Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, November 22, 2009

Putting today in perspective

Because I don't tend to notice significant dates as others do, I didn't realize today was significant until I read this article. The article is not so much about what happened November 22, 1963, but rather what is still happening in our country evidenced by billboards, signs in tea-bagger rallies, talk radio, and bloggers. It's well worth taking time to read. Ignorance won't protect us.

3 comments:

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Very chilling story, Rain. Nothing really changes that much regarding human behavior, I guess.

Dixon Webb said...

Rain . . . I read the story about President Kennedy, the Birthers, and Congressman Gohmert. Then I read the letter that followed. Both letters tied extremism to the problems of that day, and made it easy to draw a parallel to our problems right now. Hate and bigotry and predjudice apparently will always be among us - and we need to be alert to render it impotent. The political arena has especially gone bananas. The rhetoric is often mean spirited and vicious. The old days of dueling may come next? I think we came close in the McCarthy era and if some semblance of reasonable debate doesn't return, it could happen again.

I don't agree much at all with the Obama Administration. There is no doubt about that in my blog posts. At the same time I conciously try to keep my criticism and pithy comments relatively mild. There are times when it takes more will power than I possess, and for that I am sorry.

I didn't agree with the Kennedys either, but managed to maintain at least a little respect for them and their offices.

I can and generally will do the same for the Obama crowd.

Ohhh. It's tough sometimes.

robin andrea said...

I am so glad you posted this, rain. I hadn't read a single remembrance of the day until I read this. Things really don't change that much, do they? A rather disheartening realization.