Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, May 07, 2009

Brida

What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
William Blake


Through the years I have read many books with spiritual themes. Many have been non-fiction but some of my favorites are fiction where the story is a vehicle to illustrate and teach spiritual messages. Celestine Prophecy is a prime example but there are many others. One of my favorites is The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo which I had written about [here].

Although I knew he had written many other books, the one I had wanted to find was Brida, his third book, which addressed a subject of interest to me-- soul mates as a part of finding life purpose. When the paperback version showed up at Costco, I bought it and then let it wait for the right time for reading. That came this spring.

Coelho's writing, influenced by mystical experiences in his own life, is a mix of Christian teaching and magic. He uses many traditions to express ideas he clearly believes are important. His stories are simple ones which convey what is needed to leave the reader an enjoyable reading experience as well as ideas to consider.

Brida's basic story is that of a young woman who is seeking to learn magic and looks for teachers to help her find the way. First she finds The Magus, a man living as a spiritual hermit, who for reasons he does not tell her, agrees to help her learn the Traditions of the Sun. This experience proves too challenging to Brida, and she turns to another teacher, one she has found through books, Wicca, who teaches the Tradition of the Moon.

Each of these traditions has a reason for being and draws to it those who are ready for the truths they will learn and hopefully incorporate into their lives. Brida's experiences wend through both traditions, the rituals, and her own life experiences. When she comes to terms with her past lives, she will find her current purpose.

As an example of Coelho's writing, the insights he teaches, here is a passage I particularly liked:

"Right now while we're here eating, ninety-nine percent of the people on this planet are, in their own way, struggling with that very question. Why are we here? Many think they've found the answer in religion or in materialism. Others despair and spend their lives and their money trying to grasp the meaning of it all. A few let the question go unanswered and live for the moment, regardless of the results of the consequences.

"Only the brave and those who understand the Traditions of the Sun and the Moon are aware that the only possible answer to the question is I DON'T KNOW.

"This might at first seem frightening, leaving us terribly vulnerable in our dealings with the world, with the things of the world, and with our own sense of our existence. Once we've got over that initial fear, however, we gradually become accustomed to the only possible solution: to follow our dreams. Having the courage to take the steps we always wanted to take is the only way of showing we trust in God."

I will definitely reread Brida and think again on the paths which Coehlo describes. For me, at this point in my life, there is much to consider. For instance, there is his concept of what a soul mate is, why it matters, how it will impact our lives to find that person. It might not be what you expect. Despite all my reading on the topic, there were some new thoughts for me.

When I read Brida again, I will do so with a highlighter but that will not be for awhile. It will be when it comes back to my mind and the time is right. The likelihood then is that I will see things in it that didn't register with me this time. It is that kind of book.

9 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I don't know how the quotiation from "Brida" will stand up. The part about there being no answer to why we are here brings the necessary conclusion that we must make our own reason for being here. Then it follows that to make your own passionate reason for being one need only dream and then follow your own dream. Some people are dreamers and some are not. There must be a reason out there to include non-dreamers.
I am sorry, I just dont' buy the idea.
I guess I am far from ready to read "Brida" even though I consider myself a dreamer.

Rain Trueax said...

So let'e see then, Parapluie. The solution would be to follow someone else's dream? Say a collective religious one or maybe the family one we were taught? If we don't know for sure what life is about, can't prove it even if we do know for sure, short of finding our own dream and following it, what is the answer you would suggest?

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

My family considers me to be a dreamer. But having your head in the clouds may not be the same as having an idea of what you are about and going to do in your life. I just don't have an answer right now on what we should do. And I am not sure what a soul mate would do for helping you know yourself. At first the relation may be friendship but later the friendship could evolve.
I have the hunch that finding a soul mate means you have a dream.

Rain Trueax said...

We have a romantic definition of soul mate that has corrupted the meaning. If you use instead the metaphysical meaning which is other half of you, something I have written before, then it makes total sense that finding that person might be part of finding your totality. If they turned out to be your child, which is certainly possible, would you better understand how it won't always be romantic or sexual? It's a shame that the meaning of it has been lost to romantic movies or fairy tales.

The meaning of dreaming as he is using it is not fantasizing but having the idea in your head of who you see yourself as being and taking the steps to live that life. It could be little dreams or big ones.

Say someone dreams of being a movie star. That's impractical for most people but if you look deeper for what is you are wanting if you got that dream, was it fame and money, might be wrong dream; but was it playing a part and being an actor, interpreting characters, then it can be lived out in small theater.

The point of Brida is to be looking more deeply into ourselves for what we secretly want to be doing. The answer for her came from past lives and something she had done before and was meant to do again. She felt a driving urge to find that thing.

I would go farther with Brida's path but some might choose to read the book and it's better to find the answers in it rather than a review.

Rain Trueax said...

Further, you could know exactly who your soul mate was but not be meant to be part of their life at all in this particular lifetime. That's the point of Brida. Is it meant to be or just something to find and go on to your life purpose? I had never heard before that finding your soul mate (sometimes called twin soul) was part of a search for life purpose. It was one of the things that Brida gave me to chew on.

Rain Trueax said...

I am filling up my own comments here but one further thing in Brida that I had never heard before was how you will know that soul mate. I won't put it here because it's part of the book but it was another thing I had never heard elsewhere so not sure from what tradition that comes.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

If I should meet my soul mate I am under the simplistic notion that there would be instant recognition on some level. I would feel the magnetism.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I'm going to put this book on my library list. Thanks, Rain.

Ishrath said...

I am yet to read Brida and will try to do that soon.

Soul mates: I cant settle down with the thought that life's purpose is tied to finding them. Even if you do find that person, life still goes on... like it always did.

But yes, that big question still remains unanswered - why are we here?