Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, November 07, 2020

a bit of this and that -- along with a video

 by Rain Trueax

 


With an election that seems to have stretched as long as the campaign, this has not been a fun week for much of anybody. Yes, we are finally in November, but it's looking kind of dire at least politically. However someone wanted the election to turn out, it  would not have been like this, but it is what it is-- as they say. To govern with such a divided nation and such a weak victory will be a challenge at the least. I am going to stay away from politics here as the election is finally over. What I will be caring about are cultural issues and hopefully writing fiction as I let go of the upset and move ahead with my own life-- something I wish for all of you.

My Facebook has those who claim that this is the End Times and the Rapture is about to happen to take them away from this planet to avoid the apocalypse that they believe is coming. They point to signs. I mostly snooze them as I don't need a month of that kind of thinking. Maybe they know that many generations, since the beginning, have claimed it's the End Times and hence those who came before also hoped they would not have to fix what had gone wrong but just have to wait-- sometimes on a hilltop-- to be saved.

Here's my thinking on that kind of prophecy. It is currently pushed by those who see a mandated vaccine might lead to no ability to buy or sell without the magic marker. There is a Biblical prophecy that speaks of that, but it could have been done any time by many governments. It doesn't take a magic vaccine requirement. 

Plus, if you follow those prophecies in the Bible, Old and New Testament, the Antichrist has to come first along with the Beast. Do you see anybody in a position to rule the known world as it stands, who is seen as a hero, and can then dictate laws at a whim? Some believed that was Hitler, Caesar, or many others before this. It was not and today there is no such figure; so back to the drawing boards to fix what is going wrong around the world as no easy escape-- yet anyway.

Religion offers so many answers but usually they don't turn out to be permanent for what happens on earth. Try fixing what we can for our culture without looking for a magic out. Too difficult? Well, waiting on a hilltop (figuratively today) isn't fixing anything. 

I am not saying people should not find comfort from a spiritual belief or a religion, just don't use it as a cop-out-- is my personal opinion.

It seems all I have for good photos are sunsets and they don't come every night. The ones here show a sky looking like it's on fire along with rain falling that never hits the earth. Kind of symbolic, dontchathink? *s* I only recently learned that that kind of rain is called Virga.

 

For our personal mental health, we have been able to sit out on the patio and watch the birds as the heat is getting to manageable levels. Wednesday, we watched a roadrunner, head back and forth under the feeders but not have any interest in the seed. He (or she) would once in a while leap into the air but as mere humans, we had no idea at the purpose of that. Fun to watch as all birdwatching is in times of human stress.

I didn't write in last Saturday's blog about Ronni Bennett dying as I didn't know she had chosen last Friday for her day to let go. She wrote Time Goes By and was someone many of us regularly read for ideas on aging, as she experienced it, and then about her getting a death sentence disease as she fought it and finally her experience with the process of dying. Fortunately for Ronni, Oregon has MAID (Medical Assistance in Dying) and she knew she had that to release herself from suffering. It's a good law and well thought out. She wrote about it in her blog; so I know more about it than I ever would have until my own time had come.

 

She had arranged for someone to be with her at the end as well as to take over her blog. That won't be easy but she had many fans, who will appreciate having a place to continue to share if it works out. Besides the notice of Ronni's passing, her friend left these words:

"I will leave you with knowing that she was ready. Just before she died, she said, 'When you get here, it is really nice. I am not afraid.'" – Autumn

Comforting words and how I am sure we all hope it will be when it's our turn-- as it inevitably will be sooner or later. 

Once in a while, I do a video chat type thing. I don't have a word for it but it's me talking about what's going on. I wish I was better at them as I enjoy seeing others talk as it makes this internet world seem more real. This one, I did about what i was planning-- not that there is much of a plan.  If you enjoy such, it lasts 6 minutes (zero politics) and really discusses nothing important. With us being in more or less isolation, not a lot happens that is exciting-- and that's a good thing given the alternatives :)

 

3 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Love your video chat. Warms my day that actually felt a little loanly because I couldn't share it with my late husband. I have a heavy heart and am trying to come up with what to say to friends who must be devestated by the outcome of the election. I would like to assure them that their stand and vote was important and will be heard by the next administration and will be considered in their decisions.
One change for me will be to buy more on line for the next forseeable future. I have my work still ahead to do in consern with the estate. Writing the obiturary is proving difficult. Probably will be calling on Farm boss in the morning to explain some of the work they did together at Hewlett Packard.
Once estate business is finished my painting will take off. I wonder if I can express my feelings on politics as I have a tradition of doing in the past.
Looks like we will be renting an Air Band B in Taft the week of September 19, 2020.

Rain Trueax said...

I think it's to be expected you'd have a hard time now as the shock of it all wears off and you go on to make a life after all those years of a sharing marriage. His illness could leave you with PTSD to deal with. I cannot imagine a more cruel disease :(.

A lot of us are experiencing loneliness with the virus still limiting activities. The election only added to it with some now delighted and can't resist gloating while others can't give up to the reality of the loss. It was bitterly contested and if Biden can join us together, I'll be surprised considering the reasons for the divide. I just hope he will do good things for the country and not be caught up in the divisions that could make it hard to govern even within his own party with such differences for what people want to do.

It will be good if you can discuss your ideas on mostly the culture as now that the election is hopefully behind us could we put partisanship aside and think what is best to do. What culturally do we want this country to look like? If the Dems actually end up with an even split for the Senate then Harris will have the deciding vote, which equivalently will mean it's Democrat. Whether that is good or bad depends on what you want to see happen culturally. I think a blog is a good place to discuss such ideas and differences regarding immigration, taxes, environment, trade, wars, etc. etc. I was thinking of writing next Saturday about how ranchers (like ourselves) see this based on what the Obama administration wanted to do-- assuming Biden is anything like Obama in those areas.

I think though your readers will also want to know how you are doing and that means the ups and the downs. It's something all long time couples will face eventually as mot don't both go at the same time.

Brig said...

Enjoyed your video chat. We think along the same lines.