Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, March 12, 2021

more about nightshades than you ever wanted to know

by Rain Trueax

 

According to what I read about nightshades, 38% of Americans are in one way or another impacted by them. Some to a lesser degree and some, like me to a disabling one. If you are among the lesser, you might feel less yourself a day or two after eating say a tomato sauce or a baked potato. You likely wouldn't connect it to anything you ate as nightshades do not do their toxic work right after eating. It's a day or two later.

I have tried, since I learned a few years back, to avoid nightshades and didn't think it'd be that difficult. How hard is it to not eat an eggplant? I might feel like something was missed but considering the results, it's worth it. What I didn't know is in how much processed food nightshades are being used. Looking at what we routinely ate, like processed pickle relish-- guess what else is in it, green bell peppers. Spices are hidden under (some spices). The only safe way for me to eat is totally unprocessed and I have no idea if restaurants will ever work for me again. 

So my latest debacle from nightshades was after eating homemade fish tacos. We had them two nights in a row. One of the spices in them, had been in a third dinner.

I woke on  Saturday and worried something wasn't right but couldn't see how what I'd eaten could be the cause.

An hour or two later, I knew it was as I was very shaky, feeling weak, and nothing was possible to eat. Even trying to eat a saltine cracker led to throwing up. A few hours later, It got worse when I realized I couldn't get off the sofa without help. That led to checking blood sugar, another symptom of nightshade poisoning. I am not going on beyond that as frankly, who wants a list of what someone else has gone through. Fair to say, many of the symptoms listed under nightshade intolerance fit my next few days.

I'd not even write about this-- at all, except people need to be aware as many just don't feel well but have no idea why. If you get sick off and on but have not nailed a cause check this out.

 So, it was an unpleasant few days (putting it mildly) but then I realized it was going to cost me my second Moderna shot. They have a sheet you sign that asks if you've had an allergic reaction in the previous two days, but it's more than that. I still was not well. Now, with a very convenient shot set up for me, I knew I'd have to go on the hunt again. I cried because I wanted this done. Who knows when I can reschedule. When we cancelled this one, they said they did not know when they would get more vaccine. Later when my husband went to the site; they said none yet. Next time he went, it said slots filled. This is not going to be fun but hopefully will eventually get that second shot in time.

Did anything good come from this? One I can't stand to watch the TV-- nothing, nada, nil and that means no news. I think that's been a plus. I do though get news or did during my down time. My husband, whose desk and computer are in a room across from our bedroom, would read me the headlines. If we both felt they mattered, he'd go on to the text. It was fun and then we could talk about it. We continued that on after I was feeling better.

 Another, spending a lot of time lying on our bed, I found doing nothing, thinking nothing to be oddly soothing. I'd study the ceiling, look a the sculptures at the other end of the room, take delight in finally being able to walk more normally... kind of, and most of all loved watching the clouds move outside the window. 

 I have also learned no more processed foods of any sort. You'd be amazing at how many places our culture secrets nightshades including with those unnamed spices. That will limit eating out at restaurants, but I have not been one to eat out often either. It's just with the possibility of red pepper or paprika or potato starch in something, just checking for the major nightshades, isn't enough. 

Update March 13: After multiple online attempts, the right papers finally popped up with the ability to submit from the same clinic doing the shots last time and I have an appointment for Thursday :). Of course, since then I've read of people dying from the vaccine (very very few) but I don't care. I don't want to die, of course, but I believe in getting the vaccine for the overall good of the country. To me, it's worth the minuscule risk. It will also be good for me to feel more free to go out and not worry about spreading or getting a disease that proves deadly for too many. This is no time to take this disease for granted. 

5 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

If I had that kind of reaction to nightshades I don’t know what I would do, they make up a significant part of my diet. Here in Canada they are telling us we must put off our second shot for 4 months, they say there’s evidence that still works. I am sceptical of that but still, I think putting off the second dose for up to 2 months is probably okay, based on real life experience so far. Hope you are able to get yours in a timely manner. I don’t know when I’ll be allowed to get my first shot, could be months away :-(

Rain Trueax said...

It was hugely disappointing to me too as I love tomato sauces and most of the veggies listed. I could do without potatoes most easily of the rest, but it's so much a part of most meals that it's been difficult. The worst though was finding how many foods, I had taken for granted, like breakfast sausage. had some of the spices. At least I was old when I discovered it. I sure don't want to go through the misery of my last episode of toxicity from them-- even in tiny amounts. I'd never had anything like it even with my earlier bouts.

Greybeard said...

I thank you for the nightshade education.
But about Covid-19:
There's more and more information coming out that it may attack people with Vitamin D deficiencies. A year ago wife and I started taking supplements, including Zinc. I don't know if those things have protected us, but we've followed some of the other suggestions... hand washing and social distancing to a degree, and we've not had colds, flu, or WuFlu. I don't intend to get a vax.
I'm angry and heartsick about what has happened to our country. Old people, obese people, and those with serious co-morbidities needed to take extra precautions.
Anyone younger than about 50 with good health should have gone on with their normal lives.
What damage have we done to our really young kids?
What fatal damage have we done to our economy?
And why aren't we laying blame where it is due?

Rain Trueax said...

I am also sickened by what has happened to our country and it's hard to read a paper without feeling depressed and the people voted for it :(.

I also take zinc and Vit. D. My husband had a good friend down here; who he stopped receiving a reply to messages. They talked regularly on the phone. I checked the obits and to our shock, he had died. He was not yet 65, had been very careful but when they needed health workers in the house to help his aging mother, someone had it. My husband's friend died two weeks after getting it. His father, who also lived with them, two days before him. Talk about shocking. A strong person, doing it all right and yet... I want the vaccine to have more freedom to have overnight guests here, ones who are also vaccinated. When my husband got it, no symptoms on #2 except for a sore arm for a few days. I have no idea how it'll go for me but I want to be part of helping us get past this as some cannot do the vaccines for health reasons. I hope I will be fine after it *fingers crossed*

J said...

I have an acquaintance who has a horrible reaction to nightshades, though not as debilitating as yours. For her, it makes her joints swell up, which is incredibly painful. I’m so sorry that you have that allergy, nightshades are such a varied and delicious food group. If I felt like that after eating a bit of it, though, I’d sure as hell steer clear as well!

I have had both doses of the vaccine, and like your husband, my only reaction was a sore arm. I am grateful to have gotten it, and look forward to when my husband and daughter have it as well. My husband is very healthy, eats well, takes supplements, and exercises, but he has underlying genetic conditions that might make it difficult for him if he were to get sick. The idea that he should just stay home and try not come into contact with someone who might asymptomatically pass it on to him is crazy. I mean, that’s what we’ve all been doing for the past year, but we are very much looking forward to the day when we can go out to a movie again, and to see family without wearing masks...have a wedding or a funeral or a graduation...all of those things we have missed.