Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 14, 2009

August looks like work


Since I have mentioned that late summer is a busy time on the farm, I thought I'd take a few photos showing why. One project is pretty much the usual for every summer-- moving irrigation pipe.

Because of having an irrigation system (admittedly aged), this farm can run the number of livestock it does. The first responsibility of any rancher has to be to the grass.

Water on grass when the temperatures are warm, especially at night, makes for good growth. We have first water rights that came with the property when we bought it and will go with it when we someday leave it. These water rights are good until the creek gets too low; then we have to stop irrigating. So far this year, flow is holding well.

After every time I help move pipe, I feel tired but satisfied when I see the grass underfoot and enjoy how lush it looks, or even when walking over the dry grass and knowing how soon it will have water to grow again.

Then there is the project that Farm Boss took on because of the road crew deciding to do ditches on our gravel road. They sent around a letter in the spring asking if landowners along the road wanted fill dirt.

Now if it was me, I'd have ignored the letter because I have this viewpoint that such things always lead to complications, but Farm Boss saw opportunity. I am not sure if this comes out of our astrological signs-- him being Cancer and me being Libra.

Anyway, he arranged for some (a lot) of the dirt to be dumped on our pastures and barnyard. Admittedly there are holes at the back due to drainage pipes breaking down, and the barnyard would be less muddy a bit higher; but still. Oh well, it's his project and not mine. He's the worker of the backhoe (big boy toy), and I might add enjoys such work.

Anyway between getting in the hay for winter, selling some livestock that was ready for the market (never goes easily whether considering the physical or emotional end), frequently checking the fields for coyotes (we lost two lambs to them so far), moving irrigation pipe, chasing cows home who decided grass was greener on other side of the fence; fixing said fence; and tending the family vegetable garden, August is a busy season, and it's not over yet.

3 comments:

robin andrea said...

It sounds busy, and it sounds like how life should be lived. Tired at the end of the day.

Ingineer66 said...

Looks like a lot of work. They could have at least picked all the roots out of the soil before they gave it to you. :-)

Darlene said...

I really admire people who grow our food and raise our livestock and I know that it's very hard work. Kudos to you and Farm Boss for being part of that industrious industry.

You really have to love the life to be a rancher. My husband did, but unfortunately for him, I did not like being tied down by livestock that had to be fed and watered every day. My Mom loved ranching, too, and I was the maverick in the family.