Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, April 03, 2021

when morning comes

 by Rain Trueax


For the month of March, with no plan to do so, I watched absolutely no television, movies, nor listened to any radio talk shows. It started because of my bout of nightshade intolerance, but it went beyond that as I could not stand the idea of watching the television screen. After a week or so, I began to consider what television had been doing to my daily life. What I learned is it was filling in time. Although I had already reduced (not none until March began) watching political news, I still had cable for HGTV, documentaries, and a Hallmark movie once or twice a week. We also had Curiosity Stream for nature and historic films, but they seemed too simplified and more aimed at kids than adults. Pretty and all but nothing much to learn.

As I recovered from being sick, things changed for what I wanted my days to look like. I cut back on the Internet-- for a while none, and then very little, but gradually found a reasonable amount of time to check on friends at Facebook, and of course, read newspapers and online magazines with news stories. Still, it was nothing like it had been.

The cable, political news that I had been watching had had some events covered, but a lot of it had been by pundits to tell me what I should think about what I'd seen. If I had been a right winger, I'd have been watching shows like Newsmax or if I was a left winger, it'd be MSNBC. Neither one was going to give both sides of anything. That's not what their audience expected from their pundits.


So, what did I replace that time with-- what am I still replacing it with? Well, watching the clouds in the sky as they changed outside my bedroom window. I got some info on the names of cloud types (cumulus, cirrus, stratus, and nimbus). The problem quickly became that clouds mixed together and finding pure cloud shapes wasn't happening often. Clouds have many varieties. Maybe just enjoying them was the ticket.

I enjoyed watching the trees move with the wind, the birds fly past the window, and the mountain about three miles or so away. In some ways, it was all nothing. In other ways, it was my real world.

Reading aloud continued, but we left behind the non-fiction to try a book I'd never read, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I didn't expect to like it but got into these characters. We ended up buying more books in the series of five. Currently, we are working on the fourth in the series-- with the third waiting on the dresser. They weren't in order but the fourth didn't need to be. I do not plan to read the fifth given reviews I'd read of it. Ranch Boss has been doing all the aloud reading, which has been enjoyable for us both as the dialogue in those books is fun. 

The three cats got used to the idea that I was not in the living room but rather our bedroom. They adjusted to that and I enjoyed watching them as they worked out their own relationships-- not always in good moods.

March also got me my second Moderna and finally I am, at two weeks after that, which theoretically means fully protected, only the more you read, the more you know it doesn't always work that way. Still, I am glad I did it and hope that those who can will do so. What we need to know about viruses is a long way off, I suspect.

From not watching television, I got used to not trying to think and just be. I didn't need to fill the space as just being was satisfying. I thought of many things for issues politically, some I might share here someday, but for now, this is it. 

My own conclusion is that television may not be doing our brains or emotions a favor. Like so many things, everyone needs to evaluate that for themselves.

These photos are all from April 2nd as the sun rose with clouds providing a show.



3 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

Interesting post! You’re right about clouds, sometimes they’re hard to categorize. Here we rarely get the kind that you photographed, usually we just get all-blue or all-grey skies. I like reading the Economist for news; they like to write humorously (they love puns!) and they usually write a fairly objective description of an event followed by a paragraph that starts with “We think...” and say their opinion. I think it is nearly impossible to report an event without bias so you have to read or watch or listen widely to get different angles, then decide your own opinion. My own bias tends toward liberal (or left wing), but I do try to understand why other people don’t see things my way :-)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I had my second Pfizer vaccination yesterday. I felt good until after spending a half an hour planting peas late this afternoon. Now I am a little more tired than usual and before reading your blog I decided to skip the news tonight. that is in accordance with my reducing the amount of news this past month. I ordered two news magazines both biased towards the liberal but may also add the Economist. Elizabeth it is a breath of fresh air to have news periodicals announce when they are expressing opinion.

Rain Trueax said...

So much of cable news is biased that it got harder and harder to watch. Even if they don't say the words, it's the tone, expression, and even more what they don't cover.

For reasons I can't explain, after I got over being sick, I still couldn't stand to watch anything. I was surprised by what it had been filling in for in my life whether it was news or a documentary. I never though had favorite series as some do and that might've changed how I saw it. I hear some talk about their favorite series but I never wanted to get trapped in something open-ended, where the ending might change all the rest. For shows like that, if I know I'd like them, I prefer to get them on DVD-- when they are over.