Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, December 12, 2009

cats in the desert or something like that

The cats are not especially happy but getting along with each other better than at home. Misery loves company? Because of the coyotes and bobcats living so close to this house, I am reluctant to let either cat be outside without us there which means only on leashes. Cats really don't care much for leashes.

The cat that was born down here (you can guess which one) is loving being outside any chance he gets. As soon as he gets out, he rolls in the dust, collecting slivers and barbs but who cares (we do the next time we pet him). He loves this dusty ground, the smells, the rodents, the birds, the rabbits. For several years of his life he had lived on this place, catching his food (finding the head of a rabbit is not high on my list of good memories). Then we began our relationship with him which led to adoption and the life of a privileged pussycat which comes with limitations.


The younger cat was born and reared in Oregon but also came to us as a stray as in he just showed up. He does not approve of this country and mostly has been spending his time wishing he was back where it's raining or at the moment frigid outside. He doesn't know that it would be cold though. He dreams of better days and imagines it all being that way.


The worst part for these boys is the knowledge (ours, not theirs) that toward the end of the month they have to make the return journey to Oregon. Basically for now they'd as soon stay here. The older one is treating the younger like a little brother. He licks him so much that the younger ends up soaking. Due to insecurity, the younger is letting him do it.

The tougher part for me is that another cat had moved into our carport. He looks exactly like the one we adopted nearly 10 years ago (although without today's white hairs in his muzzle). When I first saw him jumping down from the carport shelf, it was deja vu. I am not sure what is going on but he often sits outside meowing, wanting a combination of attention and more food. Even though he's really thin, politely he wants petting before he settles down to eat.

I don't think our male cats would take well to another male. It's not just the fighting but the peeing contests that would worry me; but I also think someone does have him but just hasn't been home or has him outside most of the time. He's neutered. I am trying to be practical. It's tough to hear a cat meowing all night outside. Would these become the Three Musketeers or would we have civil war in our house if we adopted a third black cat (photo below)?


Why do people abandon or not properly take care of their pets?

8 comments:

robin andrea said...

Uh-oh, looks like you have a third kitty cat. It's hard to notice a needy animal and then walk away. Maybe a few "FOUND" signs in the neighborhood will alert the original owners that their pet is missing (and hasn't been eaten by coyotes or bobcats yet). Our kitty cat also likes to be petted before he eats. I've often wondered why that is. Roger thinks it's because he was probably taken away from his mom too soon. Good luck with him. He sure is a pretty boy.

Rain Trueax said...

I don't feel I can take him and he doesn't want to come into the house as soon as he sees our cats. He comes through the door and immediately runs off. I would have to have him tested for feline leukemia and just not that sure he doesn't belong to someone. His coat is well groomed. That was not the case with the one we adopted from here. There is at least one more that is coming around since I have put out food for this one. It's tough.

Mike McLaren said...

Hopefully, the roads around here will no longer resemble hockey rinks when desert kitty arrives. But, last night I heard a pack of coyotes howling near Bald Hill, and a cougar was spotted in the residential areas of Philomath... so that might help to make desert kitty feel at home!

Ingineer66 said...

They are probably happier in the desert than they would be in the snow in Oregon right now.

mandt said...

Absolutely fabo kittahs!

Kay Dennison said...

Nice kitties!!! Everyone says I need a pet but I don't think I need the vet bills or the responsibility. Right now taking care of me is tough enough.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I just loved hearing about your kitties, Rain. And I don't know why people abandon pets. I watched a silly but heartwarming film tonight--Hotel for Dogs. I especially like that photo with the cactus by the cat.

Mary Lou said...

He may have run away. My Chitters ducked out the front door 2 1/2 years ago, and I never saw him again. I know he would worm his way into anyone's heart as he was so pretty. But he ducked between my legs and ran! He was NOT an outside kitty either. Now that Lint has gone to kitty heaven, neither of by two remaining ones EVER get to see the front or back porch! They each have their own window!