Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Black and White-- Les Deux

We tend to think of black as being dark, forbidding, negative, bad moods; while white is pure, daylight, goodness, and positive. Since all color is part of a whole as all of life is made up of both the positive and negative, neither black nor white are actually good or bad. Both serve a purpose; but perhaps the meanings have come because of the things that can happen under cover of darkness. Still today, traditionally, people wear black at funerals and white at weddings-- usually.

The saying goes that it is as clear as day and night or as black and white. Except today what is black or white does not seem clear at all where it comes to many things. A Christian is a bringer of light to some and a taker of it to others. To some Obama is seen as black as a race and for the fear they feel at what will happen if he gets into the White House. Others see McCain as white by race and their hearts feel equally darkened at the thought he might actually gain the power of the White House.

So how can that which is supposed to be so clear seem totally unclear?

Many of us would like to think of life as shades of gray, as is the monochrome photo above; but it doesn't work that way most of the time. Life forces choices, and one rules out the other. Side with black or side with white. Most want to be on the side of good but which is that?

Some say they won't vote this time because they refuse to decide which is black or white. Or they will vote none of the above. In the end, those who are willing to make a choice will decide who runs the country and those who won't make one, will be ruled by the others.

The thing that has been getting to me is how can we see something so obvious so differently? Something happens and of course, I think, everybody will see it as I do, but they don't. Has it always been this way or is the dilemma growing? An example of what I mean follows.

When John McCain delightedly and proudly ran an ad comparing Obama (who is black) to two beautiful blond women (who are white) with the surface message being fame with no purpose, why did he choose those two girls? Certainly they are not respected today because of flaunting their nude bodies, doing bizarre things, having many lovers, little education, but that can't be the comparison as since when is Obama any of those things? How can McCain run an ad criticizing Obama for being a celebrity since he's been one ever since he came back from Vietnam, since he ran (and still runs) on being a celebrity, a famous war hero.

So, wasn't the real reason for that ad because there was another message beneath the surface? White women-- black man. Ads did the same thing to Harold Ford when he ran for the Senate in Tennessee. It worked and might be working again. Subtle as a lead balloon to someone who sees black and white as I do.. and equally the opposite to someone who sees it the other way.

When Obama reacted to what he knew had been the intent, the McCain camp was ready. Obama played the race card-- How dispicable of him!

So let's see, if he didn't react, the subliminal message went through to those susceptible to it (it does anyway). If he did, they could accuse him of being the one to insert race-- as if race isn't already a factor given whites who say they won't vote for a black and blacks who say that's why they will vote. You couldn't keep race out of this campaign even if you wanted, but running that ad subliminally put it front and center. The McCain people knew it and knew also they could deny any intent. Whichever way Obama went, they were ready.

I don't remotely believe McCain himself is a racist, but I do believe, he's proven he will do anything to win. He showed it again as he said oh so very sadly that yes, he was sorry to say but that is Obama played the race card. Sometimes I wonder what happens to him inside as he says these things. Does he know how he's sold out? Did George Bush?

If these recent ads (the Moses one, humorous as it is, is equally subliminal in depicting Obama as an antichrist figure to anyone who knows Scriptures and those people are exactly who McCain needs to win) are not proof that Rovians run the McCain campaign, I don't know what is. Unless you see black and white the opposite of how I do.

Call me naive, but it seems strange to me. How can we not see truth and goodness as the same thing? How can what is black or white not be clear? But it apparently is not.

So black and white... and I am using Les Deux not only because they are two but because I have another blog coming on black and white-- this time photography.

7 comments:

Harold/AQ said...

I have no idea. I've talked with my boss at length about the issues America faces and we seem to agree on almost every single one, and at the end she says. "That's why I have to vote for McCain," and I'm gobsmacked.

Sylvia K said...

How true and believe me, I know about black and white. You always say everything so beautifully!
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

My humanity says more about me than my color does. I had my DNA done about a year ago and found out that I am ethnically Eurasian. Now that was a shock for me-I always thought that I was Caucasian.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I so agree Rain. I don't understand this dilemma either and I never have. And I'm not sure that it not worse these days because of that all important factor: RACE! It is as you said a Big Factor in this Election. Anyone who pretens that it is not or that it has no place in the discussion is part and parcel of what is wrong. There is no question in my mind that THAT Ad has a subliminal message, and in fact, ALL the McCain Ads do. I find it despicible beyond words, ain that sense it is Racism, plain and simple. UGH!

Kay Dennison said...

Racism is not dead nor will it ever be. And it works both ways. No, it isn't right but I'll be damned if I know how to fix it.

joared said...

There is a lot of gray in life, but ultimately we do come down to having to make choices. Interesting thoughts you express here. No explaining the logic of some people's thinking, but they may well be saying the same thing about me. Crazy world!

Darlene said...

It has always been a mystery to me how two people who agree on most things can see something in such a diametrically opposite way.

I think a study was done on this subject and there seems to be a chemical found in the brain of conservative people that is either stronger or weaker than that found in liberal thinking people. Sorry that I didn't keep the information and that my brain does not retain facts very well any more.

I wish I could document this, but the entire liberal/conservative way of thinking might just be due to chemistry.