Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, August 24, 2009

The Art of Aging

I really love books about using art to express what is meaningful in a life. One famous example of this was Frida Kahlo, who basically captured her emotions in very picturesque paintings. There are many lesser known artists who painted their experiences as a way of dealing with their lives.

The following video shows how two artists, husband and wife, Richard and Alice Matzkin, used their creativity to express where they were in their lives. Their paintings evolved into a book.

This video on their philosophy, The Art of Aging particularly was enjoyable to me. I found it on a site for elder women called Crones Net which is a private site but open to elder women (or those soon to be elders) through its creator, Marian Van Eyk McCain, who also has published books on the subject of growing old. If you are interested in more information on Crones Net, you will find it at: About Elder Women Space.

7 comments:

Paul said...

To age gracefully, be like a river and seek the path of least resistance .

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

To age gracefully, take yourself lightly and maintain a sense of humor.
I am very taken by the Richard and Alice Matzkin artistic relationship and their resulting body of work.

robin andrea said...

What beautiful art they have created in the celebration of aging. Richard's work is incredibly evocative and touching, and I'm wondering if that's because it is not softened by the warmth of colors like Alice's paintings. Truly stunning works.

Darlene said...

I am so impressed by this beautiful couple and their art.

Rain, I hope you have sent a link of this video to Ronni Bennett. I am sure she would appreciate it.

mandt said...

Wonderful post!

Judith Zausner said...

Thank you for this terrific piece about Richard and Alice who share the power, beauty and creativity inherent in aging. I will link to this in an upcoming Creativity Matters blog to spread the message to others.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I look forward to watching this video when I've got a little more time. I was determined, however, to read you and a few of my other favorite bloggers tonight. I've been neglecting blog walking, just preoccupied.