Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, August 28, 2007

High Desert Flowers

From early spring until the first hard freeze of fall, I look for wildflowers from the big and showy to the tiny and nearly missed. By this time of summer, any wildflower is a treat. All of the ones to follow are blooming above 4000 ft in elevation and in the High Desert of Oregon.
The first ones are my favorites-- sunflowers. I like the way their heads turn toward the sun, the splashes of brightness that decorate the sides of highways. The plant is almost totally usable. They were cultivated by Native Americans as much as a thousand years ago.


I rarely know the name of flowers even though I have a few books that would let me find them if I would remember what I read-- which is unlikely. In this case... just guessing, based on a book, I think the following is one of the varieties of goldenrod.

I thought I knew what these following ones were-- bachelor buttons-- Well, if not that, then wild blue asters... But nothing, as I looked, quite fit the number of petals or center. Even more complex, they might be two different varieties of whatever they are.

The first photo is beside a high mountain lake; the second near a cattle loading chute but still in an drainage where it would have been moister. Trying to find the right name, I went through every book I had and the internet without finding anything that looked exactly right. So these are-- pretty blue flowers 1 and 2.

Finally teasel which is theoretically a weed but looks beautiful in flower arrangements. I left these where they were. One year I picked cattails from a mountain lake, brought them home only to have them do very odd things (as in explode) after a few weeks. Some things are meant to be enjoyed where they are.
Guess since I mentioned cattails, I should add one. I suppose they are a grass; but whatever their variety, I always photograph them when I get a chance.

12 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I know a few wildflower buffs and I will see if they can identify your beautiful picture of pretty blue flowers. The photographs are exceptional.

Anonymous said...

All nice. The goldenrod picture made me sneeze...

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics Rain! :-)

robin andrea said...

Very lovely pics of the wildflowers. Interesting that you mention forgetting what you read about flowers, me too. I have to keep going back and refreshing my memory!

I just saw your post below about water. Those photographs are so great. There is something about a creek meandering through a valley with mountains in the distance that just captures the essence of beauty for me.

Mary Lou said...

Is it Flax? I know it grows wild around here on tall stems with a blue flower....

Dick said...

Flower photos are one of my favorite macro photo subjects. I especially like your cat tail photo. Very nice.

Sandy said...

We have the same blue flowers here but I'm not sure what they are either. I should ask someone who may know.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos and beautiful flowers. I also love wildflowers and the Sunflower is one of my favorites. I named our rental home Chez Soleil (Place of Sun) and I have lots of Sunflower decorations around to add to the theme.

Unknown said...

Beautiful flowers which are especially beautiful because I'm plunked in the middle of the L.V. desert where there are none--just palms, white rocks for grass, and cactus. They are beautiful in their own way, but I'm a pushover for wild flowers.

Good post on cronyism. I'll click the Huffington link and read in depth when I get back home again. Little computer access here.

Allan Erickson said...

Great set of posts on the High Desert Rain. The blue flowers could be chickory...

I love the High Desert and it does make up 2/3 of our state even though our mountains and forests are what we seem to be best known for.

One of these years I will build my final home over thataway.

And if you want some of the white sage, let me know, I have plenty (no more wrapped bundles, what I have left are all loose but they still burn well and smell the same) and I do venture down to California every few years to collect it from an old Chumash family gathering site in Los Padres Nat'l Forest.

Rain Trueax said...

I bet chicory is the small one, with many petals, Alan, and maybe the other is flax, Mary Lou. I don't know the petals on it which is too bad. I also think about living in eastern Oregon someday. I would also love to have a bit of white sage gathered in a place like that, Alan, Thank you for the offer. My email is here, let's see if we can work it out. My only white sage has been purchased in bundles and commercially which may or may not meet my criteria for the kind of place to gather it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like wild chicory to me -- it grows all over here in Tennessee. I do enjoy your posts and photos.