Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, December 28, 2008

My 65th Christmas

For me, there is something about holidays that seems to be like living markers for how they click off time. It occurred to me this year that I have celebrated 65 Christmases. How the heck could that be? 65 once seemed very very old and now here I am, and I am not sure what it seems like.

I don't remember the time from 1944 (except maybe in my subconscious), but it looks like I was really into the idea of opening presents. I have gone from that one year old being me, to the 65 year old, Christmas afternoon, walking up the road above the farm. One was opening the gift of life and the other, well, in the winter of her life, she still is.

In between were a lot of holiday dinners, a lot of changes, a lot of people who have come and gone through my holidays. That is as amazing to me as realizing I really have had so many Christmases.

Since I turned 60, I have said I am old. I knew it chronologically was true; but although I would say it, I didn't really feel it. Saying it was a way to prepare myself for what was inevitably coming, to acknowledge the changes. I could still visibly hide my age. My grandson asked me why my hair was gray. I said it's because I am old and added that I could dye my hair. I did not tell him but I knew I could also have surgeries to temporarily at least take away sags and wrinkles; but it wouldn't change anything real to do that. This body and brain will still be 65 years old, donning masks or not.

For me, this is not a melancholy awareness, but more about change. I find it more interesting than depressing. Day by day it's not so noticeable, except in little things, until I see another year has gone by through markers like Christmas, New Years, birthdays, and I look to see the changes in my face, know the differences in my body, and realize more is coming-- choose it or not.

Some tell me aging is in the mind. I would like them to show me one person where this proved to be true-- except in fiction. We might age at different rates, but we all do age. There is something about being old that makes people tend to think they should deny it.

People say things like-- I am young at heart. That doesn't make sense. We say someone is an old soul, recognizing something deeper in them; and then turn around and not realize an old person might have more heart awareness than a child. Does innocence necessarily disappear with age? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say I am old at heart? There is a beauty in age that we deny when we deny being old.

When we are old, as we have experienced loss, as we have seen the value of life, as we have seen so many changes, only when we know we will be leaving it sooner than later, only then can we really appreciate all that is and has been. The days are more precious when there are less of them ahead and we can remember all the good ones behind. What a treasure I have from all those Christmases that changed so much and left behind me, for now, to remember them. Yes, it's easy to get teary but in a positive way.


Isn't aging a bit like going through a gate? I suppose there isn't just one gateway but a series of them as life shifts and changes. It is, however, the road to the final gateway-- the one where we leave life.

I think about life's beginning and end especially at Christmas when I remember the ones who have already gone through the last gate. Again, it's not so much to be sad but more to just be aware and make the most of the days we have. Live each stage of life fully for what it is instead of denying it.

Since I always love to photograph gates, these are two new ones from this last week's snowfall. The first (at the back) open and the last (by the house) yet to be opened.

14 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I think your observations are important, Rain. I will definitely be mulling them over.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
I like the idea of Old Soul as being a positive label as opposed to Young at Heart. Only I can't let go of approving some aspects of "Young at Heart" meaning a flexible point of view open to change and learning and joyous emotions. I am not as clear about what it is to be an "Old Soul". "Old Soul" means being wise from experience. Learning by making all experiences good experiences! Maybe some acceptance of being humane! Maybe patience! Could it be that at all ages from age one to 101 plus, we all have a part of our personality that is "Old Soul" and a part that is "Young at Heart"? Anyway, to put it in a few words, "Being Young at Heart" does not always mean denying age.

robin andrea said...

I love what you have written here, rain. Your perceptions ring so true to me. It is interesting to consider the difference between an old soul and someone who is young at heart. I've always felt the former and never the latter.

The gates are beautiful.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

There was old King Cole - a merry old soul.

Sylvia K said...

Love your post and it says so well what I think many of us feel, think about, reflect on. Most of the time I'm quite happy with who I am these days, but there are those times when I find myself cussing under my breath about the wobbly memory some days, the new list of aches and pains with each year. Still, in spite of occasional tears and hurts -- physical and mental and emotional, I more frequently feel such a wealth of life, a rich fullness that sometimes almost overwhelms me and I realize how blessed I am in so very many ways. Good friends are certainly among those and I'm happy to count you among those. Hopefully, in this new year, sometime, we will finally be able to meet!

Rain Trueax said...

I am not sure what age young at heart is supposed to be about. There is no potentially crueler time in school than grade school, and high school isn't a lot better for how people treat each other with those who are less attractive or different often having a very difficult time. Could it be young at heart, as a positive, is referring to sexual energy? *s* But even there, do kids really show better judgment than those with some age? It's a phrase i have heard often but not sure what it really means. Youth often isn't a very flexible time at all as they can be very set in their ways and only with some experience open themselves to new ideas. Not to say kids aren't great. I love my grandkids but they aren't role models for me-- yet anyway *s*

On old soul, I think refers to people who seem born with a deeper set of values, who see beyond the superficial in a way that makes those around them think this all began way too young to be anything but an old and experiences soul who could access that set of feelings to use in a new lifetime. An old soul would be one you could trust and know they would get insights to help you when you needed it. It could be a joyful soul but wouldn't be one who took that joy in abusing or mistreating others-- at any age. At least that is my take on it. Anybody have a different one?

Rain Trueax said...

Old soul would not have to refer to reincarnation but could be a soul who has been through much in this lifetime and grown into a stronger person for it thereby having that pain and set of experiences to draw upon and again helping others through it. It would be someone who used what they had lived and wasn't just going through it but was incorporating it if that makes sense.

Linda said...

Rain,
This is a beautiful post with much for us to think about. I'm glad I read it.

Anonymous said...

Rain you are a beautiful 65 year old woman,but then I have always felt that way about you...Have a Happy New Year !!

Darlene said...

I refer to myself as "young at heart" because I think it means the opposite of "set in your ways". I am part of the modern world and I hope that my attitudes are evolving and not rigid. I try to remain open to new ideas and find joy in new things.

Perhaps we all have different perceptions of the meaning of words and phrases. To me, an old soul, is just that; one who has lived long.

Anonymous said...

It's about time we dropped by. So often we have read your positive comments on other sites, but now know your delightful posts! Peace MandT & Bodhi Dog

Mary Lou said...

Old Soul to me is one who has been reincarnated many times, and all of the wisdom of the previous lives lives on in this one. A young soul is one who has not experienced as much in former lives. THey are still carefree and child-like. LIKE ME!!!!! :)

Dick said...

I still think there is a difference between getting older and being old, at least in the way it is usually referred to. Getting older happens at all ages as we live another day and doesn't stop until you die. I think the way being old is usually thought of is when one has really slowed down, may be feeble, has difficulties moving around or doing the normal things of life that he/she used to do without thinking about it. It can also be a form of giving up mentally, not trying to participate in the life that is all around us.

I don't mind my getting older but I hope that I never "get old," at least as I've defined it here.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I also love to photograph gates and doors. Have you read or listened to Angeles Arrien's "The Second Half of Life: Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom?" I really, really like this book.

Thinking of you.