Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, July 15, 2020

by Diane: Mini-art Respite from caregiving update # 7; In Home Caregiver Assistance First Week

Sunday, July 12,

This painting, a second of the same subject was like a commission.
Trying to please the reciitant is
easier if they have a second choice.
Tuesday, July 7 and Thursday, July 9 for four hours each day, a Home Instead caregiver helped us. She did house work, cooking, meal planning. Cleaning refrigerator, preparing meals ahead and a clean house was well done. These activities are beautiful but miss, I thought the main goal of engaging Fisherman Husband to become more active and stimulated.  Since the caregiver and her children fish, perhaps she could work with Fisherman Hubby on updating his book on fishing. The floppy disks and yellowed print out from almost forty years ago surely needs refreshing.
      I couldn't get, on first mention,  Fisherman Hubby enthusiasm.  But maybe after thinking about it, he would agree especially since I would work  on the art illustration.  If not the book maybe just simply a jigsaw puzzle would break the ice between them? Or maybe I should show off the old copy  of his fishing book and show how easily books like these can be published with a hard cover.

Friday, I called Home Instead to reschedule our Thursday, July 16, morning appointment. Then I learned that she gave her two week resignation because she has another job. All my instruction on the workings of our home and garden appeared to me to be a loss - an expensive one at $27.00 per hour. What will I have her do the next 16 hours?  Frank discussions, perhaps, on how I can improve the relationship between client and professional caregiver?  Change in my goals for the investment in having assistance.  Instead of of seeing their work as only a way to get fresh from the garden food preparade. Preparation is  difficult for me to do because of  a little arthritus in my hands.  I need to think of it as more than a way to have a little more time to paint. Thanks to the help I was able to paint a memory painting of Fisherman's older brother for a niece. I spen hours painting two - much more time than a mini-art respite.
     Now I see the business relationship of the caregiver as giving companionship to me as well as to Fisherman Hubby.

Sunday, July12 Fisherman Hubby was referred by his provider's on call nurse to the ER for assesment. On the bright side x-rays showed no bowl blockage. On the down side we have far too many visits to the urgent care and the ER.

 Monday I looked into Pallative Care. He does not qualify. we would need a Doctor's referral for Hospice Care which our insurance would cover.

Tuesday, Our Care giver dug potatoes and cut them for Hubby and grilled a  prime rib which was cut up small so he could eat it  with Au Jus.  For once I could sit down relaxed and eat my very different veggie and meat lunch at the same time as  Hubby was eating.  He ate  3 times as much as when I prepare a small , tiny portion. And he did not choke.
       Later we received an explanation of our benefits from our insurance and flearned they were not covering his breathing machine. Was put on hold several times. They will get back to us later in the week because the claim requires extensive research. While on hold I put the music on speaker phone and took a mini-art respite.

This small 14" x 11" painting is still on process
Maybe more telephone holds will  be just what I need.





2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

It might be worth talking to his doctor about Hospice prescription from what I've heard of the many ways they can help.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Hospice is on the agenda for our apointment tomorrow.