Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, July 23, 2021

Computer sagas

 Yesterday, I posted this at Facebook but decided to share it here also as it might be a good warning for someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday was not a great day for me in terms of the computer lol. Yes, most days are good with it.
 
We had gone into the attic and retrieved the printer that I'd used at the farm house before we went south. For many months, it had been stashed where it can get quite hot.
Surprisingly, it worked right away except for one important feature-- to me. The photo tray wasn't recognized. I am one of those people who print off our photos, often of the grandkids for the refrigerator but also for albums or collages. 
 
It took Ranch Boss about four hours to research what might be needed due to Microsoft updates to this older printer, and then to get his and my computers functional with the photo tray. I was thrilled that I could get the quality of printing that it did, and with cheaper ink costs than the printer we had bought (think cheapest HP) for the trailer. So that printer went into the boot as we will need it back in Arizona since we didn't have two functional printers at Casa Espiritu. That was all good but stressful until it was done-- even though I only sit and watch, maybe kibbitz a bit now and again. 
 
So, he was off to fix a cutting chute and I was writing and reading newspaper articles-- right up until I got the dire warning-- Microsoft Support-- do not dare to shut off your computer as you have been compromised (or words to that effect). What they did was lock down my computer totally. I could not close the screen or get to my own folders. Frozen. Because I did not believe it was Microsoft or that the phone number they wanted me to call would take me to Microsoft, I took the only option I had. I shut down my computer telling it to restart... It took a long time, but it came back. 
 
All looked well, until I tried to go online and got that warning back... And again--total lock-down. Without my computer techie here, I had to either wait for him (for who knows how long) or do the other thing they said not to do-- a hard stop by pushing the button long enough to turn it all black. I did it, then waited a bit, put it back on and this time no message. Everything worked fine. 
 
If I had gone to that number, I suspect I'd have gotten a ransomware notice as they claimed they'd walk me through what it'd take to redeem my computer from the grasp of hackers (who clearly they were). 
 
That is why I mention it here. The notice looks very official. It's not. I should be more careful where I go for research as not all out there is safe. Good reminder to me. All is not what it seems. 
 
(Update on the printer-- it now makes a squeaky sound when printing from the photo tray. Its story may not be over...)

1 comment:

Joared said...

Glad you got rid of your ransom-seekers. FWIW that sounds like what I had on my MAC months ago, maybe even a year ago I wrote about then. Only there was absolutely no way to turn my computer off. I contacted by tech guru son. Son had some directions for me to follow to release my computer and rid me of the ransom-seekers. He knew of an in-law who had responded to the number thinking that's what he would have to do. My son helped the in-law get in touch with the in-laws bank before the money transferred so stopped it and freed the computer, too.