Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Me and We Conflict

When I reach the last days of a year, for me, it has significance. It's not meaningful seasonally as that is about Solstices and equinoxes. It's just an artificial calendar devised by man; but we can use a time (arbitrary or otherwise) to stop and take stock. It is the time I often revise my goals for the year to come. I don't call them goals so much as intentions. Who do I want to be? What do I want to do? What actions will help me be the woman I want?

This year, I've been thinking of something else: how do these goals apply to me and we? It can be a basic, political and philosophical difference that goes beyond families or cultures to religions where some believe we each face god's judgment alone while others believe we are reincarnated as soul fragments and how we treat our brother might end up part of a next lifetime in a lot more real way than a reincarnation of the whole soul. Culture or individual?

In our two main political parties, there is also a different way of seeing me and we. How many times have we heard Republicans say you can manage your money better than the collective we through government. How effectively, you will build bridges, airports, highways, schools, railroads, power grids, has been shown through the last eight years when none of that was done and we are facing a deteriorating system.

Right wingers like Rush Limbaugh have pushed an agenda of me as a way to build their own power bases. They say-- as I make me strong, everyone else will be too. If this doesn't work out to be true, it's the other guy's fault for weakening individuals. To those who think this way, only through individuals does power come.

The opposing party's claims can be just as misused when it becomes somebody else can do it for me and I don't have to do anything but wait. We then means somebody else. Where we working together is strong, me either only thinking about me or waiting for someone else to fix something, is damaging.

So I cannot ignore my personal goals, but also must think what 'we' goals are important to support. Theoretically I might convince myself I don't have to do any of that because someone else will. I could take care of my own little community, my own family, my own impact zone, the areas where I receive praise for what I do; but is that enough? It seems to me we have seen how well that works when we are uninvolved on the larger scale. Can each little community stand alone or must each concern itself also with the broader community?

Okay an example of how I see this applied is in the recent imbroglio of Obama choosing Rick Warren to give the invocation at the inauguration. This isn't going away any time soon and how important is it to me? Where does it impact we?

To start, Warren has some good qualities. He has put 90% of his income back into good works, and it's not just evangelizing but actually working on things like poverty and disease. He even gets it that there are global climate questions, and that the environment is a spiritual responsibility.

Christopher Hitchens expressed his reservations at the invitation based on the fundamentalist angle, which Warren pretty clearly is. Warren has stated Jews won't get into heaven. Most christianists would also say that admittance is only through accepting Jesus which lets out anybody but themselves. That's no surprise nor is it news.

Warren's worst quality to those who supported Obama is a biggie, and it's the reason for the brouhaha. He has the christianist view of homosexuality. He has taken some parts of the Bible, as many others have along with him, and equated it with meaning all homosexuality is forbidden, sinful and must be fought against by penalties that, if no longer criminal, are still punishment oriented.

Warren and people like him are as bigoted about the homosexual as at one time similar types were about racial differences. They all ignore nature and use the Bible like a hammer based on their own interpretation of its verses. Warren has gone so far as to compare gays with those having sex with beasts or children (he has recently taken that text out of his site but it was there). It's not surprising that homosexuals are feeling as though Obama just slapped them in the face.

It would be possible to be neutral on this if it doesn't impact me individually. I mean I am not a gay; so should I care? Why I do and should is the we that impacts us all. It is why those, who see it differently than I do, also care. I wrote quite a bit on this earlier, during the campaign, because I have looked at these scriptures that christianists are using and I see there is another way to interpret them-- a way that to me makes more sense.

[This is for those who use the Bible as gospel and can be skipped by anyone who doesn't believe they must do something based on a preacher's interpretation of it. I am going to skip over the Old Testament. If you are living your life based on it, you aren't reading my blog anyway.

