Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, July 14, 2021

July 14th and what's been going on

After being out of Arizona since June 2nd, and living in a vacation trailer since then, I've learned a few things about such a life. One I mentioned, I think, that you become far more aware of the basics of life. In a sticks and brick home, or even a campground with full hookups, water, electricity, and dealing with garbage and waste, it's dealt with by someone else. We pay the garbage man to come by. We hook up a trailer or home to a system that carries away what is called the black and gray water. But if you aren't living that way, you have to deal with it.

For garbage, we are sacking it up and after we have enough (we use more than I thought), off we go to the dump where we pay varying fees to throw it into a hole prepared for it.

For the black water, we bought an item that looks like a suitcase. When we believe the trailer's tank is getting full, it is dumped into that. Because we are living on the farm, and my mother was living for many years in a mobile home there, the suitcase was taken over there to dump into the family septic tank. More work by far but it gets it safely disposed of. 

 

We bought  a trailer with more space in the living area but with a tiny bathroom and bedroom. It has little space to move around (nice shower but with a step down that requires watching out). We store towels in what they call the linen closet, which is in the hall outside the bathroom. I will add that in buying a trailer, be sure you walk through it. No really big person could get between the bedroom and bathroom in this rig. 

 

We appreciate having the space in the living area for both our desks, but not enough shelving and that's still on a list to add. I do not know how people who make it a full-time home manage-- many smaller than our 36' rig. We'll use it for I think maybe 4 months, and the cats and we will be glad to get back to the stick and bricks, but I also have enjoyed this experience and the cats have done better than I expected.

For electricity, we tried to hook up to the ranch home plugs, but they weren't enough and with the heat we had at the time, that was a problem for a/c. Ranch Boss had some experts come out, evaluate whether what he wanted to do was a good idea. When they didn't have time to do it, he bought what was needed, got on a ladder, and connected it to the shop and barn electric line, which gave us 50 amp service, what we'd have wanted in a park. Lately, the temps have been in the 80s, for which we use the Dometic in the ceiling as well as the portable unit that Ranch Boss bought in Bakersfield. One thing to know about extreme heat and trailers, the a/c units just can't keep ahead of it-- not enough to get down to the 70s. But, we do okay in the 80s due to our time in Arizona maybe.

Living in small quarters means disposing of anything not needed, and it's amazing how little is needed of what we easily have in stick and brick housing. 

For our time here, the internet is available from the house by wi-fi; but we can't use as much as we'd use back in Arizona as it's a shared system. Still, it's more than we expected. Since we have not tried to get television, our news comes from the internet as well as emails and connecting to friends on Facebook. We go light on how much we use it.

The biggest loss is no cell phones, which is tough for business and to talk to family or friends. We knew it'd be an issue. Putting in a landline to the trailer, where we won't be here long, is not economically sensible. But I had no idea how much we benefit from cell phones for so many things.   Ranch Boss  finally got wifi-calling working on his cell -- part time, my phone is too old. We can though connect with others with emails and texting-- for those who text.

But, here's the plus. From the trailer, I can watch the cattle, sheep, and then often the wild turkeys because the windows are big. It's different than living in the house, but it's satisfying enough for the length of time we'll be here for the work needed on the farm, things we want to leave in better shape than when we first left over a year ago before the pandemic hit and travel became impossible for a while. Vacation travel is back, so finding places can be a challenge. Still, this is an experience I am enjoying even with the problems.

My writing on my books is really sad and has been since the pandemic hit. I had started a book last January ,and it's had nothing added ever since. We also have done little marketing while out and that has killed sales. I hope they can come back someday lol For now, it's been the least sales we've seen since I began putting out books and advertising them. Yikes!



6 comments:

William said...

Rain, is this year going to be the only time you park your trailer at the ranch and live in it? If not, Ranch Boss should install a sewer hookup.

I'll never forget, during the first year using our trailer, the fellow RVer who answered my question about what he did with his waste water while staying for a month in a campground without a full-hookup: "I don't like dealing with the waste water twice". He did have a motorhome which made it a little easier to drive over to the dump station.

I live in a rural area without any close neighbors. So, I dug a large pit, put in two plastic dry wells, connected them with a pipe, and backfilled with drain rock surrounding them by about a foot. The dry wells act like a septic tank while the drain rock acts like a drain field. I put round irrigation shut-off boxes on top of the dry wells so I can watch the water levels. I can dump both full tanks at the same time (75 gallons).

Yes, this doesn't meet modern plumbing codes, but I think of it as our trailer's "outhouse". Before I went to all that work, I would just dump the tanks into a pit covered with a piece of plywood.

Way more sanitary than using a "blueboy"! And the waste water ends up in the same place as your septic tank effluent: the soil. I haven't had to remove the solids buildup, yet. The tops are removable, so when I have to, I'll just uncover them, open them up, and move the solids to the compost pile. Like mucking out the barn.




Rain Trueax said...

Good ideas, William. We might be here off and on but the goal is to refurbish my parents' mobile home and use it when we go to the farm. Most of the year we live in Arizona. We are new to this size of trailer as our previous one was supposed to be 26' but was closer to 30'. Mostly we had stayed in campgrounds without much boondocking. This has been a different experience. My husband is going to comment on the soil here when he gets back from some errands (this morning saving a calf from trying to swallow some plastic, which kills them).

Dick said...

The WiFi connection should work with most newer smart phones. If yours doesn't offer that it may be time to upgrade.

Rain Trueax said...

It's not as good for Ranch Boss' as it was when we had cell coverage, but it's workable. We are considering a new one for me but I use a phone so little that I hate spending the money. And mine wears out the battery so fast now that I wonder if that'd make another one worse for having only 4 hours when not plugged in. I do though miss calls to my family and friends.

Joared said...

Sounds like quite some challenges you've been having but glad it's working out. Enjoy your turkey photos and viewing the animals would be of interest.

Rain Trueax said...

It is enjoyable to watch the animals. The issues with the trailer go on though lol. Also I am trying to have a printer that can print photos economically and that's been another interesting challenge. All about life though and so much has shown me that this summer-- not as I planned.