Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, November 05, 2011

eReaders

When people discuss the eReaders, for some the issue is their familiarity and liking of paper. They have grown up with books being readily available and they are resistant to losing that sensory experience and switching to an electronic media.

For me, this was never a problem. I had been turned off on the weight of reading hardback books; so a plus for me was the lightweight of the Kindle. I got more than one migraine later from reading a heavy book in bed, holding it up, of course, and finding it irritated my neck later. I don't live near a library for borrowing books and had a bookshelf (okay 5 of them) full of books and overflowing. Electronic media means a new way to read without acquiring more 'stuff'.

What I bought to start was both a Nook (for color and internet access) and a Kindle. Very quickly I discovered I favored the Kindle for book reading and color didn't matter for most of what I was buying. I select my books by using my computer (where I do see color), reading the reviews, and then read them later on the Kindle where the text is easy on the eyes, its lightweight is perfect, and I don't look at the cover again anyway. The Nook has the advantage of being lit which is good at night if you are reading in bed with a partner wanting to sleep but otherwise being lit doesn't matter.

Either one is great for exercising with the Nordic Track or if someone had a treadmill. I had been using paperback books but they weren't as easy to read or turn pages. We already had a clipboard on the bar which made it quite easy to use the Kindle or Nook for my (mostly daily) time with it.

The one place that so far I am not thinking I will be using either one is research where I either want to print off things from the Internet or buy books that I can highlight and bookmark. I know I could do that with the Kindle but have this feeling scanning with it would not be as easy as it is with a paper book. Lately I am researching 1865 or thereabouts Oregon and buying the books seems the right answer as I'd save no money with getting them from Kindle and, more over when the project is finished, I couldn't resell them.

Kindle stores the books easily, makes it easy to access what I've been reading or add another. In fact getting new books is too easy. I think the whole thing can be addictive especially since Amazon sends me out emails suggesting I might like this or that book. I don't know if it's a regular event but I got one such email giving me 100 titles for a set span of them at sale prices under $4.  Usually I check Kindle and Nook to see if there is a price difference and often the type of books for which I am looking are a bit cheaper with Kindle.

So far if I wanted to read a bestseller, I'd probably still buy the book from say Costco where the price is reduced  (making it around the same price) and I could later sell the book at one of my favorite used book outlets. If I am buying a paperback, I won't pay more than I could get it used. Mostly the Kindle prices on the books, not by best selling authors, are cheaper than my used store.

This whole thing is a totally addictive awareness as in it used to be I'd see a book online and think I'd like it but I'd generally have to wait to purchase it. Now I get this heady sense of power that I can have them instantly. One click and it's mine. I need to make a budget.

I have not yet tried library borrowing; but from what I am told one library (where I'd have to pay a yearly fee to join) is only letting readers have a book for a week. That could be a drawback. I know the publishing houses didn't like them being in libraries at all, and wanted to set it up with so many rentals and then their copy disappears. That hardly seems fair as libraries have always been a cheaper way for a lot of people to access books.

I have made some mistakes in what I have bought, but it's easy to delete them as despite reviews and a few sample pages, I do think I get a better sense of whether I'd like a book when I am scanning it in a bookstore. I have learned you want a Table of Contents as that enables easily going here or there in a hurry.

Whichever story you are reading (and I might have two or three going at the same time), when you click on that book, it'll take you instantly to where you were. On mine changing where that is through a different chapter is done by hitting Menu and a Go To option which is where the Table of Contents is useful. I also now have collections set up which will make it easier to find things in the future and keep the collection from being unwieldy.

The Nook, for me, was less intuitive and takes more to figure out how to use it but the Kindle (mine is the mid range without the advertising banner and without color), I could pick it all up without reading the tutorial, which does come with it.

The advantage of the Nook will come later when its battery can be replaced locally but the Kindle will require sending it in (as best I understand it). I have no idea how long a battery will keep being easily recharged.

As things stand, when we put up my own books, I think they will be in both Kindle and Nook and not sure about other places. Each place you submit them requires a different format. Google eReaders can (as I understand it) access off either the Kindle or the Nook with an app.

Using eReaders have more confusing aspects to publishing your own work; but for reading other people's, I am very happy with the service. It is also going to make my bookshelves happy as they were overflowing with books I didn't want to sell. Yes, I have long been a book addict-- I've just now added a new way to be addicted.

13 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm still hanging back with the old fashioned "book". I like the feel of the pages and everything about reading the Old Fashioned Way.....That is not to say I may not at some point switch over to a Kindle or some other eReader---But for now, I still want the feel of that book in my hands....And as to getting things quickly---I just bought The Harry Belefonte book and I had it in two days....Quick enough for me.

Anonymous said...

