Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Celestine Prophecy

When I watched The Celestine Prophecy DVD, I knew I'd write about it. I thought it'd be easy. After all , years ago I read the book. I liked the movie for how it followed, illustrated and beautifully brought to life the book. In spite of those expectations, it hasn't proven easy to write about.

Part of my problem is I can't decide what to emphasize. The plot? well there isn't a unique plot. Characters? It's not about the characters. This movie falls under my second category of spiritual films-- those where story is only a vehicle for the ideas. The story isn't bad, but it's just not what most matters.

I am not sure in what year I first read the book, 'The Celestine Prophecies.' I had noticed the title as being a bestseller but hadn't decided to read it until it had been recommended by several people I respected. They said Celestine explains some principles they thought I would find valuable for my spiritual growth.

The story is a kind of parable which relates a man's journey in experiencing the insights as he joins with others who are attempting to save ancient scrolls which reveal these insights. There are those, secret forces and some in the church, who want to destroy the scrolls as it threatens their faith.

The film is beautifully filmed, adequately acted, and since the screenplay was written by Redfield, the insights unfold like in the book. If you have read the book and liked its message, I think you would like the movie.

So where is my problem? Well if you haven't read the book, I am trying to decide which of the insights would be most meaningful, most encourage you to give the DVD a chance.

The underlying premise of Celestine is that even though it might seem like it, nothing happens by coincidence and everything in our life has meaning if we are looking for it. Did a stranger say something unexpected? Did you have a dream that didn't seem to come out of your daily life? Have you recognized a certain event or feeling repeating itself? Do you feel a tingle when you read or hear something? These have come to encourage our awareness of life and its meaning. When we are aware not only will we act differently but even see differently.

The film, of course, does not hold all the answers. Actually nothing outside ourselves does, but, I believe, it is part of the package-- a good beginning if you haven't been exposed to such ideas before.

Some would say this film is New Age hocus-pocus, but it's really not contradictory to any religion. What it is about are things like meaningful coincidences, control dramas, seeing the energy surrounding every living thing, looking at our relationships for whether they are stealing or enhancing our energy (and likewise what are we doing for others), and the need to work together for making life a heaven here on earth. Maybe that's the threat. If life here was heavenly, there are those who think nobody would choose to know God. They are wrong but it could be that is the real fear.

8 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Hi,
The older I get the more I am sure there are connections beyond what we can readily see, hear, and feel. I guess I would enjoy "The Celestine Prophecy". Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED his book and also read his second one.
So, no doubt I'll love the movie. I'll have to add it to my Netflix list. By the way....just added Lady in the Water, based on your review of it.
AND....I finished The Alchemist yesterday. I thought it was an amazing book. I have it all highlighted. There's NO doubt I needed to read that book right NOW. Patience has never been my greatest virtue and based on Holly this week and answers from the vet....well, it was NO coincidence for me to read that book now.

Anonymous said...

I'm new blogger and am delighted to discover your blog. The 'Prophecy' is a good read though I haven't seen the film. My experience with much of the 'new age' offerings is that it doesn't matter if they are 'true' it only matters if they give people and access to another view and experience of what is possible. Serene Ambition is about the last day of our lives having as much possibility as the first. I don't have a mustache, but am pleased to make your acquaintence.

Anonymous said...

I read the book way back when, too, but I didn't even know it was out on DVD. I probably will rent it based on your review. The way you describe it reminds me of my take on What the Bleep and the Secret. I found both film's message to be what reinforced my own beliefs, not the actors--or the experts.

Mary Lou said...

Gosh Rain, Another one I havent read or seen. I must get my head out of the mind candy detective novels I read every night and read something really worthwhile. My mind-candy is so much fun though!

Rain Trueax said...

Well, I never would have read Celestine if someone had not told me about it. I also didn't know the movie had even been made until someone told me. It did not receive wide cirucation but I have now seen the DVD quite a few places.

and I think we all need some mind candy in our lives and that will be whatever works for us to relax and not have to think much.

Rain Trueax said...

And welcome, Serene Ambition. I appreciate all of you who comment on any of the things I write-- agree or disagree. It adds a lot to my own enjoyment to read the comments of others.

Ishrath said...

I loved the book. But I have'nt had the chance to see the movie. There are very few books that hit you right there... and this is one of them. Im not surprised that this book is still the best seller and sales are going up by the day.

Thanks for writing this post and sharing your thoughts. It is only this way we get to know about people who like similar things. Keep writing. I intend to follow your blog more often.

Take care!