Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 22, 2020

by Diane: Update 11: A challenging week and new directions.

 
In order to find ways to intice my husband with ALS to eat his vegies, I experiment on myself. Here is a wilted salad on my morning oatmeal. He makes the oatmeal while I sliced celery paper thin and wilt it  in sauce pan along with a handfull of spinach. No way would he like this much salad but the paper thin celery with paper thin carrots in a sauce might go down well - a challenge with his difficulty swallowing. Vegetables are not the only challenge but all foods have to be soft and just the right temperature. He needs more red meat than I. The desserts I make him are too tempting to me.
On line doctor visits was stressful just installing and bringing up the app. Got to go manage our password file so it is easier to use. Would you beieve even the beautiful weather is a challenge to my my best made plan to have an art escape. Solution: Change directions. I am now drawing  the swallows outdoors. I am using a Hobby Cream soft pencil made in Italy on charcoal paper.


5 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

I have to admit your veggies would not appeal to me and i have no problem swallowing-- yet. Have you tried peas for your husband or soft cooked carrots?

Did he get a firm diagnosis of ALS or might it still be one of the other diseases that are close to it for symptoms. Either way, much concern for you both. Tough times made tougher when something like this happens.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Peas and carrots cooked to soft consistency everyday. But only a spoonful at a meal.
It was explained that they were treating his symptoms and the diagnose was not helpful because as it progresses the end is all the same. When the insurance company passes the request for a machine that will sense his episodes of central apnea, it will breath for him. Yikes the problem is rapid decline.
Yesterday I finished preparing a garden bed for planting lettuce, peas and carrots also radishes.

Rain Trueax said...

I read there are some drugs that ease symptoms. Have they tried any of those for him? It is very upsetting to us too, as we have had a lifetime friendship with you two. Hard to believe but we are in the age where more like this we will see in our friends and ourselves. :( We are seeing so much change after years where it all went on the same-- like us turning the farm over to our son sooner than later. Old age is truly not for sissies.

Ruth Armitage said...

You are doing such a good job as caregiver! I am thankful that you can do a virtual doctor visit. It would be terrible if either of you had to battle the virus on top of all this. Stay strong ��

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you Ruth for your supportiveness. Don has to go to the hospital speech therapist to get an IPad specifically designed to help with communicating when we cannot understand him. while he is away I am painting this morning. Unless he wants me to drive and wait in the car. This afternoon he is giving grandson his fly tying equipment and supplies clearing much needed space for new needs.