Instead take a quick look at Romans 1:22-32 (you can find it online if you do not have a home Bible). If you look at it without prejudice and without an assumption as to what it has to mean, you will see that what Romans is talking about are people doing a lot of very bad things-- greed, malice, murder, strife, deceit, and the list goes on. This isn't about same sex people who are living a quality life together as couples. This is about rank promiscuity and the opposite of what gays are fighting to attain.

I believe there will come a day when that scripture will be re-evaluated by even people like Rick Warren. It already has by many ministers to see that what most homosexuals want is the very opposite of what this scripture is talking about.

This penalizing 'we' are trying to deny people ordinary lives, the respect and legal rights of society at large. And why has this happened? Because little 'me' has the idea that it either threatens him/her or makes them more righteous somehow.

What has gone on where it comes to homosexuals is crazy. If you know homosexual couples, you know how crazy it is. I believe it will be seen as as crazy someday as it now is to deny blacks and whites intermarriage based on misinterpretations of other scriptures. In my opinion, the christianist interpretation of the scriptures is ignorant and wrong.]


Before Obama's debate with him, about all I knew about Rick Warren was he'd written a best-selling book, The Purpose-Filled Life, which I didn't like when I scanned over a bit of it.

President-Elect Obama is a young man who has looked for meaning in his life and found it through Christianity. He has not appeared to me to be a christianist but that is yet to be seen for sure. He has sought out various spiritual mentors. Rev. Wright, was another who preached alienation in some ways but also had a message of good works. Obama's talking about his Christian faith has never been a plus where I am concerned. I understand that his belief is bound to impact some choices-- like the Warren one-- or maybe he knows something about Warren that the rest of us will learn.

After I wrote most of this, I saw a column by Frank Rich in Sunday's New York Times criticizing Obama for the choice; and one by Melissa Etheridge saying the choice is now ours and let's see where this goes with a totally different slant.

This applies to we/me thinking because we are impacted by unfairness to anyone. Denying homosexuals the right to adopt children, as Arkansas just did, or to have legal marriages or unions as we recently saw with Florida and California but many states like Oregon earlier, to me, that's been flat out wrong. Unfairness hurts all of us.

Obama may have made a mistake in inviting Warren or maybe his invitation will lead to Warren looking again at those scriptures; but it will be what Obama does next that matters most. He now has the power to work to right some big wrongs. It will be the good for all of us if he does. If he doesn't, then I think we all have to stand with our gay brothers and sisters against this unfairness and make it politically untenable to treat one group of people as inferiors. If it has profited some to take on a christianist view of marriage, then we need to see it stops profiting them.

That was just one example of how me/we works. I am not leaving behind my 'me' concerns as I make goals for 2009 that reflect things taking me closer to being who I want to be; but I also am not going to forget the we issues that matter to our culture as a whole, that will impact the world in which my grandchildren grow up. The election is over, but the real work has just begun. Concerns can't just be about what benefits me but what is good for us. When we think that way, that's when we will see real change and it will benefit me/we as it happens.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warren is a human being with human imperfections. Who doesn't have them ? I believe that it is more positive to try to find a common ground rather than pursue selfish interests. And a pox on people like Rush Limbaugh !!

Kay Dennison said...

Great post!!!!!!! I think what you've said here is important.

Ingineer66 said...

This is kind of fun to watch for me. Not because of the issue because I do not have a problem with gay marriage and strict Christianists scare me. But because Obama has not changed his view, he has always been against gay marriage, but the media including Ellen danced (literally) around the issue while lambasting McCain for his similar stance.
I love to watch how things that were important now no longer are such as Obama smoking. It used to be the single worst activity in the history of the world for many people on the left. And now it is no big deal, he gets a pass.
Next thing you know, Obama will say he is really pro life. Now that would be fun to watch the media and the left have a coronary on that one. But he would still get a pass on it. It is not going to happen, but it would be fun to watch.

Rain Trueax said...

The government should stay out of defining marriage and call them all CIVIL UNIONS and make it equal. Then let the churches that see this as wrong call theirs marriage but when it's a government contract for a couple to form a family and have certain rights, it's wrong for the government to define it to suit a narrow religious group. Obama favors civil unions.