The pleasure of sorting through bookshelves at the library and used book stores is a pleasure I won't give up easily. I'm not adverse to using the new technology for reading. It's convenient. Coming home with a bunch of books is also fun. Maybe I can have my cake and eat it, too. -- Julie

Rain Trueax said...

Yes, Julie, I plan to have both methods. As I said, I buy Kindle books when they're cheaper than used (also Kindle many no longer being published books). I also would not buy a bestseller on Kindle because, as I said, I could not resell it if it wasn't a keeper. My overflowing bookshelves add no pleasure to me though. They just seem like no more room for new reads and where libraries aren't practical in my life, this is perfect. I just ordered four books from Amazon that were for researching this new idea for a book. I had the option of buying one of them on Kindle but not the other three. I chose paper for easier researching and my ability to resell them when the researching stage is finished if I think I won't need them again. I think with the low price of Kindles (less than I paid) they are a good alternative method and don't have to be an either/or.

Paul said...

Call me a dinosaur, because I still like the feel of a book in my hands;however, I am not against the new technology. :-)

Anonymous said...

Rain--Thanks for the summary on ereader services. Although I am not tempted to buy an ereader, it is interesting to keep up on them.
Cop Car

Rain Trueax said...

Well I am happy with it but won't be giving up books totally although on trips, it is probably all I would take. I used to pack 5 or 6 books because I'd never be sure what I'd want to read on the road. Now I can still have a lot of books with me but not the weight. I also like the ease of buying classics, many are free, just for the fun of rereading what I have years ago. IF I had a library nearby though, a lot of that would be less of a factor.

Rain Trueax said...

I should add that my daughter-in-law has an iPad and with apps, she can get Nook or Kindle books. She is quite happy with it for recipes and a lot of things. I thought it also read well when I looked at it; but it is more expensive and weighs more than the Kindle. My Kindle would now be $100. Amazons is now offering a new feature if a person buys their Prime ($79 a year) which gives 2-day shipping on book orders, free streaming movies from their library, and now a lending library where (for Kindle owners) you can borrow one book a month (which includes NYT bestseller list books) and keep it for an unlimited amount of time. Since we can't do streaming movies here, it's not practical for me; but if we ever change our phone service, we might. The last DVD player we bought does both Blu-Ray and Wireless connection with streaming potential. We were quite surprised how much better all of our DVDs look even though we aren't buying Blu-Rays yet. It's a world with many options. I find that exciting and keeps a person learning all the time.

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks for the info. I am still considering a Kindle but have not pulled the trigger yet. Our library supports the Nook but not Kindle so that is one downside.

Rain Trueax said...

Be sure you check out if that's still the case with your library, ingineer; as Corvallis' now does support the Kindle. This is a fast changing world where it comes to internet and media. I would have to buy an out of district membership but think I probably will as the closer library to me (which I'd also have to buy an out of district membership) doesn't have the capacity even with Nook.

Nook has an advantage if a person wants to read magazines with it. It really is figuring out what you do most and there are pluses probably to each system.

My Kindle has a button on the side to advance pages, the newest Kindle in the stores has the swipe of your finger like the Nook. It's always something new. I myself like the button but I'd have gotten it nearly $40 cheaper if I'd waited. That happens a lot and a person just has to grin and bear it because you never know.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I love the feel of a paper novel. Knowing from the feel of the weight how much I have read, I get a physical sense of how the plot is playing.

I am not adverse, though to buying a kindle soon. This article gives me the idea that I could fit in more reading while exercising or while my husband sleeps.

Ingineer66 said...

I just went to my library's web-page and it says "Now available ebooks for Kindle". That is new in the last 2 months.
I am really torn now. I like the Kindle for books, but if I could get magazines on a Nook, I may have a hard time finding time to read a book.

Dick said...

I think the Nook uses epub format books and if so, that is pretty much the standard one that is used by a lot of them, such as the Sony. If you format your books for Kindle and epub they will be readable on most of the ereaders.

I tried a subscription to Time magazine on my Kindle but didn't like it so cancelled. But it is easy to try and equally easy to cancel if you want to. Pictures are in fairly low resolution and no color. I can get them on my computers or tablet if I want but I found that I spent too much time reading them, like wasting time.

I thought most libraries loaned ebooks for three weeks and if you share (loan) one to another person it is only for two weeks and you can only do that once with each book. I've got to check on my local library to see if they are available yet. I know that Seattle Public Library system has a lot of them but am not sure if or how inter-library loan might work on ebooks.

For technical books I will definitely stay with paper books as I want to be able to easily bounce back and forth between different pages and sections. I also want a good index. There is a lot of possibility there with ebooks like with live links but I don't know if or how well that has been implemented yet in them.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I'm using an iPad but I must admit that I am still totally enamored with tangible books as first choice. I work in a library, however, and volunteer at another, so I know the age of digitization is upon us.