Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, January 07, 2007

A time to dream dreams

Winter, with its long nights, is a good time for dreams-- if we want them and make some effort to remember them as we first wake. I think for dreams to become vivid takes practice and openness to them. Dreams are enjoyable as a simple experience, but they can also be our angels, spirit guides or inner self's method of talking to our waking self. It is like so many things in life-- we can take the same event at many levels. Look for meaning in life, and you find it everywhere.

Several days before Christmas I dreamed I looked out my window and three coyotes were chasing my sheep. Nobody else could help the sheep in time; so I climbed out the bedroom window in bare feet to scare off the coyotes.

In looking for possible meanings to this very vivid and detailed dream, I went to the dream dictionary. I dream every night, don't always remember them and don't bother to look most up as they are about daily living and seem obvious why I dreamed them. The dreams I seek to explore further are strong and have something about them that isn't normal. I dismissed both coyotes and sheep for having significance. Coyotes yodeled close to the house earlier that evening and I raise sheep. I was less sure whether the window mattered. While it's true I look out it frequently to check the sheep, I don't jump out of it.

So window, bare feet and three coyotes were the elements I went looking for in my favorite online dream dictionary. I have written about this before, but it bears repeating when assessing dreams. If the symbol is apparent to you in your life, you don't need any extra guides. Maybe snakes always symbolize something for you that no dream dictionary could know. But if a dream has things that aren't typical, then a good dream dictionary can provide some clues as to what your subconscious might be saying.

To dream you are looking out a window signifies your outlook on life, your point of view, intuition. To see your own feet in a dream symbolizes your foundation, stability and sense of understanding. It represents mobility, independence and freedom. Barefoot can represent you have a firm grasp and good understanding of the situation. (Incidentally feet are holy in India so could add a divine quality to the meaning of them in some dreams.)

Finally three signifies life, vitality, inner strength, completion, imagination, energy and self-exploration. Three also is a trilogy representing past, present, future or father, mother, child, etc. Where these three were threatening things I love and have responsibility for, they might yet have a meaning the dream dictionary didn't cover.

Although I am using one of my photos of a coyote (from Yellowstone National Park) to illustrate this dream, the significant part of going out that window was the risk to my bare feet. I take it to be a message to me in my personal life. Whoever gifts me with dreams, whether my subconscious or outside spiritual aide, I took the message to be encouraging that I am doing some risk taking and to trust it. Don't be afraid to take the risk, don't try to control the situation. You can trust yourself. Go out the window, don't go protected. Just go. You just need significant motivation and you will go!

Coyotes by the way are not generally dangerous to humans (unless rabid). I would do what I did in the dream to protect those sheep-- although since guns are handy near that window, I can't imagine going unarmed-- or barefoot. Yes, I could scare them off but more effective would be to shoot them!

These last weeks have been fruitful for my dreaming. Some have been scary (marauding bears, violent people), some enjoyable (good times with friends and family), some clearly out of my day, and many have had encouraging meanings when I stop to think on them-- a few warnings.

Next blog I will share a dream that I haven't been able to interpret for my personal life, but it was a interesting one with some 'different' symbols.

14 comments:

Ron Southern said...

With a little luck, I might dream of you tonight. After your advice, I wouldn't have to be afraid even if you brought the coyotes with you!

Come see me at The Rat Squeaks some day! Some days I'm a bad dream, other days not.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Magnificent. Inspires me to pay more attention to my dreams.

Anonymous said...

In Jungian work--and SoulCollage, the totem animals or what I call power animals, play such a big role. I'm sure you have your own animal totem sites, but here is one I like: http://www.animaltotem.com/

Also, I rarely use dream dictionaries but certainly did for a long time. I really like Jeremy Taylor's way of working with dreams--another Jungian.

Anonymous said...

My old Lama in India used to say that dreams have their place but that living has more of a place. The point is dreams may or may not have meaning whereas life is right here in front of us and we have to attach meaning to it for it to be bearable.

Anonymous said...

I dream often, and remember most of my dreams, but have never really wondered about hidden meanings. My dreams are usually pleasant, or silly ones. I especially love it when I dream about people who have died - it's like getting to visit with them all over again!

Ingineer66 said...

OK looking for your expert dreamolgist opinion here. A couple of nights ago I had a very vivid dream that I was flying a helicopter on some sort of sightseeing flight but it was the lifeflight helicopter from the local hospitial where my ex wife is a nurse and my ex wife was helping me pilot it. We were flying over a local lake (where I regularly go boating) which also morphed into the ocean with huge mansions on the shore. There are no houses near the real lake but like I said it went back and forth from being the lake to the ocean. Then while the two of us are flying this thing (like she was operating the foot pedals and I was doing the hand levers) we are under a bunch of transmission power lines. These do run over a portion of the local lake but we were flying all through these wires and we couldnt seem to get away from them no matter what we did. It was like we were on the verge of a crash but we couldnt go under them or above them they were just everywhere. Anyway that is about when I woke up.
OK what the hell does this mean. The dream has not repeated and my guess at this point is that you are going to say it means that I am still connected to my ex. Not the answer I am looking for but probably somewhat true since we have been spending some time together since our daughter is in town visiting with her new baby.
There you go probably too much info, but thought I would throw it out there for your interpretation.

Rain Trueax said...

