Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lady in the Water


For some time I wanted to see the movie, Lady in the Water. It sounded mystical and full of imagery which always appeals to me in anything. The film is based on a bedtime story that M. Night Shyamalan told his children. He wrote, produced, acted in, and directed Lady in the Water. He was the creative force beyond Sixth Sense and Signs among others.

An apartment manager, Paul Giamatti, finds a beautiful young woman, Bryce Dallas Howard, swimming in the apartment complex swimming pool. He gradually discovers why she is there and that he has a purpose to fulfill in helping her with her mission. The truths he discovers are not simple and he works hard to unravel the symbols. He, as well as the other characters, face danger that is very real even if something none of them would have imagined existed.

I am not sure why the film received so little critical approval. Possibly because it isn't standard fare, no particular religious message, and a bit confusing to follow; but that's purposeful as you are trying to do what the characters are-- discover what is happening.

The best part for me, besides the beauty of the imagery, was how all of the characters had a purpose. They may have been living seemingly meaningless lives, but they were where they were for possibly one moment that they would fulfill that purpose and change events for many others.

To me that explores a question most of us have faced at one time or another-- Do we matter? Is there a greater purpose to our existence; and even if we find it, can we fulfill it?

For these characters, it didn't matter if they believed in the supernatural, wanted to, or didn't, they were destined for something that had been invisible to them but then suddenly was right in front of them. It took all of them working together to solve the puzzle of what that might be, then step up to bat, and be counted.

Lady in the Water is an adult fairy tale with a deeper message. Coincidence and unseen forces are out there. They can be more significant than we can guess or maybe in some cases ever know. The message is-- be aware, be open and be ready. Opportunities are gained and lost. They don't always come twice.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

I think you've picked a great topic and, for the record, I too had been wanting to see Lady In the Water even though the critics seemed to think it wasn't really worth seeing. Another thing that they made quite clear in the movie is that once you believe you are right or doing the right thing something may show you that you aren't......yet and that you have to be open and accepting of that. I, myself, believe I could find that an extremely difficult thing to do at the best of times although it's certainly a good lesson! Do we have a purpose? I believe that we all do and that there are most likely many for each us, some we haven't realized we have filled yet.

Ingineer66 said...

"I found out what my special purpose is" to quote Steve Martin in the jerk. But seriously I think part of the reason this film didnt do so well at the box office was because it was marketed as a horror film and it really is not. I remember the previews at the theater. The Sacramento radio station that I sometimes listen to said it was a good film to see and was not scary as advertised.

P.S. I like Signs and the way the story was told. I know most people did not care for it.

Mary Lou said...

And I thought it WAS a Horror film, so I did not want to see it. I may have to rethink it now.

I just dont do scary movies, and steer far away from Stephen King-ish movies.

Anonymous said...

It's ironic that Lady in the Water was nominated by the Razzies as one of the worst pictures of the year today: Worst Picture
BASIC INSTINCT 2
BLOODRAYNE
LADY IN THE WATER
LITTLE MAN
WICKER MAN

I haven't seen it, but because you liked it and my tastes are a lot like yours, I will definitely rent it.

As for whether we come into life with a purpose, I vacillate on that topic. I guess my new thought self has come to believe over time that we choose how we will come into life and who our parents, family and companions will be. I got that from Edgar Cayce's teaching my dad teethed me on. As for the purpose part, I also believe in a bastardized version of reincarnation but I do believe that "karma" can be changed. I guess my gut level feeling has always been just to live the best life I can, attempting to make a small difference, and be prepared that my faith has been comforting--but everything I've believed might have been a myth. Does that make any sense?

Rain Trueax said...

That was a good addional thought, Sandy, and Fran, you and I are sisters under the skin with how we have come to believe. I live it as best I know, try to follow my own instincts (not the rules of the herd except where they are legal ones), but use a hopefully inner wisdom for what I should be doing-- what is okay for me. My ability to figure it out is limited and one of the perks of dying will be then we know :)

Critics also savaged Mothman Prophecies but I think a lot of films with 'spiritual' themes are not well understood or liked by the mainstream unless the message is a broadsidewith lots of action. Lady in the Water was subtle.

It does have a kind of scary element, Mary Lou, but no horror movie. More like the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or anything with something threatening that someone must fight to survive.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm so glad you blogged on this movie, Rain. Because I thought it was a "thriller" scary-type movie. Like Friday the 13th or something...and I don't care for those.
THIS one sounds terrific and I love what it's about. Needless to say, I'm adding it to my Netflix list.
I so believe that both people and events cross our paths for very specific reasons. Sometimes we understand why...many times we don't. Especially if we're not "listening." Most of our lessons come in the form of signs and so-called "coincidences." That word isn't in my vocabulary any more. I don't believe in coincidences.
As you can see...I must see this movie.