As for the media, the less time one watches them, the better. They are enough to drive you crazy. I have not heard what Ellen has said about Rick Warren but I put in the link what Melissa Etheridge said.

I will give Obama time but I won't do what the Republicans did which was favor Bush and defend him no matter what he did until he had totally ruined our country financially and ethically. I expect Obama to live up to what he has said. He's inheriting one hell of a mess, but I want to see baby steps and if I don't see them, I'll speak out. I don't expect miracles. I never saw him as a miracle worker. But Republicans have a lot of responsibility for defending and voting for Bush for 8 years. I don't want that guilt on my shoulders about Obama. He does well or in two years, it will start to reflect in Congressional votes. I hope Democrats have more ethics.

Speaking of that, it looks like some Republicans think that the RNC guy who gave out the Puff the magic Dragon parody on Obama improved his odds on winning. So if that proves to be true, it means Republicans have officially become the party of bigotry? Getting a few token blacks to go along with them? If that is so, the republican conservatives such as you better look for a new party to build up.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain, our orientation of thinking "we" is the most significant change for not just any new year but also the beginning of a new administration. We all need to think of "we". And that is what Obama does and will do. He says his personal view is against having gay marriage but he goes on to say that as president he will put his personal views aside to represent the constitution and everyone. I remember him saying that the gay marriage issue is a state issue, if I am correct. The Christian fundamentalists want to make it Federal Law. He will listen to what the people say. I have seen videos of Obama's instruction to fundamentalists. He was teaching them that they must learn to express their views in terms that will verbalize their views with the thinking that will communicate so they can work in our constitutional government. In my opinion when the fundamentalists knowing they will be heard will try to verbalize. Two benefits will come from fundamentalists bieng more verbal addressing everyone. They will not need to terrorize us and they will start thinking more clearly with not just their mind but their hearts. the process will change them to think of "we". So it is up to us to communicate and start a dialog among all citizens. When the United States is ready for recognizing and accepting everyones true needs, we will all gain.

Darlene said...

No man is an island and 'we' thinking is essential. You have raised an important issue and I believe that communication with those who we disagree with is the only way for understanding. Perhaps, by pointing out the error in rigid thinking we can change a few minds. We must never stop trying.

Ingineer66 said...

I would love to be a part of a new conservative party. One that is fiscally conservative and socially moderate. A party that is more like libertarians when it comes to personal rights.

Greybeard said...

So many of us TRIED to point out how Obama was an untried unknown, but that was ignored.
You're right, he's not a "Christianist", possibly because his formative years were spent in Indonesia in a Muslim school registered as a Muslim. (No, I don't think he's a Muslim, or at least I hope he isn't one of those "sleepers" we hear are in our midst.)

My son is a homosexual. He's a better person and citizen than most. He lives his life successfully without making a bunch of waves and noise that make things difficult for others around him. He also is a good student of history and has the ability to see what has, and HAS NOT worked in the past.
Would that so many others had the wisdom he has picked up in his short 25 years.

It's obvious you don't listen to Rush Limbaugh much. Yes, he thinks we as individuals should do as much as possible for ourselves. But he doesn't deny there are certain tasks government alone can accomplish. He just points out that when you allow government to do them, you end up with folks like William Jefferson, Chris Dodd, and Barney Franks mucking things up with corruption.
Dealt with your Department of Motor Vehicles lately? Did you enjoy that experience?

You have a good heart Rain. I hope I am wrong on how the next four years will turn out. But I too am a pretty good student of history, sociology, geography, and economics...
Insanity is continuing down a failed path, expecting a different result.

We've taken the exit marked "Failed Path >".

Rain Trueax said...

Graybeard, I listened to Rush Limbaugh from the year big Bush got elected until sometime after little bush and when Limbaugh became a waterboy for Cheney (who I think heavily flattered him to get that). The last time I heard him was February on my way to Tucson in an auto radio. I think he has times he says good things but his being sucked in by what Cheney created made me unable to listen to him regularly for a long, long time-- something I used to enjoy even when I disagreed.

