Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, May 25, 2009

A break

Despite it being a most inconvenient time for taking a break, it was scheduled with reservations for a house and a much anticipated vacation with our friends, Parapluie and Fisherman; so Monday through Thursday, I will be gone from the farm.

The situation with the calf is iffy, but she is finally following her mother out of the barn. Now is the mother feeding her adequately? We can hope. At this point, whatever happens happens. You cannot raise livestock for as many years as we have and not know that sometimes you lose these battles. At this point, we have done all we can.

So we will go, enjoy the beach and time with long-term friends, and hope that it will do okay while we are gone. It's hard to leave, but it would do no good for us to stay either. Farm Boss gave the calf treatment for scours (not unusual in newborn calves under stress). I am hoping for the best.

Since I am not likely to be online while at the beach (house does not have internet), comment moderation will slow down posting of comments but I feel I have to leave it there. Sometimes trolls coming through post some pretty ugly things when I write something political (and while I am gone I have one political blog pre-published). While I like alternative views, I don't want nasty, insulting or crude ones. Mostly I have been lucky that the majority of those who comment here, agree or disagree, have stuck to the issues and explained why they believe what they do. Those are the kind of comments I like to read and always will authorize. It is good for us to hear the other side of areas we may have made up our minds but not considered everything.

If I get to a cyber cafe, I'll check in to authorize comments but otherwise, the 28th, I'll be back and post them then. Please do comment if you are so moved as they always add to the blogging process-- well generally do...

Also, because I know some artists read this blog, check out this link: [Can Artists Save the World?]

Parapluie has been talking about this exact same thing for the last year-- the application of her art to political and cultural problems. The writer of the article asks for such artists to send her their stories with the hoped for result a movement for change leading to beauty and thoughtfulness to counteract so much of the ugliness that often gets more attention than it should.

To go along with that theme of beauty--

Although we have had a lot of farm problems, there was still time to get out into some nature areas for a little hiking. These are all photos from earlier in May on a nature trail in the Oregon Coast Range.
They show a bit of what it is like in a deep Pacific Northwest woods.
This year spring has seemed a long time coming. Ahead lies my favorite season. As always, it is worth the wait.

The insects have had a long wait also. Do they mind as much as we do?

3 comments:

Darlene said...

Lovely pics.

Enjoy your time with your good friends and come back with more wonderful photos for us to enjoy.

Kay Dennison said...

I love the photos. And I hope yu have a wonderful, safe trip.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Hope you are nestled safely with your friends in your rental house. Sure hope the calf gets the herd mentality, but like you say, you do what you can.

Have a great trip.