Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 17, 2007

January's lessons in patience

This is getting old. Much as I enjoy the beauty of snow and realize I am lucky there has (as of yet) been no power outage, enough is enough. We in the Pacific Northwest are a bit of wimps about snowy weather. Yesterday morning the freezing rain turned to snow and finally back to ordinary rain and definitely the last cold spell I hope to see for the year. Optomistic? Maybe a little. Definitely impatient with the wintery weather and eager for a change.

There isn't a lot to do outside right now. For the cows, hay is put out in thousand pound round bales, some flakes of alfalfa go out to the sheep. Chopping ice is unusual for this area, but I did some this morning.

The sheep had come by, licking at the thick, solid ice in the watering tub, eating snow, and I thought poor things. I headed out with the smaller of the axes-- not too impressed by their need when I saw there were puddles in the driveway if they had truly been thirsty.

The ice wasn't hard to chop through, maybe 3" thick. I threw some warmer water on top and kind of pecked my way patiently through the rest. If it had been likely the cold would last, I'd have had to pick these chunks out, but it won't, and the ice was pretty like this-- mini ice bergs.

The patient Buddha didn't mind the snow and I didn't mind one more shot of the garden in winter .

The birds congregate and expect their feeders to stay full. It's fun to watch them squabble, jockey for position and knock the seed out for the ones patiently waiting below.

Finally there is this last photo of the youngest cat sitting on the windowsill, somewhat, kind of patiently looking out, making that low clucking sound cats make when they see a bird-- the I-want-that-so-bad sound.

He is a little like me right now-- nose pressed against the glass, whichever side of the window I am on, always wanting to be on the other side.

7 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

Here in Juneau the city has an ordinance that we can't put out birdfeeders until the bears hibernate -- bears love birdseed and we need to not attract them into town. Lots of feeders out now. Lots of lovely, white snow. Lots of fender benders.

Your photos are lovely.

Sandy said...

Rain, I hear you! I too live in the Pacific northwest, just a little furhter north ;) I agree, the time for snow is gone, we aren't used to it nor the ice or cooler temps. Love your pictures and I hope your wish for warmer temperatures comes true.

Ingineer66 said...

Excellent descriptive writing. I know you guys have had plenty but we have not had nearly enough snow in the mountains yet. Just very cold and dry weather. I havent even been skiing yet because almost every storm goes around us.

robin andrea said...

Our snow is almost gone. This morning was the first in more than a week when the temps were above freezing. I think the warmer weather is on the way. Your photos are beautiful, rain. I love the shot of the Varied Thrush. Such a pretty bird.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Just a brush of snow here on the ground Rain...not snowman worthy; but I won't complain. We've had pretty cold temps the last few days. Love your pics...again. I know what you mean...enough, really is enough.

Anonymous said...

AND once again, you make me ever so happy to be living in Florida in the winter....lol
Growing up with the Boston winters soured me on ice, snow and cold forever, I guess.
Wishing you warmer days....or at least the ice melting....lol

Mary Lou said...

LOL I posted about MY varied thrush today!

They are such shy birds, and I only see them about this time of year. All of our snow is gone, but the ice is stilll around. I think we are going to get even MORE winter weather!