Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, January 08, 2021

Reading Aloud

 by Rain Trueax

 

We took down the last of Christmas-- the tree-- on Epiphany, which seemed an appropriate time given the story of the Wise Men. Who knew it'd all prove such an upsetting time in the US. Because I wasn't watching TV, I didn't see the actual footage of the mob. Later I got clips and read about it. I am attempting to stay informed but have no interest in writing about something when the facts often change depending on the source.

At first our home seemed incredibly sparse without all the greens, but I've settled back into it. I love this simple little house and feel grateful many times just walking into a room that is so us. It is full of art and furniture collected over many years with no idea it'd end up here when it was purchased. It's not finished as in changes may come, but that's the beauty of life. We can change.

Earlier this week, I got curious regarding how many books we had together read in 2020, our way to escape into other worlds. We began reading aloud, taking turns, last January and it has proven a good experience. Previously, Ranch Boss (need a new name for him that relates to the desert since our son is running the ranch) had done very little reading aloud; so it was a new experience for him, which he came to like. We often talk over what we read when we are finished with the snippets. People did this for many centuries, once books were available (before that maybe they related myths), but then other entertainments became more appealing. I think this is one that bears a new look as a way to share.

 

Our choices were all nonfiction, some originally published as articles in literary or nature magazines. Many were kind of memoirs-- sharing a small part of the authors' lives. They are set in the Southwest with a couple of exceptions. Most we had already owned. A few led us to buy a book that carried on a theme. A couple I had to buy that I knew I owned in Oregon, but a used version was cheaper than asking our son to find them and mail them down here. I didn't think to write titles down as we finished them last year but we searched them out. They are not in order. Two of them we mailed to our son for him to read (the first two below).

The Happiness Equation

The Dude and the Zen Master

The Desert Year

The Hidden West

Chulo

Taos Memory

Home is the Desert

One Life at a time, Please

Book of the Hopi

Pumpkin Seed Point

The Desert Smells like Rain

The Dancing Healers

The Theft of the Spirit

Kindling Spirit.

I was surprised to find we had read 14 with one more that we started in December but didn't finish until the new year. I might write more about it-- unless something else comes up for next Saturday.



8 comments:

Brig said...

Thank you for the book list. I'm always looking for new books to read.

Rain Trueax said...

I think you'd really like the nature oriented ones (also Edward Abbey's One Life at a Time Place. He was one of a kind.

I still haven't gotten a reply on the book you had in Red Bluff. I might see if they have a phone number come Monday.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The list of books sound delightful and reading together wonderful.

Rain Trueax said...

Many I read years ago by myself and they were also wonderful. Inspiring and even better for a time like ours. I felt grateful that I came up with the idea before we understood what the virus and then civil unrest would do to our country. They are an escape into other times.

Wally said...

I recently read a book I think you might enjoy. On the Border With Crook, by John G Bourke. Bourke was a captain in the 3rd Cavalry and aide de camp of General George Crook who was in charge of the Arizona Department in the late 1800's. It gives an excellent description of the culture ( American, Hispanic, and Native American), geography, and cuisine of Arizona especially in the area of Tucson. I was especially interested in the logistics involved in moving large numbers of men and equipment from place to place. Much different than the scenes of the Cavalry riding to the rescue depicted in western movies. While I was reading I couldn't help thinking it would be an excellent reference resource for anyone writing about the south west. The second half of the book deals with General Crook's involvement with the Indian wars of the Great Plains.

Rain Trueax said...

That does sound like a good book. I'll look it up. Another angle to the story.

Joared said...

Interesting collection of titles that suggest they would be intriguing. I've been side-tracked from some Hopi books (including a title and author you had mentioned here) that I purchased, intending to start reading, when I discovered a new virtual book club starting under the auspices of our city gerontology assoc. I think they would be more interesting to me than the group's selections but want to explore how this club develops from it's start. This is in addition to another book club whose virtual meetings I had resumed participating in several months ago. I probably will eventually pare down to only one book club since I want time for other matters.

I continue to enjoy some of the awe-inspiring photos you've shared in several posts. I notice some are attributed to your husband which are quite spectacular, so thanks to you both.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Joared. My husband takes most of the photos that are more recent as he has a steadier hand than I do with my essential tremors. I used to take many more. I am working on some things to reduce the tremors and maybe I can again take photos. Even with a stabilizer in our camera, a jerk at the wrong time ruins a picture. Also for bird photos, you have to hold the camera steady for moments at a time, which can be a problem with the shakes. I do the editing though; so it's a partnership just as my writing has become.

I find so many of the books recommended today have subject matter that turns me off-- like really unpleasant protagonists. I really do prefer nonfiction for my reading. Learning about the Hopi and other native peoples has let me see that human nature is human nature. Our desire to have an individual voice or to be part of a group was even a conflict within their tribal society-- more so today. It's an interesting cultural dynamic.