Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 08, 2009

What I see is might not be what you see

When I am in Tucson, I am always struck again by the difference between the ratios on computer monitors. Down here I use my laptop but also have a wide screen monitor. I need both to work with the photos, cropping, sharpening or darkening because I have learned in the past that my laptop doesn't do the color right-- but my monitor doesn't do the ratios right. So it requires both to adjust a photograph.

This monitor, being a wide screen (my only option to buy when the old monitor died), stretches the width of objects. Well the monitor in Oregon does too but not quite so effectively. I have done some looking to see if I can solve this problem. In Oregon, it will be resolved by a new video card for my old computer, but in Tucson there are not enough options to do anything but be aware of it for what it is.

If I were to try and make the monitor image look like a print would, I could stretch it... although when I printed it, I'd probably look like the funny lady in the old Fun Houses where there were mirrors that either squashed or stretched your image.

This all bothers me because when caring about composition, you want the potential print to look the same on the monitor. Lotsa luck with that. Not to mention, I have enough extra pounds on my frame that I don't want to add more when sharing a photograph. How do I even know what someone else is seeing? Do you see what I see on the laptop, the monitor, or something totally different?

The only compensation I have for it is that it makes a good illustration for how humans see life. Most of us know this. We don't see the same things even when looking at the same objects. I might look in my mirror and see my nose is too large, while someone else never even sees that, and a third might think my gosh why didn't she have a nose job? When something happens in the world, one will interpret it as good while another sees it as terrible-- same event.

It's not surprising to me that only 20% or so of Republicans see Obama as doing well when 80% or so of Democrats see him as doing well. In the newspaper, they made a big thing out of that divided poll (welcome to the United States), but the question for how well you see him doing depends on the filter through which you are looking as well as what you thought was good to do.

If you wanted to see the US continue to torture, you won't like hearing them say they will not do so. If you thought you could have a war and low taxes, you will be irked when someone reminds you that things have a cost. From Republicans, I keep hearing that lowering taxes will boom the economy. I don't see the evidence. They evidently do or believe someone else who said it was there.

If we can't even make a monitor where everyone sees the same thing, I guess there's not much hope we humans will see it the same when it's involving things a lot more important. Ideally, we'd like to think that we see the same world and that while we might interpret an event differently, we did see the same thing. Except we didn't.

So if you see these photos of me down here as being short and squat, I am not. If you see them as tall and slim... well, hey, that's just how it was ;) ... internet symbol meaning wink.

(Photos are from April in Tucson Mountain Park and Catalina State Park.)

11 comments:

robin andrea said...

We do all see through our own filters. It's what makes communication so challenging sometimes. The best we can hope for is some balance between detail and abstraction.

Rain Trueax said...

This is a prime example of how we see differently. Daily Show has a way of nailing it like no regular news show does. Watch it all if you are from the right as the clips at the end are part of what has been going on vs what the right is trying to stir up fear is going on but isn't -- certainly not yet. This is a very nutty time is all I can say and communication is nigh unto impossible between the right and left. Baraknophobia. Hope it works for you as it's worth watching if you didn't see it on cable.

I find people like Hannity and the rest who go with this mania to be unbelievable and they call themselves the patriots while they are trying to stir up a revolt against the government the American people elected. What are they trying to do? They wanted a war and now don't want to fight for it. They let their elected president take away freedom after freedom and now they fear speculation of what might be.

Jon Stewart as always does it well and with the actual clips.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

"Let me say this as clearly as I can..." (beginning of my statement are the words of you know who)...the photogenic impression is all presentation. Rain you look beautiful no matter how the image is distorted because of how you pose yourself.

Rain Trueax said...

It is more lighting, at a certain age, than how we pose. Expression matters too and it's hard to get that right for anybody. Those represent several different angles but the lighting is what I look for if I don't want to look like the wicked witch of the east...

Paul said...

Rain you make the desert bloom !!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Well, I want to change my opinion on being photogenic. It is about how one holds themself and that is part of an emotional spirit within.

Darlene said...

Rain, you could stretch the ratio from one side of the page to the other and you would still look beautiful.

Right brain - left brain might account for why we see politics from a different viewpoint.

Zabetha said...

Rain, I haven't read your whole post yet but I just want to say that I used to have the same problem you have, with a new widescreen monitor that screwed up the proportions. Turns out you have to adjust the resolution of the screen to fix that. It was a while ago that I did that so I can't give you precise instructions, but what I did was call the store where I bought the monitor and they walked me through it. Good luck!

Rain Trueax said...

We did try that Anne and thanks for adding the suggest here for others who run into this problem. I am not sure if my monitor just didn't have enough options or it is the age of computer but it didn't do enough. It did help though. Farm Boss says it is because it's actually cheaper for them to make the wide screen that we don't have an option for any other size. Something about the size of the glass... I assumed it was because of those who play games or watch DVDs on theirs. Whatever it is, it plays havoc with photo work but he claims on my old machine in Oregon, a new video card will help that one. That video card has a wider range of aspect ratios than my laptop down here or my old machine there. I only hope the old machine doesn't blow a gasket when its changed... We put off doing it until we got back and there was more time if something went wrong.

NavyVet said...

This is VERY revealing in how much our troops respected President Bush versus the current occupant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHz5tevLAw&eurl



GW didn't want all the frickin' formal crap when he visited his warriors! Barry mandates it.

Rain Trueax said...

This is revealing too, Navy Vet. It's all in which links please one the most to see. hugs and smiles for Obama on Iraq troop visit. We all see what we want, I think. Personally I care more what people do and think the soldiers might feel that way also in the end.