Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, June 18, 2009

Life's mystery is that it exists at all

It could be a combination of many things that has had me thinking about the meaning of life. I do this in spurts, and then let it go with the realization each time that I cannot get my mind around it.

Everything comes from something-- except something did not--
the Universe or god-- take your pick.
With a Big Bang the Universe began to take form. It is now a creative and destroying universe. What is destroyed is the seed for what will be born again. Is there something behind it? If so, what?
We live. We die. What happens then?
Is there a purpose to mankind's existing at all? If so, what is it?

To these questions I have heard many many answers but they usually disagree. Religions sometimes explain why earth exists, why humans exist, but you have to take their word for it based on faith. Nobody can prove anything beyond what we can measure. We know our bodies are born. We inhabit them (well most of us do). We grow, age (creams, surgery and positive thinking notwithstanding). Whether from that aging, accidents, violence, or illness, we will someday die. That's where proof ends and speculation begins.

Some say it doesn't matter what life is about. They might have adopted the theories of their religions. They might say they never worry about such things. Life is what it is. For many people, trying to understand life's greatest mystery-- why it exists at all-- is a waste of time. It is, however, in my nature to try and understand things. Why life exists is a very big thing.

For me such questions have likely come now at least partly because of watching my little cat go through the last stages of her life, seeing her get old bit by bit and her body deteriorate to the point she finally had to let it go. I still miss her so much, look out at her little grave and feel sadness at my loss, but it has also been a reminder to me of the path we are all on. What she probably unknowingly faced, I also face-- knowingly.

I make myself feel somewhat better about her death by knowing she had a good, full life. Many don't get that much. I am also keeping myself aware in case she should reincarnate and return to me. But that thought represents a huge problem in my mind. How could that work? She came as a stray. How would she find her way back? I am not even sure I'd want her to reincarnate again given how terribly so many animals are treated. Whether reincarnation is true for animals (I had a feeling she had come again from an earlier cat I had) or us, it's not a choice. It's just a question.

My bout of questioning might also be because of all the world turmoil. Is there anyone not upset by what we are seeing in Iran? A government lets people think they have real choices, that they can vote, change directions, and then the leaders try to snatch it away, it's not hard to see how violence might erupt. Do the Iranian people have a real chance for peaceful lives? From a distance we hear about the demonstrations, the political responses, the possible change in the air, but imagine what it would be like to be living through it.

Then how about the North Korean situation where their leaders seem to believe the answer to diplomatic problems is to blow up someone else, and of course themselves, or at least their people, in the process! You think we have climate problems now. Can you imagine if that region of the world (or Iran's) used a nuclear bomb?


To go along with how I was already thinking, I came across this article in the NY Times: [The Origin of Life] where some scientists think they have figured out what could have triggered the growth of organic life forms on earth.

Could our whole existence be a fluke? A comet hit our planet, brought with it the building blocks of life, and from that everything else expanded and evolved? If that is so, it certainly did evolve into a complex world.

In the last month or so Farm Boss and I rediscovered Spielberg's Jurassic Park. If you haven't seen them (first two are best) for awhile, I recommend especially the first regarding this whole idea of life, science, what man can do or perhaps more accurately should do.

The movie, besides being exhilarating entertainment, is a reminder that the earth, for 165 million years, was ruled by dinosaurs. If they had continued to exist, mankind's development would have been unlikely. Chance or something, 65 million years ago sent an asteroid (current theory) setting the stage for an environment in which a new form of life could develop and thrive.

Life is so complex, so intertwined, so brilliantly designed or so chaotically lucky, that you cannot but wonder is this all there is? Is there a spirit being who did all of this or was it just a quirk of the cosmos? Journey to the Edge of the Universe on National Geographic (also available through Netflix) is another reminder of the complexity of life but it provides no answers. It shows what is, not how it got here.When life seems the most complex and confusing to me, I find the greatest joy in small things. Maybe that's why lately I have taken so many close-up photos of my roses. Although I have many tea roses for their intense colors and shapes, I absolutely love old-fashioned climbers. Their flowering may not last all summer but my what it exudes from late spring through early summer. Does any other rose smell so sweet?

In the following photo, I liked how you can see all stages of life on one stem, from the new bud to the withering petals.


And then there was this lucky shot when a bee decided to visit one of my old-fashioned roses just as I was taking its photo. The bee is all about simplicity of life and operating on instincts. Have we, with our oh so complex lifestyle, lost that?



More blogs coming spilling from this topic.

13 comments:

Paul said...

Like Albert Camus , I view life as being esentially absurd. :-)

Darlene said...

I agree with Paul and Camus.

