Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 18, 2009

Best Laid Plans

When we arrived at the home we call Casa Espiritu, it was to find a lot of damage done in the kitchen by water leaks from a combination of the ice maker and pipes. This was the first time in ten years that we haven't come in here and had it all be mostly like we had left it.

One cabinet door was totally destroyed and the insides of the cabinets were ruined. Replacing the non-functional swimming pool pump could not be ignored(which Farm Boss did the first week) but other projects we had planned, like adding a screened porch, obviously had to be put aside.

Before anything could be replaced, the walls and floor had to dry out. When he tore out the wallboard at the back, he found black mold. Two of the cabinets had to be removed completely. I suppose we could have gone to our insurance agent to take care of all this. It would have taken time and a lot more money from somebody if not us. From the standpoint of speed (and this didn't seem like an act of god but rather one we should have thought of in terms of replacing old pipes and the ice maker line), we opted to do it ourselves.

The complications didn't let up. When we tried to buy new cabinets, the company had gone out of business a year and a half ago. That seemed to be a huge problem which might demand even more time going up to Phoenix and trying to find a close match. I didn't mind how it looked with no doors, but under the sink was no place that was possible. Lying in bed one night, I realized there were two more of the same size of doors. They closed another cabinet that I had never effectively used. By removing those doors and storing appliances in that space, with a pull out shelf, it became more efficient and looked fine exposed.

For two weeks the kitchen was a mess with just enough space to cook what was required between tools and repair equipment. Hikes and anything else mostly had to be worked between phases of the repair work. The lady at Ace Hardware came to know Farm Boss so well that when he went in, she would ask, what did you forget this time?

Finally the kitchen was finished. We were then able to begin the next phase of the project to make this house work as a vacation rental. For the nearly ten years that we have owned this home, we had borrowed two paintings from Parapluie, one a large oil ("Morning on Desert"). It especially had added a lot to the persona of the house. She had logically decided this year that if possible she would like it back.

Knowing I had to return the painting, I had brought down paintings in the truck. We also knew we had to replace several older Navajo rugs that we wouldn't leave here. With a vacation rental, there is always risk because some won't think of it as any different than taking towels from a motel. I guess it's not but it's equally dishonest. I have talked to people who have rented their homes and know that most people are honest, but you can't always tell in advance who will not be.


At any rate, when I first lifted Parapluie's painting from the wall, I felt a little sick as the living room simply didn't seem the same without it. It had added so much life to the room. I had often lain on the sofa and just looked into it. But then change is part of life and I knew we had been lucky to have it as long as we had.

The two paintings I had expected would work in its space just weren't the same. I began to wonder if I would have to buy a print somewhere, but I kept trying different combinations of paintings, sculpture and pottery. When I tried the painting of petroglyphs from an area we often visit, it was what pulled it all together.

With that painting, its sculptural qualities of the rocks, it seems that the house has entered a new phase, taken on a new identity. It's amazing how much art does do exactly that. With some rearranging of furniture, the kitchen will be a far better place for cooking and likewise better for dining. It came together in a way I hadn't planned-- serendipity.

The home has always been what I have hoped it would be-- a place for art, creativity, intellectual expansion, and spiritual contemplation. If someone else decides to rent it, I hope they will find some of what I have in the last ten years. Although I will still own it, I feel I am giving it up in some ways. That wasn't easy to do.


From here I have seen dreams come true, created art, loved, wept, experienced being. I have known disappointment here but also great joy. I have shared it with friends, had psychic readings within its walls, watched javelina drink from the pool, seen the coyotes and bobcat run past, watched bunnies and quail squabble over the seed block.

From its shelter, I have been here when the lightning has flashed and the house felt rocked by thunder. Through its windows I've watched the moon rise over Pusch Ridge and seen the sun set in the Tucson Mountains. From it I have gone out and found wonderful hiking trails, desert pools, creeks, and petroglyphs. It has been a very special place for me and I hope it will now be that for others who may find it and experience some of what I have been gifted by being here. It is a house of magic but also just a very simple little house.

11 comments:

Paul said...

Have a good Christmas Rain and God bless you !!

Ugich Konitari said...

You know, your house looks so wonderful, maybe I will " virtually " rent it and cook a nice spicy Indian meal there......

Have a wonderful Christmas and a safe, healthy and peaceful New Year...

Ingineer66 said...

Wow, what a big project that turned into. But it looks like you guys did a great job of making repairs and improvising. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

robin andrea said...

It's a beautiful house, and you've done such a thoughtful and creative job in pulling it together for future vacation renters. It definitely looks, and more importantly feels, like the kind of place I would want to spend time. Lovely.

Kay Dennison said...

It's a lovely home and I can see your personality in it. And yeah, I think art is essential to a home -- bare walls annoy me.

You are so blessed!!!!!!

Mary Lou said...

It will always be your home. You could always bhring your own art to put in it when you are staying there.

mandt said...

What a beautiful space! Happy Holidays!

Darlene said...

I am happy to see the house at last. It is truly 'you'.

I enjoyed our time together and am looking forward to your next Tucson visit already.

Thank you for the outing yesterday.

Dick said...

Your feelings of loss are a lot like what I felt this fall when we sold our RV. But I'll have to admit that last week, when we had six straight days with the thermometer never getting above freezing, it was nice to not have to worry about things freezing in the RV. And I do have some wonderful memories that relate to it and its predecessor.

Unless you rent the house full time you should still be able to use it as you'll know enough ahead when you want to go down and will just pencil yourselves in for that time.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I like what you have done in putting up your paintings. Looking at my own, I am always thinking how I could have made them a little different. They are never finished in that they point to new work. I'll be very happy to have my painting back for that reason.

Anonymous said...

Ah, what fine lemonade you have made from the lemons, Rain. Kudos! As your other readers have acknowledged, your house is beautifully done! I miss the simplicity of the southwest. It is always wonderful for soaking up tranquility.
Cop Car