Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 20, 2021

by Diane: "You have a lot of things going." The appraiser's understatement

Monday, January 18

 The Oregon State death tax requires me to get an appraisal for Fisherman Hubby's worth the day he passed away. Today the appraiser took a look around the home property. She saw the shop undergoing modernization of windows and doors.  Sadly the barn doors were on the burn pile. I guess the neighbor decided that one of the Dutch doors was too big for the tree house he was building for his kids. The Dutch doors are so cute; perhaps Habitat for Humanity will accept them. In the garage that is part of the house,  Piles are stacked high with small pieces of oak, maple, birch and other wonderful wood types from years of projects. Today I failed in selecting pieces of wood that I could give to Habitat to Humanity. I never expected to be so attached to lumber. What am I doing?  I may not want to stop painting to make frames.

 It could be folly but today I bartered away the 1985, 13' 4" Almar Lite aluminum boat.  This boat and motors traded for small room renovated for a utility sink and a toilet and window, new ceiling and  insulated walls.  

Every where the appraiser looked - a different project in process.  On the fireplace mantel are a broken dessert wine glass and a broken nutcracker toy soldier and superglue to repair them.  A children's book I was putting together for the contractor's boys are on the high art table in the living room.  In the dining room is a cabinet Fisherman Hubby built brought in temporarily from the shop. It is now devoted to a papermaking project to make bio-degradable urns to spread Fisherman Hubby's ashes at sea. I need to go change the bedding on my bed now. It is my bedtime. I finally got around to laundering sheets today.  Time for bed now.  Tomorrow I will have what is left of a nail removed from the right foot's little toe next to the big toe.  Supposedly I can return to my regular activity on Wednesday.  Tomorrow afternoon I will have a break and can read.

Though it is tempting to volunteer to show my art, I will pass by. Today Tina Price Green who manages the events at OSU LaSalle's Steward Center stopped by with a much needed bag of spinach.  She off handedly mentioned that after the Vistas and Vineyard's art exhibit comes down in less than a week she had no idea what will be showing. Anyone prepared to contact LaSalles Stewart Center with a lot of art ready to hang?

Tuesday, January 19

The removal of the nail was easy. The experience of using Call a Ride and Lyft was difficult because at 9:45 it is not busy. Drivers for Call a Ride  can come over 30 minutes early.  The time around 10:40 to noon is busy for both services so I impatiently summoned a very nice neighbor to pick me up and bring me home. Maybe I will eventually be prepared and know what to expect. Or I will have less going on in my life to daydream about while driving. Maybe I will deem myself able to make faster decisions while driving. But on the other hand the stresses in the ownership and care of a car maybe more weighty than inconveniences of waiting for or rushing to be ready for a ride. 

This afternoon two great developments. My dentist office called with the news that I over paid $300 for services for both my Fisherman' Hubby and myself.  Then a neighbor bordering the west side of our property was hoping I would want to sell the lot with all the grass for the sake of preserving some nature.  At first I was happy about selling.  Now I have my doubts about converting back to three lots now that the studio/shop can be connected to the sewer and water.  The grass field and shop property is one lot with only one connection to sewer and water.  Got to call the county clerk to see if the grass field can be added to their property leaving the shop as one lot and my house as one lot. That would lessen the burden of caring for so much garden.

I wonder if I continue to live on my own, if I will be able to be careful and not spread myself too thin. I am leaning towards donating most of the wood and radial arm saw. I am not giving up my assemblages, and papermaking for a year. Lots of painting is in my future.




3 comments:

Tabor said...

you seem to be pacing yourself well. I cannot imagine how this all impacts you. So stressful, but perhaps it is good to put it all down in writing. Something we all must face.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thanks Tabor,
Up early. Toe feels pretty good and didn't need Tylenol or maybe I should have taken it and I would not have gotten up so many times.
The hard thing now is facing how much I should restrict my creativity. I do not have Fisherman Hubby to set up out of the box technically difficult presentations like modular wood block and odd shaped canvas supports. For that matter do I need an air compressor to spray fixative on watercolors so I will not have to frame them under glass. I do not like to use spray cans for environmental reasons.
These are wonderful problems to have.

Mary Arthur, your Perfect Romance Coordinator said...

Wow.... ours was an estAte in the entirety in Oregon. No death tax, and our property went to me. Illness stole it from me!!
As a Korean War veteran’s widow, my pension is very small. I can earn up to $1200 a month before my pension is affected!! I am looking at extra sources of income and taken reduced rate courses at UDemy.com.
I will survive!!
Don’t let any one convince you that you won’t!!!
Welcome to the unique club that no one intentionally joins!!
Mary Arthur