Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, April 11, 2020

moon thoughts

by Rain Trueax


April 6th and the setting of the Pink Moon

With my interest in full moons, I found two meanings for this moon. The first was that it's for the pink phlox and early bloomers. The second was it meant rebirth. Since Sunday is Easter, a time of resurrection for Christians, that's a good meaning. The time of rebirth. however, isn't always good. It means death first.

I have mentioned before that I am on Facebook. Currently, it's a good place for me. I like connecting with people there and sharing parts of my life. If someone asks an opinion type question, even on a topic I generally avoid, I will answer with my thoughts on it. BUT if it's peppered with insulting terms, if it's from someone I have considered a friend, I quit reading with the first of them and hide the post. If it's a 'friend' there that I don't know, I snooze them for a month and then unfollow if the nasty words are still there.

Some say they don't like coming to FB for the negativity. What I wrote above is a solution, which I need, as it's important for me right now as a place to connect with those I have gotten to know, where I am interested in how they are doing. The only way I can continue there is to get rid of what upsets me. Maybe it's my generation or how I was raised to be polite, but insulting words don't work for me even if I agree with them-- and once in a while, I might...

I have a thought on the virus, which I will share... read it or not as it works for you. 



Personally, we are sheltering in place and only going out for food for us or the birds. We are lucky to be on over an acre of desert with no homes right next to us; so it's peaceful here. The removal of peace comes in thinking about the virus and how it is impacting the community and those I care about. For some it has risen anger or fear in them. That isn't healthy. So I try to not be part of the problem. Why someone would want to feed anger, I have no idea. I had a political blog and am so happy I discontinued it before this all erupted. I wouldn't like feeling I needed to comment there on it. But, with reading and listening, I have come to some opinions.


We are not going to get rid of Covid-19. It will be with us like cancer, the flu, strange immune diseases, etc. What will change is our ability to deal with those of us where our bodies do not handle it based on age or pre-existing conditions. 

Before there is a vaccine, a certain percentage of people will get it and barely know they had it. Some will feel miserable. Some will end up in ICU like Boris Johnson, and some will die. Some who die had something taking them down anyway. Some just had a drastic shutdown that caught them off guard. Once there is a vaccine, those who can get it will do so. I will try it even though I can't do flu shots. How my body handles it will concern me but so would getting the virus given I am a prime candidate for a problem with being fat, old, immune problems (that came with age), and a family history of heart disease. 

Economically, I believe the stimulus will help but sooner than some will want, the United States will have to open up the businesses as government can only give people money one of two ways-- taxing someone who made it or printing more of it with no basis behind it. The latter is how the dollar you saved ends up worth much less than it did when you saved it. Taxing is the best way, but it means someone has to be making money-- and it never can be just the wealthy-- Despite what some believe, there are not enough of them to pay for a constant dole even a worthy one like this stimulus.

Some say economics should not be considered. I guess they have enough money already and don't need jobs. For the rest of the human family, jobs are how food is gotten as well as shelter, etc. So economic considerations, meaning to trade for what we want/need, do matter. 

I think this timeout gave the medical system time to get ready for more needing their care. It is not a cure for the pandemic. When people return to a more normal life, new people will be infected. The advantage of mitigation is to space this out for care. Also, the suggested meds that might help symptoms are not a cure either. They give the body time to do its thing. 

The real answer will come with a vaccine, and it won't be without side effects either. This is the human condition and always has been. I think we thought we were beyond it after antibiotics and vaccines for things like polio, smallpox, and the rest of what has plagued mankind-- and some still do like malaria and tuberculosis.

So when business opens up, continue to wash hands, stay away from others if sick, and accept it's how life has always been. One of my beliefs is live as healthy as you can and keep a positive attitude. Dream and plan for a brighter future. Anger or fear weaken our system. It's not easy to live that way. At times, I struggle with it, but I truly believe it makes each day better and gives our bodies more tools to fight whatever comes along that attacks us.

And on a brighter note, here is another of my puzzles. This is for a book about those who headed west in the 1850s. They faced so many trials but they persevered.

10 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

'Shelter in place' sounds nice, here we call it 'self isolation'. I spent all day yesterday--the weather outside was lousy--doing nothing physical. No dog walks, no speaking, no cooking (ate leftovers), the occasional getting out of my chair to look out the window or put another log on the fire. It seems to have helped a bit. I read The Economist but I don't pretend to understand economics, all I know is that on the grand scale it works differently than on the small scale. There is enough wealth in the world to shelter us all, it's distributed very badly. Now that we have learned the hard way what really matters in life, giving up a few luxuries shouldn't hurt quite so bad. For better or worse the world is going to be very different down the road.

Rain Trueax said...

I've found it amazing how many women are dependent on hair stylists and nail salons. I have never had my nails done and cut them with a nail clipper lol. I cut my own hair although there were years I did go to a salon for a perm and a cut but every six months at the most. I enjoyed the experience. Then I quit liking it and began again to cut it myself. I wonder if this will impact women who were dependent to stop being or will they go right back when they can. It does make a person wonder how many businesses might find they don't have customers after this. I have no idea as we pretty much weren't much for clothing shopping or restaurants even before this

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I am going back the my hair stylist because getting my hair cut every other month is theraputic. after decades with the same hair stylist our friendship matters.
Love those havalenia at your little pool. I recall how difficult it was to find them when we lived in Tucson.

Rain Trueax said...

You're lucky she is still there. Mine were always retiring or getting sick. It meant continual change even down here. At this point, it's not worth the time for me or the money for that matter :) But I don't care if I am stylish; so that might be a factor.

Diannt said...

I always welcome your inner thoughts Rain and love the puzzles

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you, Diann. I like those puzzles too. A nice way to distract from too much thinking.

thelma said...

Yes I also like the way your thoughts ramble on the page, whatever this virus does it will make a lasting impression on human history. We are beginning to explore our own vulnerability in the light of death. Bit morbid for Easter weekend, so Happy Easter Rain to you and your family.

Rain Trueax said...

Happy Easter to you too and all who come on this page.

It does make one think of death especially when we had a beloved cat die in the midst of it of a stroke.

Caroline Clemmons said...

I love your photos. I read this post before and agree with you. Take care and stay safe. And, please keep posting your wonderful photos.

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you, Caroline. Your words are much appreciated.