Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, February 10, 2008

Gender Expectations

Because of the last little test and our current presidential election, I have done some thinking about gender. The culture in which we grow up, the parents we had, what we watch on television or in a movie, what religion we practice, all are factors in what we expect as women or men. Certainly biology plays a role, but sometimes, even in a farm herd, it's hard to separate nature from nurture.

When my daughter was a little girl, she liked me to play Barbie dolls with her, but she would become insulted when I'd have my Barbie be a truck driver or some other equally inappropriate, to her 10-year old mind, profession. When she grew to be a woman, being an archaeologist, my daughter did things that were dangerous and made her mother shudder when she would hear, but throughout her life she had learned to not limit her choices based on her gender alone.

A few years ago in Tucson, I had a friend walk around my home and say it all looked so masculine. I didn't take offense and did know what she meant-- strong, intense colors, sculptures of men larger than sculptures of women, art that was of the West or strong abstract designs, nothing frilly and nothing pink. I didn't decorate it that way because I was putting down women anymore than I played with my daughter as I did because I wanted her to be manly. It's because of not limiting oneself by expectations of anything except what suits the individual; and if that happens to be pink and frills, go for it-- man or woman.

There are obvious biological and hormonal differences between men and women. Until hormones kick in, all babies look much the same regardless of sex, but at a certain age, the differences become apparent-- no matter what a parent tried to create.

I grew up in a generation where women had certain roles and expectations. My mother, although she was a stay-at-home mom, was also a woman who pulled on her boots and helped a ewe birth her lambs, helped run a dairy, was as apt to spade up a garden as my father. I saw the gender differences but also that they didn't have to be the limitations some would have us think. Mom did have more expectations that she pushed onto me (due to the era) than I pushed onto my daughter or son. It was a time where girls did one thing and boys another, but even then I could see some of that was not nature but rather nurture.

Many cultures encourage while others enforce roles for men and women, as tragically we are seeing now with Iraqi fundamentalists literally killing women who don't keep their hair covered or who chose the wrong color of scarf. Once again male dominance, using religion, is closing over women in Afghanistan.

To a much more limited extent, some of that kind of expectation is in my country also. It is impacting the current presidential race with women who say they are voting for a woman because she is a woman-- or men who say they are voting against her for the same reason. To me, either are equally wrong.

Some gender expectations don't work to our advantage-- a few add to the joy of life viva la difference. We just need to watch for which is which and not let ourselves be limited in ways that detract from a full life.

The photos here are a few gender photos from the farm. Commenters had asked how the calf was doing from Pasture Melodramas (she's doing great). Top picture is of her, after being fully treated, and her mama heading through the gate to the pasture where she and another little one (second photo), born at the same time, immediately hooked up again.

Calves can be as as close to each other as siblings-- spending more time together than with their mothers. In this case, one, a little bull, will be castr
ated and someday eaten while the heifer lives out her life as a cow producing more calves. Their fates are mostly determined by gender.

This last photo is of two of our rams. Is that 'testosterone' in the lead there or what? I mean he's so masculine that he illustrates everything about being macho.

That ram, nicknamed Gabby by my husband, lives out his life as leader of the flock, dominating the other males [until one gets stronger and takes over his position], and taking his pick of the females. I don't know how he learned to be as he is. I think it's got to be mostly nature but part nurture as sheep or cattle raised apart from herds have to be trained when they enter them as to correct behavior. (By the way in flocks, other than in breeding season, the males hang out together. If he can't find a bunch of rams to hang with, he prefers the cattle.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit to being a "girly girl." I love all things feminine and even my home decorating is Victorian.
However, I also feel no matter the gender, the sky's the limit and gender shouldn't enter into it.
I'm also annoyed with the Hillary comments. How anybody could vote for or against somebody based on gender beats me. But then....I'm still shaking my head at the last 2 elections, so what do I know?
You know were my vote is going and it has nothing to do with gender. Just common sense.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I am amused that your Tucson home is said to be masculine in decoration, particularily amused because some of my paintigns help to create the look of your ranch house. In 1967 the time period of your paintings, I was often complimented that I painted like a man. I didn't like that comment and reacted by going ahead and painting me as a mother with my children in warm colors.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

This was a very interesting and thought-provoking post, Rain, and I loved the parallel between genders in people and animals. My own home, when I was married, was pretty "masculine" because that was my husband's preference. You are not a woman who adapts to men's needs and wants, or so I have perceived anyway. My home now is very much me and my bedroom in particular is extremely feminine. I tried not to be gender biased with my kids, but I'm sure I was because that was how things were culturally at that time. The feminist movement and my over-reaction certainly didn't help my marriage stay strong, I can tell you.

As for voting, I would never vote for a candidate because of gender or ethnicity. I must admit that religion, however, does affect my decisions. I am very wary of fundamentalism in any religion.

