Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Autumn colors

It's November 8th-- be sure you are voting.


My part of the Pacific Northwest had a pretty start to autumn this year with more color than some of the years where we've had more rain.


We're not a showy area with the bright reds like the mountains or New England but the golds and orange, frosting many of our trees, help make up for that.


Our Herefords add to the autumn color. Of course, they do it year round.


Naturally the brilliant color appeals to me as does that I finally can start having fires in the evening. Winter fires in the fireplace are part of what helps me get through a dark season. There is not much more soothing than watching a fire and having a warm spot to sit and warm your back.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Fall here mostly gold too, for some reason we are not getting the brilliant reds we have in the past. Lots of bare trees but also some trees still holding now burnished leaves. The maple in my front window is just starting to turn from green to yellow facing my window, and a darker gold on the street side. I am wondering if it will turn red at all.

Oh yes, fire is good! I don't have a fireplace but do have a woodstove with a window, I start it in the morning and let it die when the sun starts to pour through the windows. The heat from the sunlight will carry the house through to the end of the day.

Tabor said...

Lovely photos, especially that last cozy fire. We have been having fires almost every evening.

Anonymous said...

Love to see those fall colors there. We're having a beautiful fall here too. The air is clear and crisp, and the few trees that are turning look gorgeous against the blue skies.

Yes, to fires. It does take that dark chill out of winter.

Taradharma said...

Lovely photos! I completely agree with you on the fire thing -- it's one of the joys of the season. Something primitive and basic about it.

Anonymous said...

Rain--You and my Hunky Husband would get along well, sitting by a fire. I think that fires remind me too much of a childhood spent in hard times - when wood was saved for cooking and coal was used for heating. (If you get a coal fire built, let me know. It would be nostalgic - but - of course, I would feel too, too guilty about polluting the air!)
Cop Car

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I've seen a fair amount of color changing even in the area I live in though not as spectacular as some of the places you mention. I, too, love the fireplace and since rain is predicted, it will be nice to snuggle up and read. I'm almost done with The Dovekeepers.