Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Even the Buddha looks cold

It looks like the farm will stay cold with some potential for rain but then snow again through the week-end. This is not good news as in this part of Oregon, we are used to snow that lasts a day at the most. Camelot, what went wrong? I can't blame it on global climate change as I remember many winters like this growing up and even when I had small children. Just it had changed, and we have been spoiled.

When it's like this, there are certain obvious opportunities (if you don't have to drive to the doctor, go to work, feed livestock, or get supplies). You can stay inside and just enjoy the beauty. Look out the window. Make quick forays into it, knocking off the snow as you return. Take a nap. Create a painting. Go for a walk. Photograph it. Build a bigger fire in the fireplace. Put out more birdseed and watch (photograph) the birds. Whine along with other Northwesterners about how terrible this is (yes, we know other parts of the country have this kind of condition every year). Fill some buckets of water just in case the power goes out (if you don't have a well, you won't know why we do this but think about it a bit).

This has been an excellent packing snow which would be good for snowball fights (I stopped doing those the year I got hit too hard by one of Farm Boss's missiles. He didn't understand that you do this for fun, not kills), make a great snowman/woman; but I kind of like the look of untouched snow (except where we, cats, birds, and sheep have been making trails through it).

I did though make a snow angel. In recent years we haven't had enough snow to make this possible. It's simple to do if you are one of the few who have never done it. You fall back in the snow, lying flat out (nearly a foot of snow is required to not injure yourself if you are not a child who is more used to falling flat out), move your arms up and down to create wings, rise up without disturbing the creation (hopefully), and evaluate how it came out. This year I added a new complication, try to photograph it. I had to wait for some sunlight to get the highlights to show up.In the garden, not as idols but as reminders of spiritual concepts, I have a small Buddha, Kwan Yin, and Aphrodite (inspired by the painting The Birth of Venus). They serve, year round, through all seasons, as reminders of various spiritual traits that I desire in my life. Simplified, they would be contemplation, kindness, and passion. I am not quite to the age for Snow White's dwarfs or little deer, and possibly past the age for flamingos. I'll start worrying if I want gnomes...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rain, you are such a beautiful woman!!

Kay Dennison said...

Love the photos -- you look fabulous!!!!

I haven't done a snow angel since I lived in my old apartment and talked my neighbor, Richard, into going out to play. We built a snowman, made snow angels and had a great snowball fight. (Richard throws more like a girl than I do! LOL) Then we had hot chocolate laced with Bailey's. Yum.

robin andrea said...

It does look cold and sparkly there. You do know how to get out there and enjoy it, looking beautiful as ever.

Sylvia K said...

What fun! haven't done that in a lot of years! Great pictures! Our snow is almost gone, it's still cold though. They're predicting more but who knows????

Joy Des Jardins said...

Brrrr..it looks so cold, but really beautiful Rain. I just love your snow angel...and you look perfect in that setting. We just got some pretty great snow here yesterday too, but somehow it doesn't look as wonderful as yours. We sure do have the midwest cold though.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFUL Pictures, Rain....That amount of snow and "Packable", too....And you look SOOOO very Happy standing there in the snow.....A Snow Goddess, one might say.....
As I have gotten older I like certain "symbols" that are hard for me to explain to others, and almost nobody I know asks me about them...They just accept that I have them....I have two Angels sitting out on my Deck.....They not only look pretty but they give me a feeling of comfort....So, I understand you wanting and needing things around you that give you something on a spiritual level....And by the way, Gnomes sound good to me, too...!

Linda said...

Enjoyed your tour. Here in Hillsboro, I've stayed toasty warm inside all day watching the snow fall.

Ugich Konitari said...

Rain, It is so enjoyable reading blogs about winter, snow, and how people get on with their lives and leisure. In a sweltering 36 degrees C Mumbai, your post was like a blast of icy air, cooling the senses (if not the body....sweat sweat...). And yes, I didnt know about the snow angel. (I was a grad student in the US in 1969 when i first saw snow on a trip to the Grand Canyon. I reacted by lying down on it (to the vast amusement of all those around me), but I wish I knew about the flapping of the arms ....!)

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Yes, you are such a beautiful woman, I agree. At my age, if I fell backwards into the snow to make an angel, someone would have to give me a pull up, or I'd have to roll over on my knees and pull myself up clumsily up, thus spoiling the image. You don't seem like the gnome type to me, but I'll admit that flamingos are really back in a campy kind of So Cal way.

Everything looks so beautiful.

Ingineer66 said...

Love the photos, Rain. It is nice to see you staying young at heart.

Mary Lou said...

It is even STILL snowing here! we have about 10 inches! and more this weekend! I would love to get out and play in it, but I am afraid I will fall, and really do my back in. It is so PRETTY looking across the water towards Pt. TOwnsend and the Olymic Mtns. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow when it is sposed to clear up.