Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, January 21, 2007

Star Wars

Because I try to keep this blog positive for the most part, there is a lot I read which I don't write about. I have had this feeling we are getting enough negative news; and if I write only about that, the blog won't help anybody-- including me. But this was such a powerful column by Jane Smiley that I really feel anybody who remotely still supports George Bush should read her character analysis of him. She is a great writer of novels but also an astute political commentator.

I also read Frank Rich this morning in the NY Times. He alone is worth paying for the subscription. I have been told some of his columns see the light of day other places; so, if you don't subsribe, keep your eyes open for the one written January 21. Not only was his piece powerful on what has happened and is happening in Iraq, but he had tons of links for those who doubt what he's saying.

As I thought on all of this, I remembered the impact, watching Star Wars IV, V, and VI in sequence for the last three nights, had on me. The use of the Force was an important truth (The Secret way back then) ,but the more important point was that when we allow anger or fear to control us, the Darkside wins. Whether we are on the good side, as Luke was, or the bad side, if we let fear or anger dominate us, we will end up on the Darkside.

So when we read our newspaper articles, when we listen to our friends or family members who still support what we see as nearly a madman, we have to do it with the power from the good, not the power of the bad-- fear and anger.

Frankly the far right manipulate to get either one; and if you believe the philosophy from Star Wars, they don't care much which. First choice is fear, but if that doesn't work, anger incapacitates our ability to really win. Yes, it's important for us to know what's going on but not if it lets the twin bad guys dominate us. They are more dangerous to our chance of genuine change than Bush or his ilk ever will be.

If you are feeling down right about now, I highly recommend digging out your old copies of Star Wars or heading down to the video store, then settling in for a movie-a-thon. I don't think I had seen them since they originally came out which made them almost new to me. (The only possible negative was realizing the first one came out in 1977. Harrison Ford is about my age. He looked so young and so must I have. How did 30 years go so fast?)

5 comments:

Ron Southern said...

I've seen Star Wars so many times that I don't need to rush out for a reminder. Whew! I've also read Tolkien's Trilogy 5 or 6 times, so I'm clearly a person of some extremes. But your article was fine. Thanks.

Ingineer66 said...

Wow I really liked your post until I got to the part about Harrison Ford. You are right how did 30 years go by so fast. That is a bit depressing. Sort of on a similar note, my daughter watched Breakfast at Tiffanys today on TCM. Audry Hepburn was a total babe. She could fit right in with any of todays starlets and be better looking than most in my opinion.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I remember being inspired by Star Wars when I was doing tie dye and batiks. To truly relaize the message, I need to view them again. Thanks for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

Good suggestion to rewatch Star Wars. I own most of them, but haven't seen the last one.

Jane Smiley's article is chilling, but I have a gut-level feeling she is writing a profile that may be very accurate. I have long thought, however, that Little Bush is merely the mouth of the machine. Ah, Bush the senior, Bush the junior--things that tragedies are written about. In the meantime, day at a time as I observe, as I sure as heck don't know what to do to be part of the solution except to wait it out.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love Frank Rich and I get that Times Select thingy on the net which is not horribly expensive and all the good stuff in the NYTIMES is available to you, plus it is less expensive than having the paper delivered....I use to have a subscription, years ago, but I gave it up because it became too expensive...

I'm sure no one will believe this but I've never seen any of the Star War movies....! Maybe someday...! Thanks for the heads up on that column, by the way. And you are so right about the "Madman" comment....HELP US AND SAVE US!