What Bush has created with Cheney's help or vice-versa is such a mess that it's hard to imagine an amateur would be worst. What I see so far with Obama is fine (not thrilled with his economic team), but I also plan to watch him, something I wish more Republicans had done with Bush. What they let happen in these last 8 years is nothing less than disastrous.

The other thing that cost McCain the election was choosing Palin, someone just like Bush and not that unlikely to have ended up president. We didn't get the McCain of 2000 running this time and that person he chose as possibly president cooked his goose (in country lingo) with a lot of people who might've thought otherwise without her on the ticket. Who he got voting for him anyway were always going to. All she created as a nasty atmosphere that we still are living with.

btw, nice to see you here. I always enjoy getting alternative perspectives in comments (and your peanut butter cookie recipe was excellent) :)

Greybeard said...

Ha.
I'm amazed by lefty's failure to realize the only reason much of the conservative vote (ie. mine) ended up with Johnny Mc was because of Sarah.
Palin Derangement Syndrome?
Keep your blinders on, please.

Who controls the purse-strings in our government, Rain?
Who, for the last two years has made things much, MUCH worse in our economy?
What price are they now paying for being such corrupt idiots?

It's truly time for change.
Rezko and Emmanuel's buddy Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi ain't it.
Fail!

Greybeard said...

Oh, and Rain...
You do realize where the "Barack the magic Negro" deal originated, don't you?
It WAS NOT with Rush Limbaugh, or with the RNC!

Rain Trueax said...

Yes, Al Sharpton said it when he wanted some black more in tune with his own thinking (or under his control) and wanted Hillary to get the nomination. I have heard the Paul Shanklin discussion of where it came from. When it stayed in Limbaugh's program, it didn't get any of this attention. It's when a RNC candidate sent it around and why do you suppose he did that? Just cuz he agreed with Sharpton? No bigotry in those good old boys is there?

As for Palin, anybody who wanted her for president wasn't paying any attention to her lack of ability, education, experience and only cared about a few catch phrases. You can think that being a failed mayor who left her town deeply in debt and a two year governor was more than Obama but Obama won his nomination. She got handed hers. We'll see how she does when she starts running on her own. I am not sure a lot of people realized her stand on issues because she only gave canned speeches that catered to hate. Her speech at the convention was a prime example.

I doubt you'd have voted for Obama; so all you'd have done is not voted if she hadn't been there. I think McCain could have drawn a lot of moderates had he not had a christianist extremist on his ticket.

As for fail, pay attention to where we are. Democrats didn't get us here. It's all Bush and the last two years didn't do it. Whether Obama can fix it or anybody could is a good question but Palin was sure not able to do it. Look again at how Alaska runs things with a huge corporate oil tax which the rest of the country pays and is currently disappearing as the oil profits go down. She will have her own problems with even staying governor. If someone doesn't believe in creationism, wants reasonable controls on abortion but not a total ban, believes in a government not run by the Bible, is sick of the ignorance of Bushites, wants the constitution to have meaning, then Sarah Palin would have little appeal other than physical beauty. McCain had appeal to moderates, but he lost a lot of it in trying to cater to the far right. Yes, there are extremist religious types who will always vote for her but a lot who were fiscal conservatives will find with time that it was all talk on her end-- like the bridge to nowhere.

Greybeard said...

"As for fail, pay attention to where we are. Democrats didn't get us here. It's all Bush and the last two years didn't do it."
Nah, of course not.

Rain Trueax said...

I knew you'd see it my way *s*

Actually I don't have much respect for any political party right now. I am hoping for the best; but they all rolled over when they should have stood up.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Remember that Martin Buber book "I and Thou?" Your post has made me think, as always. I'm really going to look more at Adell Shay's Plan B.

Happy new year to you, farm boss and family.