Anonymous said...

You have opened several cans of worms here, Rain, and I'm not sure where to start, or even whether to start. But you know me -- I'll mumble something, even if I should be quiet.

First, in a truly equal society, gender should determine nothing beyond who has the babies and what you so carefully described as joy of life viva la difference. And the latter does not even apply to some percentage of the population who are more attracted to sameness.

Second, race and skin color should have nothing to do with anything. Period.

Unfortunately, our culture and a few others that are more advanced in this regard than are we, still have a long way to go to achieve that kind of equality. It may be impossible due to some genetic origins that cannot be totally ignored. But that should never be used as an excuse for not trying to move toward that goal.

Like it or not (I do NOT), a significant portion of our population is still heavily influenced by and will cast their votes based on gender and race. This is one of the ways we end up with bozos in public office -- people voting against someone for the wrong reasons rather than voring for someone for the right reasons.

Rain Trueax said...

Comments on this topic have given me a lot to think about. I hadn't thought of art as something where you could recognize masculine or feminine painters; so that's been something to chew on. Then when Fran said, "You are not a woman who adapts to men's needs and wants, or so I have perceived anyway." I had to think hmmmm do I adapt to my man's needs? I think that is what my 'psychic' friend in Tucson thought-- that I had sublimated my natural tendency to what my home would look like to suit a man. I didn't think so and still don't, but often our own motives are hard to unearth. I have a lot of female energy things in Tucson-- like religious icons and had more at that time than I do today. (I had some female Hopi Kachina type figures which now are up here). I think I had a lot of female energy in it but a different sort. There is the soft female side of women but there is another side that you see projected in goddesses that is anything but soft and perhaps it was more that which I had been feeling when I chose items for that house.

The other thing is that when two people live together, no matter what gender or preference, you do have to please each other with the environment. I think my home would look much like it does if I was single but who can be sure. Basically a shared home is an environment.

Anyway thought provoking comments from you all :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is interesting that in the Animal World you describe, the gender roles are not that differewnt than humans...If I understood this correctly...! I know we have come a long long way, in many respects, but in some ways we have barely moved from these Role Assignments....And in some ways, it is understandable..But not ALL ways! (lol)

Dick said...

I don't think that gender nor race will have any affect on how I vote although I recognize that they may for some people. As Fran says, I am more afraid of religious fundamentalists regardless of what stripe they carry on their backs. They are still extremists and that type of person is unable to live with others who do not see the world in the same colors as they do.

I AM upset with the way the political parties here have screwed up our voting rights in Washington State, doing away with the open primary. And the Democrats decision to allocate all of their votes from my state based on results from the caucuses, ignoring the primary vote, means that something less than 2% of the voters here will determine who this state supports in that party. I like the candidate they are supporting but think the process is flawed.

Rain Trueax said...

Yes, the herds do have gender differences that are not so different than ours and some animals are transgender. They don't spend time thinking what their preference is sexually. It is what it is.

What is really interesting is to see an animal not raised in a herd and how they are forced to learn to adapt if they then are brought into one. It is both nature and nurture.

Mary Lou said...

Interesting...I had always thought of you as a VERY feminine woman. Not knowing what your living space looks like, I could not judge from that. Just the way you write. I do not put mucking out stalls or herding cows and sheep in the mud and rain into a gender bracket. It needs to be done so you do it. I am the same way. I have NEVER asked someone to do something for me because it would be considered a MANS job. Just the opposite in fact. I drove a forklift, a truck, and ran a warehouse, all with my steeltoed shoes on and barrel curls in my updo, and makeup on. (I am paying for it now though....ouch)

Anonymous said...

It's also important to remember that "gender" has to do with social and cultural conditioning. If we're just talking about biological type, then it's "sex" we're referring to. Your bulls and cows get what they get because of their sex, not their gender. In fact, I'm not sure if animals have "gender" at all, or only biological sex. That goes into zoology, I suppose -- way beyond my field of knowledge. Most (not all) of us are born of one particular sex or another. Then we're acculturated to one "gender" role or another -- or not! Learning to see (and act, if necessary or desired) beyond our gender is a big part of what women's liberation was about, IMO.

Anonymous said...

It's also important to remember that "gender" has to do with social and cultural conditioning. If we're just talking about biological type, then it's "sex" we're referring to. Your bulls and cows get what they get because of their sex, not their gender. In fact, I'm not sure if animals have "gender" at all, or only biological sex. That goes into zoology, I suppose -- way beyond my field of knowledge. Most (not all) of us are born of one particular sex or another. Then we're acculturated to one "gender" role or another -- or not! Learning to see (and act, if necessary or desired) beyond our gender is a big part of what women's liberation was about, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

i definitely love all your posting way, very unique.
don't give up and also keep penning considering the fact that it just very well worth to look through it,
impatient to see alot more of your own content, have a good one ;)