I am no psychic or dream expert, but the symbols I saw in this are ocean, lake, coast, mansions, traps and helicopter. I looked these all up and they seem to go together for what is going on. You and she are together maneuvering through whatever is to come next without either of you having total control. You are parents and grandparents; so whether you are ever together as a couple again, you are tied together for the good of your family.

It's interesting how all of the symbols do seem to mean the same thing for your emotions, your trying to maneuver through a situation while concerned over being trapped or entangled by it, being stuck back in a rut you don't want. I don't know that it so much provides you with an answer but suggests you are struggling with these things and how they will work out, it's hard to say but you are as you said still tied to the lady you had children with. That won't change and together you have to work through whatever is to come for your family or even your own relationship with each other. As you work through those entanglements, it might be a time will come when you rejoin as a couple or maybe it's that you will be friends for life. The main thing is paying attention to the state of your own emotions-- as I see it. and do what is best for you.
(Ocean-- To see an ocean in your dream, represents the state of your emotions and feelings. It is indicative of some spiritual refreshment, tranquility and renewal. To dream that you are traveling across the ocean, signifies new found freedom and independence. You are showing great courage. Lake --To see a lake in your dream, signifies your emotional state of mind. If the lake is clear and calm, then it symbolize your inner peace. If the lake is disturbed, then you may be going through some emotional turmoil. Coast-- To see the coast in your dream, suggests that you are on a spiritual quest. The coast symbolizes the meeting between your two states of mind - the rational and the irrational. Mansion-- To see a mansion in your dream, symbolizes your greatest potential and growth. You may feel that your current situation or relationship is in a rut.

Trap -- To dream that you are trapped or caught in a trap, suggests that you are feeling confined and restricted in your job, career, health, or a personal relationship. You may be in a rut or tired of the same daily monotony.

Helicopter -- To see a helicopter in your dream, represents your achievements. You are in full pursuit of your goals. To dream that you are in a helicopter, could mean you are living beyond your means (in this case emotionally). You need to slow down and don't try to please everyone. Alternatively, you may be experiencing a higher level of consciousness, new-found freedom and greater awareness.

Power Lines -- To see or become entangled in power lines, represents your struggle for power and empowerment. You are experiencing an obstacle toward your relationship.)

Rain Trueax said...

ron southern, I do have your blog bookmarked and have been reading it for awhile. :)

paul, i agree. Life is what matters but sometimes dream tell us what our waking mind is afraid to admit. Not to say that makes them superior but just another level of awareness.

thanks for all comments. I am aware of totem animals, Fran but in the case of the coyotes, I knew this wasn't the situation. Now if it'd been wolves.. but then with wolves, not sure I'd even dream of running out barefoot :)

Rain Trueax said...

sometimes, jackie, I dream of healing relationships that weren't healed by life. It is also fun to visit with those we no longer can see in the flesh.

robin andrea said...

I dreamed of a coyote Saturday night too. It was standing in the yard, next to the pond. I noticed our cat was in the yard at the same time the coyote noticed him. We both went for the cat, I to protect him, the coyote to eat. The coyote got there first, but stopped to look at me. I took off my shoes and threw them at him. He did not mind. He put our cat's tail in his mouth, and then let go. I woke up. The coyote was very blond-yellow. We were not afraid of each other.

Anonymous said...

OH, I'm SO jealous that you can remember your dreams so well. I always did too....until about 15 years ago and I have NO clue what caused them to disappear as they do.
I've tried everything...sleeping with lapis under my pillow, changing the position of the bed, etc. I dream every night and sometimes I can "pull" on it on first waking and still have a bit of the dream. Like last night...I dreamed of both my aunt and my mother. (both deceased) And it had something to do with "hands." But my dreams are so illusive, I can't even begin to intepret them.
Your meanings for your dream sounded very interesting. Any suggestions on HOLDING onto the dream when one wakes up?

Rain Trueax said...

I don't always remember mine but I always ask for dreams before I go to bed... Well not always. If I have been having dreams of marauding bears, I find a few nights of no dreams that I remember is fine.

What helps me most to remember the ones I do have is lie quietly when I first wake and concentrate on the last dream. If I can tell it to someone it holds better than if I don't talk about it. I don't have a dream journal alongside my bed but some say that helps also. The main thing is get those dreams into verbal form before they get lost as they are like a wisp for how quickly they can vanish. Then I think about whether there was anything unique in the dream that obviously didn't come out of my daily life.

Ingineer66 said...

Thanks Rain for your interpretation. I have been told by many people that writing your dreams down when you first wake up will help you remember them if it is something you want to remember. I rarely remember my dreams but often when I do they are incredibly vivid, almost like it was really happening. I have had double dreams on many occasions too when I dream that I wake up but really am still dreaming.

As for your analysis of my dream it is probably pretty accurate. I figured the ocean came from the fact that I just got back from the Mexican Riviera and was looking at Puerto Vallarta on Google Earth before and after my trip there.
As for being in a rut I am with work and my lack of female companionship. As for my ex we are definetly connected as we are still friends and probably always will be. We get along better now than when we were married.
And I do try to please everyone, but my new years resolution is to work towards living my own life to its fullest and not worrying so much about everyone else.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dreamer,
Dreams bring us messages.
The message is quite clear:
1- You raise sheep.
2- You heard coyotes "yodeling" nearby.
IF this were my dream, then I'd make sure that I had a coyote-proof fence around my property so I could sleep and dream without the threat and worry about coyotes grabbing my sheep.
many blessings,
DreamsCoaching.com