I can't figure out how it started, but with our recent Jane Austen film festival, I know exactly where it began with a DVD called The Jane Austen Bookclub.

The movie had a good cast and followed five women and one man as they met each month to discuss one of Jane Austen's six books. Through their problems and personalities they each illustrated one of the characters in each of the books.

To be honest I wasn't really a Jane Austen fan until I saw that film. Then I got curious. How much really was in those books? I had seen Pride and Prejudice when it was Sir Lawrence Olivier and Greer Garson but it didn't really impress me all that much. I was far more taken with Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights or Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre. Somehow Mr. Darcy didn't catch my interest until now.

When I began I really hadn't intended to watch that much Jane Austen. I had the A&E version in 1995 starring Colin Firth and from it an addiction grew.

The 1995 version was so compelling that we watched that all in one Sunday. Our plan was to break it up but neither of us wanted to do that once we started. Two 150 minute DVDs of Pride and Prejudice might seem a lot but not with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Frankly he has to be the standard by which any other Mr. Darcy will forever be compared. That scene where he strides up to Pemberley after swimming full clothed in his lake, oh my. The film was just too good to quit part way.

The BBC version was also quite good but not as mesmerizing as the 1995 one. It was probably a week or so later that we watched it over several days. I think I liked its Elizabeth Bennett the best. It also might be the most closely tied to the book. Many of the relationships seemed to me to be more clearly defined. It was, as they all were, very colorful, beautifully photographed, lovely little grace notes.

The 2005 movie, at 129 minutes had the biggest problem with that short of a time. How do you possibly get all of it in? the answer is you cannot which is bound to displease purists. Keira Knightly was a spirited Miss Bennett but really the time worked against it being my favorite version. Besides although its Mr. Darcy was very attractive, he wasn't Colin Firth!

Does that seem like too much Jane Austen? Well it didn't to me and surprisingly Farm Boss was as into it all as I was. We then ordered from Netflix Becoming Jane (supposedly biographical about Jane Austen herself and how she got started writing); Persuasion and have yet to see Mansfield Park but it's coming in a week or so.

During this time, by happenstance on cable, I stumbled across Lost in Austen about a young woman from modern England, a huge fan of the book, being time traveled back to Pride and Prejudice with all the characters except Elizabeth who had come to modern England. It was also several episodes but cable showed them all in a day. Yes, I watched them all.

Have I had enough Jane Austen? Actually not and am now reading the books. Some I never had read. I am not sure why her stories have suddenly been so good for me. I think there might be several reasons. Of course, the plots and characters are great. I mean the love story of Elizabeth and Darcy is a mix of mistaken ideas, duty, and love.

The Austen books all serve to remind me that things can and have been worse culturally. Yes, there was a grace in the England of the early 1800s but the opportunities were far less than we have today. To me, it was a reminder throughout of how few jobs people had, how little chance, particularly for women, to do other than marry appropriately. The last thing we should want to do is revert-- although it's fun for a short period of time.

8 comments:

NJ said...

I'm new here, --came from Mary Lou's blog. I was interested in your take on Jane Austin's work. My three granddaughters have been enthralled by the movies and read the books. So it interested me to learn how much the movies and books have grabbed you. It was certainly a very different time!
Nancy

Darlene said...

Usually a book surpasses the movie, but in the case of Jane Austin I enjoy the movies more than the books.

I read all of her books years ago and probably should go back and re-read them. I did like reading them, but somehow the movies made the people more believable.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVED 'THE JANE AUSTIN BOOK CLUB"...and it sparked my wanting to read and or see, or both...many of the books and movies...
I have NOT seen the Colin Firth version...And it is going on my Netflix Queue, right now!
Loved this post Rain....I love that Farm Boss is as into this as you--like the Book Club!

mandt said...

Just for fun and light reading on rainy days you might like Stephanie Barron's "Jane Austin Mysteries."

Alan G said...

Hi Rain....Long time no see!

Happen to drop by and was immediately drawn to this post.

I was completely oblivious for the most part to Jane Austin until just a few short years ago - and that's saying something given the fact I am 67 years old. Oh I knew the name and her claim to fame but like Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle, had little concern for the likes of Mr. Dorsey or Lizzie. Pride and Prejudice could certainly be nothing more than just the pre-twentieth century stages of your typical romance trash.

Then one afternoon and I can't say why, the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice was on television and being completely bored at the time I thought, "It's time to grin and bear it and find out just what all this hoop-la is about when it comes to this silly-ass book written by what's her face!"

Well....within a couple of weeks I had watched the movie three more times and then went and bought it. What were my male counterparts to think of me? - I had fallen in love with a "Chick Flick"!

And now I, as best I can tell, own all the versions spoke of in your post. Certainly the 1995 is the most complex and complete given its length. But I guess it's like they say, "You never forget your first time." because the 2005 version is still my favorite. Popular consensus does not seem to be on my side - but I just can't help myself!

After that "awakening" I pursued the other video presentations of Miss Austin's writings and enjoyed them all immensely. I now consider myself one of her biggest fans....but please, don't tell the guys!

Alan G said...

OOPS.....

I mean't Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail"!

By the way, I have all three versions of that movie also. Yep....another "Chick-Flick"!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I love Jane Austen and read all the books and saw the films you mentioned. I'm sure glad we don't have to depend on marriage to survive--or I guess I should say I'm glad I don't. Culturally I'm sure a lot of women do still marry because they do want to raise families and at least be partially supported. (That's certainly one of the reasons I got married.)

Rain Trueax said...

Welcome to the blog, NJ. Hope you come again and Alan, hi. Glad you found me again :) I saw Mansfield Park and will be writing about it in another couple of days. I still have to see Northanger Abbey. All of them have several versions possible. I have never heard of Jane Austen mysteries but will keep my eyes open.

In our culture, we do have more options, Fran, but it seems there are still all those expectations.