Mankind has tried to find answers to this great mystery since the beginning of his time.

I gave up wondering about these subjects because of the impossibility of finding the answers. In the end, we believe what makes us comfortable. You believe in reincarnation and I believe that our short time on earth is all there is.

Rain Trueax said...

I don't really believe or disbelieve in reincarnation right now. As I have written here, it makes sense to me but so does dust to dust. I did those regressions with 6 past lives, had some other confirming events but I wouldn't say it constituted proof. Just an unknowable

joared said...

I have various periods of pondering life's meaning. Spending serious thinking time on life's mystery has been off my radar in recent years. I certainly agree that existence is life's mystery. I think it's fine to wonder about things and want to understand, but I believe some things are unknowable. If the day comes when there are no longer any mysteries about life, our world, the universe and all its complexities, then I think life as we know it now will have ended.

I believe life is far from absurd and is so, only if we allow it to be. Reincarnation or dust to dust are not important to me. They are both creations of man's mind.

Lilly said...

I am open to it without question and thats where I choose to end it. Just open to possibilities. I love your pictures of your roses. Beautiful and soothing.

stageoflife said...

I really enjoyed this blog and this post. I came across it because of your mention on the stages of life.

I just sent you an email about potentially adding your voice to our project. Please contact me if you're interested.

Eric
CEO/Founder
Stage of Life.com

Darlene said...

I forgot to compliment you on those enchanting photos of your roses. You are not only an artist with the brush but an artist with the camera.

Sorry I made a false assumption about your belief in reincarnation. I think it was the cat comment that threw me off.

I would love to believe in reincarnation, but the numbers (0f humans) don't compute.

Rain Trueax said...

I am glad you liked the flowers and close ups of flowers are something I have enjoyed very much for quite awhile. Flowers really are quite marvelous but really close-ups of anything are interesting.

As for reincarnation, it's not so much the numbers, since if you read up much on reincarnation, the belief is that souls can (and do) lead multiple lives. For me my uncertainty is the complexity of it. Like how the heck could that ever be worked out? Computers give us some clues but it still seems like dust to dust is the easiest thing to imagine happens. Anything else requires a master planner or many behind it. Which could be true but certainly cannot be proven.

I said that about Persia because I could never explain the loved she had for me without my deserving it. She just had to be near me and she would purr. I had written and done some art on it, my little shadow. I had had a cat earlier, who came as Persia came, just was here, and it was why I always wondered could it be possible? Some say it could but like I said, I'd worry about what might happen if she was born into some worse situation. Animals can be so abused.

I did hypnotic regressions-- 6 past life stories on my own with one added to it when I went to a hypnotherapist. I have read a lot of stories on other people's experiences with it, have had some things that make me wonder from my own life, but I really don't know. To me it's one of those mysteries. But it would explain a lot of things if you could get past the complexity of doing it. Basic biology is easier to believe is how it is.

robin andrea said...

Your photos make a wonderful juxtaposition to your questions and thoughts. There are no answers, except that this post reminds me of these lines from a song by Kate Wolf:

Days like flowers bloom and fade
And they do not come again
We only have this time we're living in.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't know what it is all about Rain...But like you...I always go back to nature and look at the "magic" of all that has been created that we seemingly had nothing to do with that creation....
I understand about the life cycle---and what you say is true not just for our dear loving pets---in my case Cats, too--But for people as well....some have better lives than others...Some people, like my dear dear friend who died three weeks ago--had such hard and terrible lives that they kill themselves. I understand that...But it doesn't make the pain of his loss any less...
What's It All About...?
I surely don't know. But I LOVE ALL the pictures you shared with us of the beauty of living things and even the beauty of their dying....

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

This phrase really leaped out at me: "Life is so complex, so intertwined, so brilliantly designed or so chaotically lucky, that you cannot but wonder is this all there is?"

For so many of my years I have studied so extensively trying to figure life out and the meaning of it cross-culturally. The more I know, the less I know as all I know.

I am also into the cycles of life and keep singing Turn, Turn, Turn. I am dreaming of my parents and sisters who are gone so frequently now that I wonder if I am preparing to transition. I hope not yet.

Gorgeous rose photos. How I would like to see you publish a book of your thoughts and your photos. It would sell, I'm sure.

Allan Erickson said...

so BIG is it all, all we really can do is ponder it... rare are the absolutes.

And a bravo on the rose pics. I shoot a few of those myself, now and again.

Kay Dennison said...

I've long been a believer that life is absurd, too.

The why of it all isn't essential for me. That it is is what matters.

I think your title says it all.

Your photos are, as always, marvelous!